By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Freeing up a domestic paper shredder. A novel use of WD40?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Greensands23/09/2021 17:55:08
261 forum posts
47 photos

I have found that an excellent way of freeing up and maintaining a domestic paper shredder is simply to spray WD40 onto the cutter blades, paying no particular attention in controlling exactly where it the goes into or onto the working mechanism. Works wonders!

Michael Gilligan23/09/2021 18:28:04
19291 forum posts
960 photos

Mine came with a squeezy bottle of special lubricant

Bought it years ago … still going strong.

MichaelG.

Edit: My post on this page confirms year of manufacture 2006

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=132802&p=16 

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 23/09/2021 18:33:05

Peter Greene23/09/2021 19:26:48
315 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Greensands on 23/09/2021 17:55:08:

I Works wonders!

Smells nice too. wink

Grindstone Cowboy23/09/2021 19:34:16
758 forum posts
60 photos

I find the GT85 spray in the red, black and white cans (sometimes on offer in Aldi) has a lovely, slightly floral smell. Coincidentally, I came across a can of Wurth aerosol lubricant that smelled exactly the same, so I suspect there may be some "badge-engineering" taking place, as the Wurth was over twice the price for a smaller tin.

Just to bring this back on topic, I have dismantled a couple of shredders, and there's very little in the cutter area that could be damaged by lubrication, so spray away!

Rob

Nigel Graham 223/09/2021 23:10:01
1772 forum posts
22 photos

I lubricate mine by soaking a sheet of paper with the oil, rather than spraying the machine.

I do have a bottle of Fellowes "Performance Oil"... special stuff then: shredders, paper, for the use of.

A little research revealed it is something called Canola Oil. Pardon? Never heard of the Canola plant.

It turned out to be no more than rapeseed-oil, so when the Fellowes bottle's empty I'll know what to use.

Michael Gilligan23/09/2021 23:55:05
19291 forum posts
960 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 23/09/2021 23:10:01:

I lubricate mine by soaking a sheet of paper with the oil, rather than spraying the machine.

I do have a bottle of Fellowes "Performance Oil"... special stuff then: shredders, paper, for the use of.

A little research revealed it is something called Canola Oil. Pardon? Never heard of the Canola plant.

It turned out to be no more than rapeseed-oil, so when the Fellowes bottle's empty I'll know what to use.

Not just any old rapeseed-oil though: **LINK**

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canola_oil

MichaelG

Peter Greene24/09/2021 01:39:08
315 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 23/09/2021 23:10:01:

Staples sell lubricant sheets for this purpose which seem to do a decent job without the mess.

Nigel Graham 224/09/2021 20:02:44
1772 forum posts
22 photos

Ah. Special rapeseed-oil then, Michael!

I expect "3-in-1" would work just as well. Possibly better because vegetable oils tend to turn to a horrible sticky goo!

Vic24/09/2021 23:27:54
2954 forum posts
8 photos

I use camelia oil on ours from time to time, seems to work ok. Soaked into a sheet of paper as Nigel said above.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
cowells
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest