Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Solid Edge - Community Edition 2022

Latest Version of Solid Edge CE available for download

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IanT12/11/2021 18:16:10
1993 forum posts
212 photos

Solid Edge 2022 was announced on October 6th and I've just been very pleased to find out that you can also now download this 2022 version under the free 'Community Edition' scheme.

It's a 3.6Gb download, which took a little while on my (non-fibre) internet connection. I also had to de-install SE-CE 2020 before I could install the newer 2022 version. However, everything seems to be working well with my existing SE drawings, which were drawn with the older version. There does seem to be some kind of adjustment happening on first opening them under the newer software though.

There seem to be a lot of "upgrades" (550 apparently) but I haven't had time to really explore them as yet. I've jumped a version (20 to 22) but generally the Ui seems very much the same at the level I'm working at (e.g. Dummy)

There was one upgrade I was hoping to see - 2.5 CAM Pro - which was announced as part of SE 2022 but which I don't seem to have. The CAM icon is there in 'Environs' but the CAM software doesn't seem to be installed.

Just to re-iterate - I'm running this on a Win10 (Home) i5 Laptop and older Windows/PCs will probably not be suitable. I would also strongly suggest you use this download page, as Googling may not find you the correct version.

Solid Edge 2022 - Community Edition

Regards,

IanT

IanT12/11/2021 19:49:47
1993 forum posts
212 photos

I'm afraid I've some not-so-good news...

Looking around my new SE 2022 Community Edition, I've noticed that in "About" - the new license will expire in 1,145 days - a limitation that my earler version did not have as far as I'm aware.

Looking at the Siemens download page more closely earlier, it also seems that the term "Lifetime License" has been changed to "Has a License that does not expire" - although this seems to be contradicted by the expiry period given in "About". If this means that you need to upgrade every year or so, it won't be a problem if every upgrade comes with a further three years license - but we'll have to see.

I'm personally still very pleased with Solid Edge CE and I'm not going to step back to SE 2020 - but other folks concerns about potential future changes to the Siemens terms do seem to have some basis.

So, I thought I'd better point this change out to potential SE users here sooner than later...

Regards,

IanT

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest