Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Sealant or gasket material

beam engine

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Anthony Knights06/08/2021 16:18:47
562 forum posts
234 photos

I have now got to the stage with Stewart Hart's beam engine to do a final assembly and test it on compressed air. I am asking the experts here what they would suggest to use on the joints that need to be gas tight. I have checked in the workshop and found tubes of both " Red and Golden Hermetite", also a tube of "Red Hylotyte" ( which I assume is a clone of the Hermetite ). I also have a tin of "Boss White" in my plumbing kit. Does anyone here have a preference, or would they suggest something else?

Dave Halford06/08/2021 16:43:43
1729 forum posts
19 photos

If I remember rightly Boss White was rated for steam plumbing

noel shelley06/08/2021 17:35:32
759 forum posts
19 photos

I would use blue hylomar and brown paper or for thicker gaskets cornflake box. Mainly as I have it ! Golden hermetite is from memory like the hylomar. Both are nonsetting so easy to part if the need arises ! Noel.

Jim Nic06/08/2021 18:34:03
356 forum posts
200 photos

I run my engines on air without any seal between joints. I would suggest you also do this for the initial runnings so that if a strip down is required you don't have the problem of cleaning gasket gack off the faces. You may also be lucky and find that the engine doesn't leak air at the relatively low pessures you will hopefully need and you can leave it gasket free.

Jim

JasonB06/08/2021 18:46:21
21436 forum posts
2448 photos
1 articles

Like Jim I test run all my engines without gaskets, piston rings/packing or gland packing. Once happy with how they run they get painted and if I feel like sealing surfaces which I don't always then I tend to use a liquid silicon gasket as it does not add any noticeable thickness to the joints and throw the alignment out. You could get away with DIY silicon or a small tube of auto gasket from the likes of Halfords or e-bay.

Although there is nothing to really leak out when air running you can find a bit of oil works it's way out of any slight gaps after a while.

bernard towers06/08/2021 22:35:16
293 forum posts
84 photos

Jason please don’t use diy silicone it’s full of acid, use automotive gasket silicone it’s chemistry is different no corrosive elements.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Warco
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
BOLDON
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest