Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Scam

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
BOB BLACKSHAW28/09/2021 07:39:16
430 forum posts
104 photos

Is there a scam on this forum, main page advert 15% off custom parts made. There is a spelling mistake and a flashing arrow pointing to a discount code. I am using a android phone when visiting the forum.

Bob

Michael Gilligan28/09/2021 08:54:37
18924 forum posts
942 photos

Please forgive my ignorance of such matters, Bob :

… what exactly made you think it might be a scam?

MichaelG.

Ian Parkin28/09/2021 08:58:39
977 forum posts
231 photos

I cant see anything wrong with it....just a company scouting for business

BOB BLACKSHAW28/09/2021 09:11:32
430 forum posts
104 photos

Why I thought it could be a scam is the spelling for modeling was incorrect plus the pointy arrow, Ive been caught out in the past by a pointy arrow and have never clicked on one since. Also scams from BT via e-mail on my computer there sites have been convincing so Im very wary of sites that look suspicions. Sorry if i made a mistake here, I dont like pointy arrows.

Bob

Ian Parkin28/09/2021 09:44:13
977 forum posts
231 photos

Bob I didn’t see your spelling mistake at all i just saw model…engineering…. modeleng

John Hinkley28/09/2021 10:09:28
1184 forum posts
391 photos

The use of "MODELENG" as a code is a common practice for businesses. By using different, discrete codes, depending on where they place their advertisements, it allows them to track the effectiveness of their advertising placement.

Ian, I assumed that Bob is based in the USA as he has used their spelling of modeling and not the usual English modelling. His profile suggests otherwise, though, without specifically stating a country of residence.

John

BOB BLACKSHAW28/09/2021 10:14:31
430 forum posts
104 photos

I suppose its how you look at words, MODELENG on the advert looked incorrect,but I can see it as a abbreviation,I made a mistake, better to be safe than sorry.

Bob

Tony Pratt 128/09/2021 10:15:27
1692 forum posts
8 photos

Location is China.wink

Tony

Nigel Graham 228/09/2021 11:16:14
1706 forum posts
20 photos

I see you one you mean. It is actually running alongside this very panel as I type!

The arrow is reciprocating across the [Get Instant Quote] button, above which is Using coupon code: MODELENG.

The word is quite clearly a telegrammatic code, and I don't see it as dishonest - though my own abbreviation usually omits the "EL".

What is not clear, is who is advertising, but it is RapidDirect and it does eem genuine. There are no obvious walls between the ads though, and this one shares the same white rectangle as a rather irritating, rapidly-circulating list of 4 or 5 other firms.

(I find that turnover annoying. I know it allows exposure to many suppliers in a compact space, but I would prefer a slower rate. The 15% OFF slogan bouncing about as it does, is worse.)

+++

I took a calculated risk, assuming this site's publishers do verify the probity of their advertisers, and pressed the Quote button. It opened the home-page for a sheet-metal fabricating and CAD/CAM company in China, and its web-site gives a full postal address. Obtaining an "Instant Quote" is not of course instant, but some steps beyond that. I did not explore the site further.

Its intended customers are probably mass-production trade customers supplying it with the appropriate drawing-files identifying the part, one hopes, only by a generic name like "Bracket" and opaque part-number! That it advertises on a site catering mainly for amateur engineers is rather suprising, but may reflect RapidDirect not really understanding that point.

They are not the only one. I have received many direct, unsolicited, e-post advertisements for various products or services. .Although I treat all as hazardous and some are very suspicious indeed, some may be from genuine entrepeneurs who don't really understand their foreign markets but cast their nets as widely as possible.

'

A point on the spelling (modeling / modelling):

The residents of many countries for whom English is their second language, tend to learn American, not English, and often affect a generic US accent in speech! That, I was told by an English, English-teacher working in Sweden, is the Hollywood effect: using sub-titled films and TV shows mainly from the USA, as informal exercises. And of course the American-run Internet. Just don't tell President Xi!

(I'm not sure what the locals made of sub-titled, British TV soap Brookside I once saw in a cafe in Norway.....)

Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 28/09/2021 11:27:45

Bill Phinn28/09/2021 11:37:39
572 forum posts
86 photos

Nigel Graham 2:

"That it advertises on a site catering mainly for amateur engineers is rather suprising, but may reflect RapidDirect not really understanding that point."

Very likely to be the case, yes. In China the pursuit of creative hobbies is still almost non-existent, the general thinking being that if work doesn't make you any money why do it at all. Obviously there are very good historical and socio-economic reasons to explain why this attitude prevails there.

It's interesting to note the unevenness in the quality of the translations on the site.

Some pages are impressively well translated:

https://www.rapiddirect.com/surface-finish/

Others are predictably poor:

https://www.rapiddirect.com/about-us/

JA28/09/2021 11:44:37
1222 forum posts
73 photos

Having an email address as the local secretary of a world wide motorcycle club I get a lot of emails from Chinese firms looking for business. They seem to be sent randomly and I assume most are honest (I do not reply to them). This appears to be common practice.

As for American instead of English as a second language, British TV has a major influence. For example "Only Fools and Horses" in the Balkans. Recently this has been heavily reported after the death of John Challis particularly by the BBC.

JA

Peter Greene28/09/2021 17:41:29
287 forum posts
2 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 28/09/2021 11:16:14:

The residents of many countries for whom English is their second language, tend to learn American, not English,

American spelling (and word usage) is by no means uncommon from Brits on this forum either. It's creeping in there as it has in Canada.

Tony Pratt 128/09/2021 18:06:13
1692 forum posts
8 photos

Lots of crap spelling on this forum, what's new?

Tony

Russell Eberhardt28/09/2021 19:10:31
2704 forum posts
86 photos
Posted by BOB BLACKSHAW on 28/09/2021 09:11:32:

Why I thought it could be a scam is the spelling for modeling was incorrect plus the pointy arrow, Ive been caught out in the past by a pointy arrow and have never clicked on one since.

The banner with the arrow is just an animated GIF image. Perfectly O.K.

Russell

Ramon Wilson28/09/2021 22:48:39
1194 forum posts
296 photos

Irrelevant to the above but Bob - you have a PM

Tug

peak429/09/2021 01:25:32
1485 forum posts
162 photos

Surely the MODELENG isn't a spelling mistake, or an Americanisation.

This forum URL is MODEL-ENGineering.co.uk

Bill

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
walker midge
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest