By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Hello from Winnipeg, Canada

I know very little about machining, Im also interested in the Hawker Hurricane and Classical Guitar

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Howard Lewis17/08/2021 17:02:47
5562 forum posts
13 photos

The Hurricane could take a lot more punishment, and was easier to repair than the Spitfire. As long as the missile missed the framework, it passed through the fabric with minimum effect.

The Spitfire was a stressed monocoque so a hole was more serious, and heavy damage less easily repaired, but was faster because it was sleeker.

It easier to believe that the Spitfire won the Battle of Britain, but there were a lot more Hurricanes involved, so they bore the brunt of the battle.

Both aircraft and their pilots did a splendid job for our country and the world in general.

The Defiant seemed a good idea at the time, but the heavy turret made it slower and less manouverable, so was soon withdrawn.

Howard

Mick B117/08/2021 17:28:07
2047 forum posts
117 photos

I'm not clear why the Hurricane was or is considered inferior to the Me109. I've read the numbers in the performance tables, same as anybody, but we all know they don't tell the whole story. Paul Ritchie in 'Fighter Pilot' describes actions in the Battle of France IIRC without any suspicion that his plane was less than equal to anything of the enemy's.

Howard Lewis17/08/2021 18:21:49
5562 forum posts
13 photos

I think that the Me 109 was faster than the Hurricane, and being fuel injected the engine did not cut out during violent manoeuvers. The Merlin was prone to this, in Hurricane and Spitfire, until "Miss Schilling's orifice" was fitted to the carburettors.

The Hurricane and Spitfire's advantage was that tey were more agile, and could turn more tightly than the Me, making it vulnerable.

Mick B117/08/2021 19:03:40
2047 forum posts
117 photos
Posted by Howard Lewis on 17/08/2021 18:21:49:

I think that the Me 109 was faster than the Hurricane, and being fuel injected the engine did not cut out during violent manoeuvers. The Merlin was prone to this, in Hurricane and Spitfire, until "Miss Schilling's orifice" was fitted to the carburettors.

The Hurricane and Spitfire's advantage was that tey were more agile, and could turn more tightly than the Me, making it vulnerable.

Yes, I've heard all that too! Hurricane's guns were closer together too, meaning that harmonisation of fire could be effective over a wider range of distances than Spitfire's.

Where practical, the tactic was to set the Hurricanes onto the bombers, and hold Spitfires as local reserve to fight the enemy fighters when they intervened. I wonder whether Hurricanes would've worked pretty much as well in that role - the important thing may just have been having a local reserve! And having that became progressively more possible as the Luftwaffe switched targets from RAF fields to London. That's what turned the balance for the RAF from gradually losing to more rapidly winning.

Steven Smart20/08/2021 11:55:52
18 forum posts
Posted by not done it yet on 15/08/2021 21:31:19:

…. Blondihacks, has a PM lathe and puts up lots of beginner-type youtube vids. A rather smaller version than yours but she does try hard (and mostly succeeds) with all sorts of lathe projects, etc. A popular channel.

Thanks for mentioning Blondihacks, Not done it yet.

I do enjoy her machining videos, along with Stefan Gotteswinter, plus a few others. Lots of great info on YouTube, though it’s easy to use up available spare time that would be more fulfilling to spend in the shop… We’re sure lucky to have so much information at our fingertips!

Steven Smart20/08/2021 11:58:44
18 forum posts
Posted by Harry Wilkes on 15/08/2021 21:04:43:

Welcome to the forum

H

Thank you for the welcome Harry, it’s been a lovely surprise on how many comments there were. I wasn’t expecting that.

Regards,

Steven

Steven Smart20/08/2021 12:16:55
18 forum posts
Posted by Tim Rowe on 15/08/2021 21:19:15:

Steven

Enough about the engineering stuff. What about the classical guitar?…

Tim

Hi Tim,

I would have called myself a perennial intermediate classical guitarist(?). I started playing in my late teens and played on an off for the next 30 years. I’d probably be significantly better if I’d been more consistent AND had lessons, but guitar is one of a few hobbies so not progressing is likely a side effect of having too many competing interests? (but I think putting too much energy into work and wanting to sit on the couch at the end of the day may be the primary reason for lack of progress?)

It’s been over a year, maybe coming on two years since I picked up a guitar. Through poor technique, I injured my left thumb by holding the neck way too hard, and my right thumb from holding my pen way too hard (seems to be a common thread here&hellip. After a few years they just weren’t getting better so I decided it was time for a break, work was busy anyway so it didn’t take much convincing(?) My thumbs are actually feeling quite good now and I’ve been thinking of picking up the guitar again this winter. Perhaps if I wasn’t too stupid to get lessons I wouldn’t have made this mistake?

I made myself a classical guitar in my early 20’s which was a very enjoyable project. I might even make a few more when I retire in 5-7 years. Lots of options for hobbies for sure!!!

Steven Smart20/08/2021 12:28:25
18 forum posts
Posted by Peter Greene on 16/08/2021 01:37:24:
Posted by Steven Smart on 15/08/2021 20:52:15:

..... I have a nice corner that a mill would sit perfectly in!

I'd be wary of that - you may restrict yourself if you want to machine/drill near the end of a long piece. Better to have it at the middle of a wall.

I don't have any of the problems you mentioned with my basement shop (in Mississauga) with the possible exception of tracking swarf into the living area and getting stick. Easily solved with a scrub-mat at the shop doorway. Then again, swmbo is exceptionally understanding.

Hi Peter,

Thats a good point about putting the mill into the corner. It would be better to put the floor mounted drill press there since mine is on wheels and easily moved out if I need more access.

I’m relieved to hear you don’t have any of the basement workshop issues I’ve mentioned. A scrub-mat is an excellent idea. I am concerned about smoke from cutting oil, so I’ll be experimenting with that. I wonder if garlic infused olive oil is a reasonable cutting fluid…LOL. At least my machining will be indistinguishable from my cooking then.

My swmbo is not keen on a basement shop, though it’s a lot of money to have a decent, dedicated outbuilding as a shop. It also doesn’t seem to make much sense to me when the basement is really only being used for junk storage. But that’s just me being too logical apparently.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum.

Regards,

Steven

Steven Smart20/08/2021 12:35:54
18 forum posts
Posted by David George 1 on 17/08/2021 08:06:23:

Hi Steven I don't suppose you know of my uncle who lived in Toronto, Collin Smart, he moved from Wales in 70's with my Aunt to work for McAlpine in a few prodjects.

David

Hi David,

I moved from Australia to Canada in 1996, so it’s probably unlikely I’m related to your uncle. The “Smart” side of my family hasn’t been researched by a relative who’s interested in geology (as far as I know), so my guess is that my namesake immigrated from England to Australia 100-200 years ago.

Regards,

Steven

Steven Smart20/08/2021 12:45:47
18 forum posts
Posted by Howard Lewis on 17/08/2021 17:02:47:
…The Spitfire was a stressed monocoque so a hole was more serious, and heavy damage less easily repaired….

Howard

Hi Howard,

Thinking about it more, I’m not sure if this is correct. Most attacks would have occurred from the rear of the aircraft so it seems to me that a bullet would have a pretty good probability of hitting something that required a Hurricane to be sent to a maintenance unit.

However, I’ve also read that the Hurricane had a higher serviceability than the Spitfire, so this supports what you’re saying (I think?)

Regards,

Steven

Edited By Steven Smart on 20/08/2021 13:11:31

Steven Smart20/08/2021 13:09:31
18 forum posts
Posted by Mick B1 on 17/08/2021 17:28:07:

I'm not clear why the Hurricane was or is considered inferior to the Me109….Paul Ritchie in 'Fighter Pilot' describes actions in the Battle of France IIRC without any suspicion that his plane was less than equal to anything of the enemy's…

I’ve read that most pilots felt that once they got to know their aircraft, that they felt it was better than the other types available. You’d hope this is true, it would have been very demoralizing flying a fighter which you thought was a hack…

Its such a tough question to answer on which aircraft was better, and it probably doesn’t even have a meaningful answer. The factors which could go into determining which aircraft is better depends on your perspective and could include conflicting things like: lowest cost; hours to build; serviceability; ease of handling; performance (what type of performance?); ability to be upgraded?; etc. etc. etc.

A pilot would likely rate performance over all others. Society would probably rate ‘hours to build’ and lowest cost highest (depending on the type of war), which typically conflicts with performance.

The Battle of Britain was won by both the Spitfire and Hurricane (etc.). In my opinion this is all that can be concluded in the argument of which aircraft was better. Not a very satisfying answer, but I think it’s probably the correct one?

One of the things that really interests me about the Hurricane is how it was built. Fuselage framework bolted and riveted together. Aluminium structures pop riveted together. Wings which are a hodgepodge of technologies. It’s a great example of a transition from one technology (the “biplane” era) to another (the “stressed skin” era) and I find it endlessly fascinating.

It also helps that the Hurricane was clearly better than the Spitfire (tongue firmly held in cheek)

Regards,

Steven

Edited By Steven Smart on 20/08/2021 13:12:43

Edited By Steven Smart on 20/08/2021 13:13:19

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
walker midge
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest