Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Maximat V10-P Lathe Headstock Gears

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Morgan 122/07/2021 20:35:00
8 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Folks, Could anyone recommend a supplier of head stock gears now that Pro Machine Tools Ltd appear to have stopped trading?

Many thanks,

Dave

roy entwistle23/07/2021 16:45:31
1401 forum posts

I've just been on their website, no sign of then ceasing trading

Roy

Howard Lewis23/07/2021 16:49:30
5237 forum posts
13 photos

Just looked on their website.

It says that they will be open at 09:00 on Monday

Howard

JasonB23/07/2021 18:49:43
21315 forum posts
2419 photos
1 articles

Strange as I get the same empty main page with the message that has been there for about six months

WE ARE CURRENTLY PERFORMING SOME SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE.
WE WILL BE BACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. PLEASE CHECK BACK SOON.

Previous thread here

Dave Morgan 124/07/2021 09:26:04
8 forum posts
7 photos

Thank all for your responses and the link to the other thread. I have been trying for some months now and phoning too but to no avail hence my conclusion that they had ceased trading.

Pete Rimmer24/07/2021 11:35:31
1047 forum posts
58 photos

Dave if you post up some details/pics of the gear you need I might be able to help if you can't find anywhere that supplies it. I take it the original gear is plastic or fiber?

not done it yet24/07/2021 11:37:28
6279 forum posts
20 photos

I might just stop and have a look, next time I’ m going through Barnack.

Dave Morgan 125/07/2021 12:10:10
8 forum posts
7 photos

Hi Pete,

The issue I am having is with the connection between the gears as the drive teeth have worn. Both of these gears are on the same shaft with the splined gear driving the other gear. This is causing chattering when I start the lathe in the two highest speeds which is the only time these gears are engaged with each other. I have created an album called "Gears and Stuff" that has more images in it but the two attached images show the worn teeth on both gears. I will make sketches the gears and add these to the album. The teeth are about 0.030" smaller than the slot they engage with.

Thanks,

Dave

drive gear 3.jpgdriven gear 4.jpg

Dave Morgan 127/07/2021 20:20:05
8 forum posts
7 photos

I contacted Pro Machine Tools Ltd through their Ebay account and they are still trading but are struggling to get parts from the EU which is why their website has been down.

Oily Rag27/07/2021 22:13:55
460 forum posts
147 photos

Never a good idea to have drive dogs with parallel faces, any drive gear dog worth its salt will have a subtle back taper on the drive faces (look at a motorcycle dog box for an example ). Stops the gears jumping out under load as well! Interestingly M/c dog gears have way more than 0.030" backlash between 'on drive' and 'off drive'. This primarily helps with under power gear changes, not something you will be interested in though I suspect!!

Martin

JasonB28/07/2021 06:56:59
21315 forum posts
2419 photos
1 articles

Dave, might also be worth asking on the Emco user group. Not been on there for a long time but lots of info there when I had my Emcomat 8.6

not done it yet28/07/2021 12:43:42
6279 forum posts
20 photos

Latest news about them

Apparently still trading, but …

The owner(?) of the unit opposite told me that the owner was severely asthmatic and only looks in a couple or perhaps three times a week - he has been shielding/furloughing for some time.

The gent told me that he was there ‘most of yesterday’. He noted down my ‘phone number and said he would pass it to him the next time he sees him. He also said he is never ever there on a Friday.

Dave Morgan 128/07/2021 17:02:19
8 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks guys for the additional info especially the Emco user group details.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest