Myford m series

Leadscrew gears

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bill 🇬🇧17/09/2021 00:16:06
1 forum posts
3 photos

hi all

as this is my first ever post! I'm a bit unsure of how this all works?

lm a retired watchmaker & I've only ever used small watchmakers lathes but I've recently purchased a 1947 myford m series lathe I've almost finished rebuilding it but it seem the end of the lead-screw gear wheel is missing, dose anyone have a picture of the gear that fits on the end of the lead screw that meshes with the gear train, as I may have one in the boxes of spairs that came with the lathe? Just don't know what I'm looking for, thanks in advance of any help received

bill

Michael Gilligan17/09/2021 07:31:14
18924 forum posts
942 photos

Good morning, Bill … and welcome

If I understand your question correctly : the “end of the lead-screw gear wheel” is chosen from the set, according to what thread-pitch or feed-rate you need. … It is typically one of the larger tooth-counts.

Lots of photos here: **LINK** http://www.lathes.co.uk/myford/

MichaelG.

Edit: __ also a useful generic page here: 

http://www.lathes.co.uk/latheparts/page6.html

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 17/09/2021 07:50:53

Howard Lewis17/09/2021 07:47:42
5298 forum posts
13 photos

Firstly, Welcome to the Forum.

Don't be afraid to ask about anything. VAST amounts of experience on here, should you need it. And you can help mothers if they have a problem, to whichr you know the answer.

If the M is like the early MLs, (1,2,3 and 4 ) the gears are driven from the mandrel, and on to the Leadscew by Driving Collars.

This just a collar with a grubscrew to secure it to the mandrel, or Leadscrew, with a 3/32" hole part way through to take the pin that drives the gear.

From memory, the grubscrew is 1/4 BSF

If you have to use a compound gear, the two are coupled by a 3/32" pin in the same way

So, IF this is the same arrangement as the ML4, you should have two Driving bCollars, and ideally four pins.

Four because two will be needed for the Driving Collars and the other two in case you need to have two compound gears in the train.

If you have not got the two Driving Collars, you can easily make them. They are only a simple turning job, the same thickness as a gear, probably 5/8" bore with the 1/4 BSF tapping and the 3/32 hole, drilled half way through..

HTH

How\ard.

David George 117/09/2021 09:36:32
1656 forum posts
497 photos

Hi William welcome to the forum.. I have an M Type and have loads of information on these and you can have a look in my albums for info or drop me a message. Here is a picture of the leadscrew drive.

20210917_092425.jpg

It uses a regular gear with pi and hole with a collar that has a hex head bolt that clamps into the slot milled into the stub shaft. If you are only having a single gear on this shaft there is a collar to adjust position.

David

Bazyle17/09/2021 21:31:14
6038 forum posts
220 photos

William has a picture in his album. I think he is missing the 2nd half of the dog clutch.

David George 117/09/2021 21:48:09
1656 forum posts
497 photos

I think this is the missing part.

img098.jpg

David

Ady118/09/2021 08:06:45
4728 forum posts
714 photos

I'v put some photies of the clutch here

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
BOLDON
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest