Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

warco 220

information

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
vernon wakefield21/10/2021 11:46:14
1 forum posts

Hi new to this forum. Can anyone tell me the length and the weight of a warco 22 please. Not sure if I got a bargain or not but just got one for £400.

Dave Halford21/10/2021 12:42:49
1820 forum posts
19 photos

4" x 19" from Bulgaria by Mashstroy C210T on Lathes .co an easy search BTW.

£1500 in 1995 !!!

John Hinkley21/10/2021 12:54:11
1199 forum posts
393 photos

Google comes up with an advertisement for one which states that it is 4ft tall, 42inches long and 18inches front to back. Sadly no info on weight, just that it is very heavy and to bring help for transportation. I'd hazard a guess at around 150kg all up.

John

John Haine21/10/2021 13:58:18
4279 forum posts
252 photos

When I sold mine I unbolted it from its bench (wood), removed the tailstock, then the buyer and I managed to get it into the back of his estate car. I sold the bench with it.

Nicholas Farr21/10/2021 14:27:32
3056 forum posts
1387 photos

Hi Vernon, this scan should help.

warco 220 lathe.jpg

Warco 220

I don't know how heavy the stand is exactly, but two people can move it easily, the cabinet part is 845 x 410mm including the door and is 865mm to the top of the tray, the tray being 910 x 465mm.

Regards Nick.

Edited By Nicholas Farr on 21/10/2021 15:00:03

Gerhard Novak21/10/2021 14:45:46
64 forum posts
70 photos

Vernon, I think you got a nice machine, I am (and I am sure more of us) looking forward to some kind of condition report...

Size and weight wise it more or less (distance between centres is 100mm longer on the Warco) compares to my Chester DB8, which I bought in 2020 (new for £1250)

Howard Lewis22/10/2021 08:43:16
5562 forum posts
13 photos

At 125 Kg it is going to be too heavy for lifting by just two people.

If you use an engine crane to lift the machine, it looks as if the Sling would need to go behind a firmly clamped Tailstock.

I don't like suggesting it, but the sling looks as it it will need to be behind the chuck.

Positioning the Saddle can be used to help balance the machine fairly level.

Alternatively. for some lathes, (including my 300Kg machine ) it is suggested to fix a clamp to the bed, suitably positioned for balance, and hook then crane onto that.

It looks to be a deep bed casting, so should be reasonably free of twist.

You have hours if not years of pleasure ahead of you!

Howard

John Haine22/10/2021 09:02:43
4279 forum posts
252 photos

As I said, based on experience, take t/s off lathe and lathe off stand, 2 people can move reasonably easily.

Gerhard Novak22/10/2021 10:23:18
64 forum posts
70 photos

My DB8 was the same weight - tailstock off, 2 people (my boy and me) and job done.

Edited By Gerhard Novak on 22/10/2021 10:23:34

Peter G. Shaw22/10/2021 10:47:48
1345 forum posts
44 photos

I bought one of these in 1995 when I lived in West Yorkshire. A few months later I moved to West Cumbria and managed to shift it by myself. I used a small trailer as transport for what was left after after having removed as much as I could first (tailstock, gearbox cover, possibly compound slide & possibly leadscrew & apron, chuck & chuck adaptor plate - these items being reasonably easy to remove). All these bits & pieces, along with accessories such as changewheels, chucks, faceplate all went in the back of my car. I have to say I don't remember how I got the bed into the trailer, only that I found that I was unable to get it into the car by myself. I assume that I used the Haltrack hoist.

At the new address, I set up an overhead runway system using some scrap parts bought from work, mounted the Haltrack hoist, manual by the way, and managed to lift the bed from the trailer, run it along the runway and place it in position on a pre-built wood (possibly a mistake) bench upon which it sits today. All the bits & pieces were then re-installed.

I haven't moved it since, other than to install a pair of cabinet heaters for rust protection, and given my age, late 70's, I doubt very much that I will ever move it again. Mind you, I do have a pair of hefty grandsons living reasonably locally if necessary, and a pair of hefty sons living about 100 miles away!

Peter G. Shaw

Nicholas Farr22/10/2021 11:19:20
3056 forum posts
1387 photos

Hi, 125Kg between two reasonably strong people is easy enough and there was only the guy I bought mine off and myself to carry it from his shed, through his back gate and on to my trailer, neither of us had to struggle with it and I had the headstock end and the tailstock was still on, use a decent pair of leather gloves and it won't dig into your hands.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
Warco
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest