Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Kennedy Hexacut

Absolute newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Jones 1105/08/2021 14:01:41
5 forum posts

Hello - Very first posting from a thirty minute old new member...apologies if I have missed the answer to this in my search of the forums, but does anyone know of a perfect fit replacement motor for a Newman motor fitted to a Kennedy Hexacut?

The Newman in question is an F67855 single phase rated at 0.18kW and running at 1425 rpm/, and apparently the centrifugal switch has failed, thus burning out the auxiliary windings in the stator. Repair costs are eye-watering.

My facilities (and skills!) are very limited, so the mounting hole positions, shaft diameter etc. of any replacement need to be exactly as original.

Apologies again if I have missed an answer somewhere, but does anyone have any ideas?

Dave Halford05/08/2021 14:31:49
1746 forum posts
19 photos

measure the motor mount bolt positions and shaft size, imperial sizes are here, but you are restricted to new and therefore metric 1/4hp gets you D71 here

More Kennedy info here you will see your does not have the original motor.

Mark Jones 1105/08/2021 15:45:34
5 forum posts

Hello Dave -

Third attempt at replying to you via this posting method - keeps 'erasing' me!

Afraid I am lost with the two downloads that I tried. Both seem to be in imperial and I can find no correlation between my frame number (B204S) and the listings.

The mounting hole centres are 2 7/8" apart (ie 1 7/16" ether side of the shaft centreline) and the longitudinal distance is 1" with a shaft diameter of 5/8".

Don't want you to do all my work for me, but can you shed any more light on the direction I should take?

Best....Mark

peak405/08/2021 17:05:55
1499 forum posts
162 photos

Mark, The manuals etc are available HERE
https://raynerd.co.uk/kennedy-power-hacksaw-manual-and-files/

As far as I'm aware, they normally came with a Hoover motor, so yours may be a replacement.
The one shown on that web site seems to have a switch on the end of the motor, mine has a separate grey box in front of it, but the knock off arm works in a similar manner.

My motor doesn't have a conventional foot mount as such, just 4 holes tapped directly into the motor casing, with an aluminium spacer plate, machined on the top surface, to allow for the curvature of the motor frame.

I'm guessing any suitably sized motor will do the job with an appropriate adaptor plate.
If you can get a 6 or 8 pole one, rather than the original 4 pole 1425rpm, then so much the better, as it will slow it down a touch.

Bill

Mark Jones 1105/08/2021 18:08:05
5 forum posts

Hi Bill -

Your Hoover mounting sounds exactly like my Newman one, and your grey box switch echoes mine also. Are we related? Seriously, grateful for the info and for the link; any and all info will hone my search for the best available replacement.

As a matter of interest, I contacted LEMCO after reading Tony at Lathes UK's recommendation, but sadly they stopped manufacturing and supplying historic motors in 2015 so were unable to help. They gave me other names to contact - stairlift and golf trolley people amongst them - but Hoover are looking the most favourable (and probably the easiest available) choice at present.

That said, eBay is awash with cheapo ones at present that could well outlast me and my usage of the machine...

Best....Mark

Dave Halford05/08/2021 19:24:29
1746 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Mark Jones 11 on 05/08/2021 15:45:34:

Hello Dave -

Third attempt at replying to you via this posting method - keeps 'erasing' me!

Afraid I am lost with the two downloads that I tried. Both seem to be in imperial and I can find no correlation between my frame number (B204S) and the listings.

The mounting hole centres are 2 7/8" apart (ie 1 7/16" ether side of the shaft centreline) and the longitudinal distance is 1" with a shaft diameter of 5/8".

Don't want you to do all my work for me, but can you shed any more light on the direction I should take?

Best....Mark

Sorry Mark, link failure try this most suppliers will point you at a metric motor, your power requirement gives you a D71 mount which you will have to replicate which some ebay sellers just call a 71 frame B3 is the foot mount, the bolt holes may be quite close. The 11mm shaft size may be a problem

Mark Jones 1107/08/2021 11:36:16
5 forum posts

Hello All -

Just a courtesy update on progress so far....eventually found a firm called REMCO situated in Bognor Regis and contacted a Matthew Ainsworth there, sending him photos of my rogue motor together with critical dimensions.

Result - a suitable, seemingly near perfect match was found and ordered. Arriving in two days time....to be continued....

Mark

Mark Jones 1113/08/2021 20:42:19
5 forum posts

Hello All -

Another update...despite best efforts, the REMCO unit would not fit the Hexacut base/bed. Although it had the correct size shaft, the motor had a circular outer casing and the reciprocating arm that drives the saw fouled it.

What is needed seems to be a motor with a 'flattened' casing and I am now hoping to find a Hoover/Newman/Crompton Parkinson motor (all of which seem to have been an option for the Hexacut in the past) with tapped mounting holes that will hopefully match those in the existing bed and allow the arm to clear it.

Hope all that makes sense, but Bill (peak4) has described the issue far more succinctly...

More in hope than expectation....Mark

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest