Vfd frequency Warco WM290 and WM280v

Conversion of older WM280v to WM290 drive system

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Deric28/08/2021 13:09:24
44 forum posts
27 photos

Hello, all,

To those owners of the Warco WM290 vf lathe.

I am planning to remove the DC motor and drive system from my WM280v and replace with a vfd and 3 phase motor. I plan to copy the set up used on the wm290.

Does anyone know the frequency limits set in the inverter for top and bottom speeds ie range B 150-2500? I know the inverter is ‘buried’ inside the machine but has anyone had a look?

By calculation, given a 4 pole motor at 50hz is 1400rpm and from manufacturers (TRC) data max frequency of 75hz. I have calculated that at the spindle 2500rpm would be 75hz whilst 150rpm would equate to approx 5hz.

For those of you with an older WM280v. Has anyone converted a WM280 to the WM290 spec? What belts and pulses did you use?

TIA

Deric

ChrisB28/08/2021 14:37:12
659 forum posts
212 photos

Hi Deric,

I have the parameter values for the WM280VF in my photo album. Check them out and see if they are of any help for you.

Chris

Cabinet Enforcer30/08/2021 13:53:47
108 forum posts
4 photos

I have a 280 and have added a VFD, I used a compact 1.1KW 80 frame 4-pole TEC motor, no manufacturer guidance on max speed/frequency, I run it up to double speed IIRC.

As for bottom end, just program in the motor to the VFD and set the min speed at zero, this lets you use the speed pot to adjust down to a full stop.

I used taper-lock z-section v-belt pulleys and nut link belt. 60mm and 140mm pulleys give a range of about 40 upto about 1300, I used to have 71mm and 106mm on there which gave a 2000 top end but the bottom end was a bit lacking in torque and would only run down to about 75.

Deric30/08/2021 14:27:35
44 forum posts
27 photos

Thank you, ChrisB and Cabinet enforcer. Those are useful, cabinet enforcer, you only use the two pulleys on motor and spindle like the original set up of the WM280v. Did you keep the original spindle pulleys and change the motor pulleys? With regard to the motor have you mounted it under the original motor position on the back of the bed? Like the 290’s position.
Regards

D

John Rudd30/08/2021 15:23:09
1452 forum posts
10 photos

FWIW,

I have a similar machine to the WM290 which originally came with a dc drive.

I changed the motor to a 2 pole 2800rpm 1.1kw 3 phase motor in an 80 frame size, it occupies the same space as vacated by the dc motor.

I used an Invertek vfd and set the max frequency to approx 72 Hz to give me the same spindle speeds as before.

I had no need to change belts or pulleys.

I used the existing speed control pot, rewired the FWD/REV switch to give the desired functionality for the vfd.

No additional switches or buttons.

Cabinet Enforcer30/08/2021 15:27:02
108 forum posts
4 photos

I use the 60 on the motor and the 140 on the spindle, if I need more speed for something specific, I can change pulleys back to the first set I bought.

I would recommend machining a bush to clamp the taperlock bush onto, if that's your chosen route, mine clamps direct to the spindle which works but isn't very practical.

The 280 has threaded holes in the bed which are sized for an 80 frame motor foot, so my motor is stood off on some threaded bar, which also provides some tension adjustment for the nutlink belt. You can see a photo in my album.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest