By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Metric Imperial holograph rule

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
sparky mike23/06/2021 08:10:24
243 forum posts
57 photos

I found a 12" plastic holograph rule in my late father's wooden tool chest.

Is it still possible to buy these and if so , where from ?

Seems like a good idea to me. You just tilt the rule to get either metric of imperial figures.

What age would this be from, 70's ?


sparky mike23/06/2021 08:47:02
243 forum posts
57 photos


Edited By sparky mike on 23/06/2021 08:50:06

Nigel Graham 223/06/2021 09:17:53
1898 forum posts
26 photos

I must admit that is the first time I have heard of these, but unless it was heavily patented, one possible maker is Blundell--Harling, of Weymouth.

This is an independent firm that used to make slide-rules but with the loss of that market, it turned successfully to what it does now, manufacturing drawing-boards and many types of measuring-rules and scales.

Nigel Taylor 223/06/2021 13:51:14
19 forum posts
8 photos

I have a 6" version of this rule. I obtained it in a 'swap' with someone at school in the early '70s. Possibly this was given out as a gift at a trade exhibition or similar. I don't know the significance of the name on the reverse.



Nigel Graham 223/06/2021 16:01:31
1898 forum posts
26 photos

The name is " significant " as almost certainly the manufacturer, but whether the firm still exists is another matter.

sparky mike23/06/2021 19:15:24
243 forum posts
57 photos

I just found a name on the rear, so small I had missed it.

It is made by Varivue. MFG USA. Pat.NO. 2.815.310 .... also Pat no.2.399.938 (the 3 might be 2 or another number. A job to read.)


old mart23/06/2021 20:14:01
3510 forum posts
216 photos

I've never seen one, are you sure it is a holograph and not a diffraction grating?

sparky mike23/06/2021 21:32:47
243 forum posts
57 photos

It seems to work like the images on some credit cards. There is another name for it but can't remember it.

One for sale on UK Ebay right now but none on the US Ebay, which is the place where I thought they would be found. With the US Pat. number it should be possible to look that up and it will describe the technique in detail I would think.


HOWARDT23/06/2021 21:56:15
836 forum posts
39 photos

I used to have one, went the way of most advertising items. Can’t remember where I got mine.

Robert Atkinson 223/06/2021 22:08:28
1151 forum posts
20 photos

Not a hologram but a set of grating like lenses with two printed images below. Changing the viewing angle causes one image or the other to appear. The lenses were normally just embossed plastic sheet.
More commonly found in childrens novelty items were the illusion of movement is produced.

Not very much use for preceion meaurement, at least one scle wll have parallax error by design.

Robert G8RPI.

Edited By Robert Atkinson 2 on 23/06/2021 22:27:04

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
walker midge
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest