Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Etching Primer - Brass

Which Primer?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
R Johns27/10/2021 18:25:50
41 forum posts

Greetings. I need some advice on etching primer for brass.

I have a spray can from autotek. The back of the can states galvanised steel also suitable for aluminium.

Do I need a different formula for brass? Does anyone have experience as internet searches are inconclusive.

Many thanks

Elmo

JasonB27/10/2021 20:02:30
21613 forum posts
2490 photos
1 articles

I tend to use U-pol's Acid 8 when spraying with a can. Halfords do it . Not used the Autotek

Jon Lawes27/10/2021 20:34:16
688 forum posts

I tend to use U-Pol Acid 8 for everything as well. It's really rather good. Used it on my locomotive, which was all brass. In the areas that got chipped in transit I touched up without using the primer and it really didn't adhere as well.

R Johns27/10/2021 20:37:10
41 forum posts

Many thanks for the replies.

I see this U-pol stuff is widely available as well. Pointless gambling on the one I have and having to clean everything up.

Regards

Elmo

Martin King 227/10/2021 21:12:19
881 forum posts
380 photos

I have used the Autotek grey etching primer for a long while now and find it to be excellent, mainly on alloy and steel but also some small brass items.

cheers, Martin

Michael Callaghan28/10/2021 10:36:35
16 forum posts

Before spraying make sure that the brass is totally clean. I have also found it helps lightly going over the surface with a scotch pad to key the surface. Acid 8 works ok.

duncan webster30/10/2021 18:15:17
3581 forum posts
65 photos

I seem to recollect that the bumph sheet which comes with Precision Paints primer claims that primer meant for aluminium doesn't have enough acid to work on brass. This might be a case of 'they would say that wouldn't they', and I have little experience either way. I also recollect that the 'how not to paint a loco' book says Acid 8 is OK. My attempts at painting are best described as spreading it around with a hairy stick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest