Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

So, you know about clocks!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
David Noble22/06/2021 16:33:37
269 forum posts
11 photos

Since I've been pretending to be a horologist, I seem to have found out that I have lots of friends with a clock that needs repairing. I have managed to field most of them but today a friend has asked me to repair a mantle clock that has been left to her by her mother which 'Doesn't work anymore' I have told her that I don't have the skill to repair it and she asked me to suggest someone.

I'm asking for suggestions how to find a reputable clock repairer. Preferably in the north of the uk. My 'professional' opinion is that it needs a proper clean.

Thanks, David

Edited By David Noble on 22/06/2021 16:38:14

duncan webster22/06/2021 16:57:36
3456 forum posts
63 photos

It can get tiresome, 'can you just' means that whoever has no idea of the amount of work involved, but will be mortally offended if you turn them down

This might be worth a punt BHI

Brian H22/06/2021 17:42:48
2214 forum posts
113 photos

Duncan is spot on. BMI have a list of accredited repairers.

They also have excellent open days and can provide training.

Brian

Edited By Brian H on 22/06/2021 17:43:50

Dave S22/06/2021 18:09:20
204 forum posts
41 photos

You could try Bernard Whitworth near Newark.
Afraid I can’t find his contact details, my google-fu seems weak today.

Dave

David Noble22/06/2021 21:18:47
269 forum posts
11 photos

Thank you, I've sent BHI a message. Hope to hear back soon.

David

speelwerk22/06/2021 21:28:12
414 forum posts
1 photos

You can also start here **LINK**

http://www.antique-horology.org

Click the dot in the restorers column  next to Great Britain.

Niko.

Edited By speelwerk on 22/06/2021 21:30:56

vic newey22/06/2021 22:22:18
97 forum posts
59 photos

I used to enjoy fixing clocks, I was working in a womans house decades ago and there was a grandfather clock in the hall, an 18/19th century type with painted dial

It wasn't working so I asked the lady about it. oh she said, my Daughters ex husband bought it for her and it used to work at one time.

I offered to take a look and she readily agreed, I opened the case and discovered there were hardly any parts of the mechanism there, just the bare bones so impossible to have worked, she assured me it did work so unless her ex had sneaked in and removed the cogs it was a bit of a mystery laugh

Martin Kyte23/06/2021 09:19:24
2536 forum posts
45 photos

You have to have a policy really and be consistant. Mine is that as a general principle I do not repair clocks which is what people are told when they ask. That said I  may offer to oil the clock and set it in beat, which normally 'fixes' the clock unless something has actually broken. I don't do anything more complex unless it's a very interesting clock which excludes anything mass produced and with the exception of people I have a particular affection for.

My reason (excuse if you like) is it eats up your time especially if you get known for it. You should also be aware that like new hatched ducks, once you have worked on a clock it will adopt you as mother and follow you around for the rest of your life.

Others may love doing jobs for other people and see it as their main activity workshop wise which is great. I don't and my fear is that I would be unable to do the things I really wanted to do. It still makes me feel mean at times though.

regards Martin

Edited By Martin Kyte on 23/06/2021 09:20:02

Edited By Martin Kyte on 23/06/2021 09:20:59

V8Eng23/06/2021 09:29:19
1627 forum posts
32 photos

From personal experience I can recommend the Clock Workshop in Witney (Oxon) it was first recommended to me by a friend.

May be a bit far south for you though?

David Noble23/06/2021 11:50:42
269 forum posts
11 photos

Thank you all for the suggestions, lots of information there. Thanks also for the advice

David

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest