Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Help to identify Lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
James Hendry 101/07/2021 17:36:23
2 forum posts
4 photos

lathe 2.jpgHello

Looking for some help , can anyone identify this lathe ' obviously very old as it has been 'Foot Powered' in the past . Any ideas of Manufacturer and year of manufacture , any idea if I can get any literature on it. Many Thanks Jim

lathe 1.jpg

Brian Wood01/07/2021 18:24:06
2441 forum posts
37 photos

Hello James,

My guess is a Drummond. There are plenty of owners who will give you a better opinion and you will get a lot more information from the Drummond entry on Tony Griffith's superb archive website----www.lathes.co.uk

Regards

Brian

Keith Long01/07/2021 18:38:29
865 forum posts
11 photos

Yep, Drummond M type.

For a LOT of info try the "drummondlathe@groups.io".

Once you've become a "member" you can access the files and you'll find a load of information about all of the Drummond manufactured lathes. As a "non-member" you should still be able to see the topics under discussion and get a feel for the depth of knowledge, friendliness and helpfulness of the rest of the group.

Keith

Ady101/07/2021 19:24:34
4724 forum posts
713 photos

Drummond M. Solid as a rock. Loads of people still use them and lots of info about on the net

James Hendry 101/07/2021 21:30:59
2 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for info guys , yes Drummond M Type , I have now downloaded plenty reading material

Thanks again

Jim

Howard Lewis01/07/2021 21:40:53
5298 forum posts
13 photos

Have never owned one, but know that there are folk who do good work on them

(An ex work colleague boughtb one for £10 as "surplus to requirements" from our R & D area. I just wish that i could produce the sort of work that he does with it, dwpite being at least a hundred years old. (Drummond Lathe not colleague )

You have the potential for Years of pleasure and useful work.

Enjoy!

Howard

Pete Rimmer02/07/2021 06:40:49
1067 forum posts
69 photos

Drummond M as said but whomever had it in that corner didn't use it there. You need good access to the end gears which are fiddly enough to swap about but stuck against the wall like that would be very frustrating.

Nicholas Farr02/07/2021 09:57:32
2984 forum posts
1352 photos

Hi, I would swap that on / off switch with a NVR start / stop before I use it, if it were mine.

Regards Nick.

Dave Halford02/07/2021 21:05:37
1723 forum posts
19 photos

You can get a simple non latch RCD that fulfills the NVR duty for small motors and still keep the handy on/off switch

Nicholas Farr02/07/2021 22:17:24
2984 forum posts
1352 photos

Hi, Dave, one of those non latch RCD's would suffice in the event of a power cut but apart from the switch and the wiring looking untidy and a potential safety hazard, a proper start / stop e.g. similar to NVR Switch will include an easy to reach and knock off, emergency stop button.

Regards Nick.

David George 103/07/2021 22:46:19
1654 forum posts
497 photos

Hi James. have a look on here. https://groups.io/g/drummondlathe there is loads of help and information on there. Join and look in the files section.

David

Lee Rogers04/07/2021 09:13:58
142 forum posts

Very early Drummond M Type . Belt drive is the give away.

Rob McSweeney05/07/2021 09:05:31
59 forum posts

If you do Facebook , there is also a Drummond?Myford group on there, which is more active than groups.io, and much easier to post photos to

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
emcomachinetools
BOLDON
cowells
rapid Direct
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest