Mis-aligned hole in Stuart Half-Beam

Correcting a cock-up !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Murrell31/08/2021 11:23:42
50 forum posts
6 photos

Dear all

Cock up on my part, but I could excuse myself as I was interrupted during the machining. Anyhow, I have drilled the centre hole in the beam off centre. It is drilled to 3/8" and should end up as 1/2". It's just about 1/8" off centre.

What are my options? I thought about using the mill and rotary table to open up the hole, but centred, to more than 1/2" and then fitting a brass bushing and then drilling that (on centre) to 1/2". Or perhaps mounting the beam in the lathe and using a boring bar to produce a centred hole.

Any advice gratefully accepted. Kevin

pgk pgk31/08/2021 12:40:58
2324 forum posts
293 photos

Easily done. I made a similar error yesterday with a brain fart and forgot to halve the thickness of the edge finder when measuring to place 2 holes...luckily realised after centre drilling and could redo and hide in the size of the final holes. A bushing sounds reasonable, and option of making it larger as a new feature?

pgk

Howard Lewis31/08/2021 12:46:22
5348 forum posts
13 photos

So, pgk pgk, you are a member of my "cock up club".

I get quite practised at bushing holes to put the original hole where it SHOULD be!

Howard

JasonB31/08/2021 13:11:37
21467 forum posts
2455 photos
1 articles

I think I would open it up to say 5/8" in the correct position or whatever it rakes to get a complete hole and then turn up a bush to fit the hole and bored to suit the pivot pin and Loctite in place. Plug could be steel

Or you could make the pivot pin from larger diameter material so that the central section is a nice firm fir in the hole in the beam

pgk pgk31/08/2021 14:14:06
2324 forum posts
293 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 31/08/2021 12:46:22:

I get quite practised at bushing holes to put the original hole where it SHOULD be!

Howard

I’m also a member of the 'twice a many bits in the scrap bin as the finished item' club

pgk

Phil H131/08/2021 14:55:40
403 forum posts
46 photos
Posted by pgk pgk on 31/08/2021 14:14:06:
Posted by Howard Lewis on 31/08/2021 12:46:22:

Howard

I’m also a member of the 'twice a many bits in the scrap bin as the finished item' club

pgk

'Twice club'??? I've built my Rob Roy at least 3 times and it is still nowhere near finished.

Loctite bush sounds good.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
rapid Direct
JD Metals
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest