Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Hi Everyone New Member Here

Advice/ Opinions on Powered Cross Feed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Templeman28/11/2021 22:09:10
16 forum posts
12 photos

Gents, thank you both for such prompt, informative and helpful replies. I shall look up the book tomorrow, although I would think it maybe sometime before I become proficient enough on the lathe to attempt such work. Nice to know I have the facility though. 

Edited By John Templeman on 28/11/2021 22:11:46

John Templeman28/11/2021 22:14:33
16 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Chris, yes the previous owner has indeed marked the cog as you have stated, in fact the whole mod has been so well done that I honestly thought it had been fitted in the factory.

Regards John

Chris Crew28/11/2021 22:32:50
179 forum posts

John, it sounds and looks like you have acquired a fine machine from a previous owner who obviously knew what he was doing. But, and I know I am being a bit pedantic here, it is not a 'cog' it is known as a 'bull-wheel' or back-gear. I am sure the lathe will give you many years of good and accurate service. And remember, we never make mistakes, we only learn lessons and I have a very large scrap-box to prove it! Good Luck and keep us posted as to how you get on.

Howard Lewis29/11/2021 16:20:26
5751 forum posts
13 photos

You sound as if if you are fairly new to Model Engineering, but that you have made a superb start with the lathe.

It looks to have been well looked after, and in good condition.

If you have the manual, for the machinme, study it.

And, if you do not already have, buy a set of Zeus Charts, and some books on using a lathe, by such authors as L H Sparey, Ian Bradley, Neil Wyatt, or Harold Hall. You can learn a great deal from them

A very useful reference book is Tubal Cain's "Model Engineers Handbook"

All the above will provide useful information, often answering your questions before you need to ask them.

With regard to locking things.

1 DON'T engage back gear as a means of removing a stuck chuck. Unless you want a second hobby or replacing gears with broken or missing teeth! There are less damaging ways of freeing a chuck, which folk mon here will tell you if you ask.

2 If you do want to use back gear, you must find and slacken or remove the grubscrew that locks the Bull wheel to the spindle. Otherwise everything will lock up because effectively you have engaged two different gear ratios to drive the same shaft. Which is impossible..

My firstb lathe was a ML7.

The replacement , and one of the reasons for buying it was the PCF.

Wouldn't be without it. Produces a far more consistent and better finish than In can.

If you wanted to, you could arrange the feed rate to produce a spiral, as if making a small self centering chuck.

You would have to be pretty skilled to be as consistent as that with manual feed.

Just my two penn'orth.

Howard

John Templeman29/11/2021 20:06:49
16 forum posts
12 photos

Hi Chaps,

Many Thanks for your input,advice and recommendations all of which is gratefully received. I am as you have correctly guessed a newcomer to this hobby and I am looking forward to exploring its many challenges. I have already purchased many of the books you have mentioned and have ordered today the model engineers workshop manual by George Thomas. I have included a photo of my new lathe and have even had a little play with it. I am so pleased with how smooth and quiet it is when in use. I had anticipated upgrading it with a Newton Tesla AV750 package but after having used it once I think I will leave it as it is for the foreseeable future.20211127_220947 (2).jpg

This was taken after doing a 300 mile round trip and reassembling the lathe on to the cabinet. I will include a photo when it is properly set up and ready from some serious turning.

John

Howard Lewis30/11/2021 06:51:02
5751 forum posts
13 photos

Ian Bradley's "The Amateurs Workshop" or his "Myford Series 7 manual" will give details of how to eliminate twist from the bed.

In your case, it should be possible by adjusting the riser blocks.

A nice machine in good condition, ready to give you years of enjoyment.

Howard

John Templeman26/12/2021 09:34:53
16 forum posts
12 photos

Merry Christmas All,

I have been unable to use my lathe since my last post as I have been waiting for delivery of a dro from machine-dro for it and it seemed mad to set it level and true and then have to move it to install the new equipment, so I have used the time to renew the gear box oil and oil all the other points. I have also tried to familiarize myself with the controls and levers. I have now installed the dro which was an absolute doddle to do being as it was the dedicated system for the myford. I have also built some shelving for some of the various accesories that came with the machine, so now I'm good to go. Project number one which I am going to do today is to make a saddle stop for the lathe using Harold Halls plans which I have down loaded from the internet and seems to be a fairly straight forward project. I shall post the results of my labours when it is complete, for now however I will post a photo of the lathe now that it is ready to work.20211226_084021 (2).jpg

Oh the small brass ball beneath the dro display I turned the other day whilst having a play, this was my very first attempt ever at both turning a ball and using the lathe and to be honest didn't turn out to bad.

John Templeman26/12/2021 19:11:46
16 forum posts
12 photos

Well after a few hours in the shed here is the fruits of my labour and I have to say I'm chuffed to bits. It looks good (to my untrained eye) and more importantly it fits the lathe and is fully functional. I don't think I have made any mistakes although I did have to mill a couple of thou off the body to get the clamp plate to slide freely but apart from that no issues. I think tomorrow I am going to give it a through degreasing and then have a go at blueing it. The photo below shows the rough form being cut from a disc of steel20211224_102509 (2).jpg

John Templeman26/12/2021 19:12:40
16 forum posts
12 photos

This photo shows the component parts before assembly20211226_172224 (2).jpg

John Templeman26/12/2021 19:13:35
16 forum posts
12 photos

This final photo shows it assembled and ready to use 20211226_172115 (2).jpg

Howard Lewis27/12/2021 13:44:21
5751 forum posts
13 photos

A useful device which no doubt gave satisfaction and information in the making.

Keep up the good work!

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
rapid Direct
cowells
Warco
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest