Forum sponsored by Forum House Ad Zone

Myford Lathe Service

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Heseltine12/08/2021 10:43:27
662 forum posts
230 photos

Hi there,

Has anyone recently used the services of Darren and Pete (ex Myford) to service their Myford 7 lathe. If so does anyone have a current email address or telephone contact number.

Thanks,

Colin

choochoo_baloo12/08/2021 14:04:56
280 forum posts
67 photos

I too would like to know the answer to this, Colin.

Colin Heseltine12/08/2021 14:07:27
662 forum posts
230 photos

I tried the mobile number and email address I'd found but did not get a response.

Colin

Nick Clarke 313/08/2021 09:28:01
1475 forum posts
64 photos

Random thought - Holidays?

I tried to contact another supplier with no response and when I did get through they said they had been away.

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 13:46:59
25 forum posts

I too am looking for someone or some company to recommission a Super 7. I’m an absolute beginner and inherited my super 7 from a pal who sadly passed away a few months ago. The lathe is in good nick. He gave me a new digital inverter to fit and gave me instructions. I’ve followed them to the letter -but the lathe will only run backwards, even if I put it in reverse! And I keep getting error messages on the rather complex inverter, a TECO L510. I’m also chasing my tail a little on levelling the machine properly. I can spend a month (or two) getting my head around programming the L510 …..then sorting out the fiddly levelling screws (all seem to be different specs!) but I’m willing to pay (well) either a professional or a suitable amateur familiar with the issues to save me those couple of months. Glos/Oxon border.

Bazyle27/12/2021 19:00:30
6377 forum posts
222 photos

Roger, if you cannot find a model engineer type from your local club who can help you need an industrial electrician not a domestic electrician and not a lathe servicer unless by chance they know a bit about electrics, Don't even think about levelling until you are not an absolute beginner, it just doesn't matter that much for most things.

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 19:08:32
25 forum posts

thanks Baz. i’ll adjust my search accordingly. yes

JA27/12/2021 19:49:55
1401 forum posts
81 photos

Roger

Do you still have the old single phase motor? If so, you could fit it to the lathe and get used to using the machine. Inverters and infinitely variable speeds are just nice to have. After all almost no lathe had such a drive until recently and many good new lathes are sold with just a single phase motor, belts and pulleys.

JA

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 19:54:59
25 forum posts

That’s good advice JA. I haven’t got the single phase motor…. But if necessary I can look for one.

Howard Lewis27/12/2021 20:20:16
6297 forum posts
15 photos

To level the lathe read Ian Bradley's books, "The Amateurs Lathe" or "The Myford Series 7 Manual"

This will tell you how to go about it and where to adjust to remove any twist from the bed.

To get the lathe to run forwards, since it has a VFD, the motor will be 3 phase unit.

As a non electrician, I believe that the way to reverse the direction of a 3 phase motor is to reverse the connection on one of the phases, at the motor.

Experts out there might like to confirm.

If it works, you will have a lathe that runs forwards, and will allow you to work until such time as someone can sort out the inverter for you.

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 27/12/2021 20:20:44

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 20:33:36
25 forum posts

I have Bradley’s book, thanks Howard, and thanks too for the thoughts about 3 phases…

Neil Lickfold27/12/2021 21:21:32
889 forum posts
195 photos
Posted by Roger Davies 4 on 27/12/2021 13:46:59:

I too am looking for someone or some company to recommission a Super 7. I’m an absolute beginner and inherited my super 7 from a pal who sadly passed away a few months ago. The lathe is in good nick. He gave me a new digital inverter to fit and gave me instructions. I’ve followed them to the letter -but the lathe will only run backwards, even if I put it in reverse! And I keep getting error messages on the rather complex inverter, a TECO L510. I’m also chasing my tail a little on levelling the machine properly. I can spend a month (or two) getting my head around programming the L510 …..then sorting out the fiddly levelling screws (all seem to be different specs!) but I’m willing to pay (well) either a professional or a suitable amateur familiar with the issues to save me those couple of months. Glos/Oxon border.

Here is the manual for your drive. Page 24 is a wiring schematic of the set up. Com and S1 is forwards, Com and S2 is reverse. Check that the 3 phase out of the L510 is correctly connected to the motor as well.

On page 42, the parameters page, if 1 is on the forward reverse parameter -00-01 , it needs to be 0 to get forward rotation from the main VFD panel on off and variable speed etc or the keypad as it is called.

You may need to get someone who knows about vfd controls to help sort out your system.

https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/L510_instruction_manual.pdf

Neil

PS, I have sent you a PM with my contact details and further information.

Edited By Neil Lickfold on 27/12/2021 21:29:45

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 21:36:29
25 forum posts

Thank you Neil, that’s very useful! Much appreciated.

SillyOldDuffer27/12/2021 21:43:04
8859 forum posts
1994 photos

Posted by Howard Lewis on 27/12/2021 20:20:16:

... I believe that the way to reverse the direction of a 3 phase motor is to reverse the connection on one of the phases, at the motor.

That's right, but not when a VFD provides the power. The electronics create 3-phase in a way that causes enormous voltage spikes if a phase is disconnected. They can damage the VFD and the motor. So wire the motor directly to the VFD and use it to control reverse, not switches or a contactor.

Sounds like the Teco 510L isn't set up correctly but start by checking the wiring!

Can Roger post photos please? Might be something obvious. (Instructions here.)

Any Teco experts able to advise?

Dave

peak427/12/2021 21:56:27
1774 forum posts
193 photos
Posted by Roger Davies 4 on 27/12/2021 20:33:36:

I have Bradley’s book, thanks Howard, and thanks too for the thoughts about 3 phases…

By default, the inverter is set to run the motor in one direction only, nominally "Forwards", so as mentioned, above, just swap any pair of the the three power leads around to reverse it.

How have you wired the whole setup, and how are you controlling it; via remote switches, or just from the front panel?

The manual is available HERE if you don't have a digital copy.
https://www.tecowestinghouse.com/Manuals/L510_instruction_manual.pdf

To reverse the motor from the front panel, you would need to change setting 00-01 from 1 to 0; As per page 4-9 from the link above.
Much better to have forward as 1 and reverse as 0, as it will make the remote switch wiring/programming easier.

Bill

Roger Davies 427/12/2021 22:12:00
25 forum posts

Thank you Dave and Bill. A very much a “newbie” to this forum I am decidedly impressed with the willing help by all of you. What a terrific group.

I hope I can repay the advice given in some way but lathes, electronics and the like are not my area of experience ( I’m an amateur blacksmith and retired explosive engineer). I will take all the advice and (carefully) try some of suggestions tomorrow, while taking some photos and noting the wiring. i’ll be back here with the results! thank you all again.
Roger

Neil Lickfold28/12/2021 00:33:32
889 forum posts
195 photos

Hi Roger,

I am only seeing TM1 (NPN) control set up information in the manual, not the TM2 (PNP), nor do I see any switch for selecting NPN (TM1) and PNP (TM2).

Neil

Neil Lickfold28/12/2021 02:50:30
889 forum posts
195 photos

Hi Roger, I had linked the wrong manual. The model L510s comes in two types, One that is NPN or PNP. Your one is PNP as the common connector is 24V. The ability to edit the above reply has gone. Will email the correct information for your drive, and the area to check with the motor plate regarding max current .

http://teco.com.sg/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/L510s-ManualEnglishV02.pdf

Neil

Roger Davies 428/12/2021 02:57:18
25 forum posts

thank you so much Neil. I am moved by your willingness to help a stranger (and burn the midnight oil too!), and indeed by all the other support from others. I hope to be able to repay the favours, or “pay it forward”. I’ll follow your guidance and let you know how I get on.

Martin King 228/12/2021 10:16:03
1014 forum posts
455 photos

Hi Roger Davies4,

"retired explosives engineer"!

That sounds like a fun job! Please elaborate!

Many years I was able to take the 3 underwater explosives courses at Fort Bovisand in Plymouth offered by the British Sub Aqua Club.

Had a great time learning the basics and it came in handy once or twice using shape charges on wreck propellers..

Apologies for the thread hijack!

Cheers, Martin

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

You can unsubscribe at anytime. View our privacy policy at www.mortons.co.uk/privacy

Support Our Partners
Eccentric Engineering
cowells
Rapid RC
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest

Donate

donate