Dial Gauge

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Vic23/06/2021 14:34:06
3014 forum posts
8 photos

I’ve got a back plunger Dial Gauge like this:

**LINK**

But it doesn’t get as much use as it might due to the 1/4” mounting shaft fixture. Any suggestions on what I should make or buy to make this more easily mounted on my mag bases etc? Links to products or pictures would be good. TIA.

Tony Pratt 123/06/2021 14:47:56
1829 forum posts
12 photos

My first hit with searching 'DTI universal clamp' came up with a 1/4" x 3/8" size from MSC, should be no problem matching one to your particular needs?

Tony

Howard Lewis23/06/2021 15:11:59
5748 forum posts
13 photos

If all else fails, you can make a bespoke one to clamp the FTI to the stem on your your Mag Base column

After all, we are supposed to be Engineers, with the ability and facilities to make things!

(Two small pieces of square bar, each with two drillings (Reamed holes would be best ) at right angles to each other. On one piece sized to suit the column on the Mag Base, and to suit the DTI stem on the other, with a common sized drilling, to suit the clamp screw.

The only other operation is to slit each block across the clamp screw drilling, so that tightening the clamp screw closes the slit.

If you cannot make a knurled knob for clamping, an Allen capscrew and nut will do the job.

It may be a hybrid, clamping to a metric column, to hold an Imperial stem DTI.

"C'est brusque, mais ca marche"

SO WHAT?

It will do the job that you require.

Or if the hole in one part matches the Mag Base column and the other is oversize for the DTI stem, turn up a sleeve to match the stem to the hole, and split it.longitudinally.

Howard

Edited By Howard Lewis on 23/06/2021 15:12:31

Vic23/06/2021 15:59:36
3014 forum posts
8 photos

I do have a variety of different fittings for DTI mounts but nothing suitable at the moment. Many years ago I did buy very cheaply a double mount that has 4mm and 8mm holes that fits absolutely nothing I currently have! laugh

I have a 1/4” reamer, slitting saws and a knurling tool, I just need inspiration for the best type of mount to make.

Nigel Graham 223/06/2021 16:22:25
1898 forum posts
26 photos

I would trust a Starrett quarter-inch to be a true quarter-inch, unlike some of the what-the-'eck diameters on some of my bought stand clamps and bars.

Nevertheless there seems a Law - it must have someone's name on it - that when you need assemble a set of commercially-made fittings that are nominally compatible... they aren't.

I became so fed up one afternoon trying to mount a DTI and stand on my large lathe I spent the rest of the time making assorted rods to fit my Imperially-dimensioned instruments to the somewhere-handy, bought parts made to Elbonian Standard rather than French Revolutionary, mm.

Vic25/06/2021 12:07:31
3014 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Nigel Graham 2 on 23/06/2021 16:22:25:

I would trust a Starrett quarter-inch to be a true quarter-inch, unlike some of the what-the-'eck diameters on some of my bought stand clamps and bars.

According to my Moore & Wright its actually 6.26mm. laugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
rapid Direct
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest