By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

KRV (bridgeport clone) stop removal help!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Simpson 121/08/2021 12:35:50
111 forum posts
30 photos

I need to get the spindle bearing assembly out of my quill to nip up (or replace) the bearings... It's similar to a Bridgeport but always some slight differences..

I need to remove the depth stop rod, because the socapex securing the depth stop eye into the quill also secures the top of the spindle assembly.

I have the lever of the bottom of the depth rod easily, but can't work out what the widget is at the top? (and then how to extract it)

Anyone ever dismantled one?
20210821_110317.jpg20210821_110328.jpg

Michael Smith 1521/08/2021 22:03:07
28 forum posts

On my XYZ1500 which I think is the same design as you KRV the bearing assembly can be removed without removeing the quill . In the quill at the bottom there is a small grub screw .remove this and undo the aluminium

cap , The bearing assembly will then come out, adjust the lock nuts at the top.it only takes a couple of minuets . The grub screw is at the back of the quill and not obvious unless you know were it is Hope this helps Mike

Gray6221/08/2021 22:45:25
1058 forum posts
16 photos

The part at the top of the trip rod will look something like this,

reverse trip.jpg

It is the reverse trip toggle. there should be a threaded hole in the end into which you screw a threaded bar to pull the toggle out.

I am missing mine so if you take it out, can you take some measurements and post on here

Gray

Mark Simpson 122/08/2021 10:03:00
111 forum posts
30 photos

Thank you Michael and Gray...

Now I know what it's called,I've worked out what it does... It trips the feed if you drive it to the top...
The short pin is pushed up by the eye attached to the quill, and the toggle pushes the screwed rod down to trip the feed... (it's a toggle to reverse the direction...)

I've got about 1/2 of it out, after a lot of faffing with some ground down mosquito forceps...
I still can't get the rod out because the last bit of the toggle still jams it, got a 4mm Neodium magnet rod coming on Monday which hopefully will get it...

20210822_085214.jpg

Michael, the nose piece has been butchered, prior to my ownership, and it seems was held in with araldite and the grub screw. I've built up the thread (looks like M74x1.25) with silicon bronze and will attempt to cut a new thread.

The spindle assembly (sadly) shows no sign of movement, but will keep trying...

Michael Smith 1522/08/2021 19:04:42
28 forum posts

This video shows how to remove spindle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1YJQUpNuaQ

Edited By Michael Smith 15 on 22/08/2021 19:06:02

Mark Simpson 125/08/2021 11:12:48
111 forum posts
30 photos

After considerable faffing about I got the other part of the toggle out using a 4mm dia magnet... The depth stop rod fell out and I was able to remove the eye that bolts into the quill. Photo and Sketch below... dims are approximate it's fairly mangled (not all by me!)
20210825_100613.jpg
reversetriptoggle.jpg

48 hours later I've got the spindle out; using Plus gas inserted through the hole in the quill and a M12 threaded rod with a tube on the bottom of the quill as a puller... It was stupidly tight, but I got it out without damaging anything... The video says " a gentle tap with a brass drift"

New bearings ordered and need new thread on the nose piece, more pratical now I can properly measure the thread inside the quill.

Mark

Edited By Mark Simpson 1 on 25/08/2021 11:15:50

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate