Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Passing of a Fine Modeller and Engineer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joseph Noci 114/10/2021 18:43:52
1006 forum posts
1247 photos

Nick Popich, well known member of the Rand Society of Model Engineers in South Africa, passed yesterday aged 91. Perhaps some of the members on this forum knew him - he was a most Talented person and did amazing work.

Some of his early work here:

SAR 16DA

He will be missed!

Joe

Steviegtr14/10/2021 18:57:46
2244 forum posts
311 photos

Hi Joseph. I did not know him , but always sad to loose someone. He had a good innings though. Commiserations to there close friends & family.

Steve.

Luker14/10/2021 20:16:13
86 forum posts
87 photos

Uncle Nick, as I used to fondly refer to him, was my mentor and friend. He was one of the first people at the RSME to help me steam up my very first loco. He always had time for the youngsters, encouraging us and sharing his hard earned knowledge freely when needed. Uncle Nicks loco’s were built to an astonishing standard; the meticulous detail and strict proportions keeping everything to scale made each loco something to marvel at, and they all ran beautifully. Up until COVID, Uncle Nick would still bring a loco to the RSME for a few laps and to talk to the other members. You would’ve needed to attend every meet for over a year before you saw every loco he had built. One of his loco’s ‘The Springbok’ is on page 7 of Martin Evans, ‘the Model Steam Locomotive’. I was fortunate enough to drive his 16DA on one of our club days; if precision equipment were a model loco the 16DA would be it. I will miss him very much.

Uncle Nick and me with his 16DA; the day I was fortunate enough to take it round our track.

uncle nick and me 2019.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest