By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

XYZ AT4 VFD Parameter For Slow Start

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Barry Smith 403/09/2021 13:23:59
17 forum posts

Hi, I have a XYZ AT4 vfd working on my mill at lower speeds on either winding and its fine. But on the 2 pole motor and the two highest speeds it blows the mains 240v 10amp fuse. So I guess the higher torque is causing an excess inrush current to blow the fuse. The derating on the drive is OK, but I guess the 10amp is probably marginal but not had this on other vfds I have installed in the workshop.

I need to check the current with a camp meter but thought I would try to find if I can set the right parameter to at least limit any startup current. I'm looking at p24- overload protection buffer time, p34 -main rising velocity and p66-input stabilization time. Has anyone any advice on the best parameter to change?

Thanks

Barry

Martin Connelly03/09/2021 13:40:29
2140 forum posts
222 photos

Have you considered limiting the maximum voltage? On my AT1 it is parameter 00. This may result in lower current, I am only guessing that this is the effect as I have not changed it to see what the effect is. Obviously it may reduce available torque but it may be something to try and see what the result is. i would expect it to only change the torque at high RPM where torque may not be such an issue as you are likely to be using small diameter cutters.

Martin C

Barry Smith 403/09/2021 15:34:14
17 forum posts

Hi, I have played around with P34 (main rising velocity) the default states 10 hz/s. Mine was set at 5 so changed it to 2 Hz/s and seems to have worked. Monitoring the 240v ac in gives less of a peak and just keeps below 10amps. Running at 50H the motor is taking 8amps. Looking at the 380v line it gives around 4amps which sounds about right on one of the phases.

I am measuring amps with a clamp meter that gives 100mv per amp, so not sure if that's rms or not.

Barry

John Haine03/09/2021 16:14:01
4682 forum posts
273 photos

If you mean a clamp on current transformer, whatever you measure the volts with it's the same - rms or peak.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest