All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nigel Graham 217/09/2021 10:46:19
1706 forum posts
20 photos

Yes, and I'm the Shah of Persia...

... but notice what it does not ask for:

"

PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE (PCHlotto-2021 Gift)

we are happy to inform you of the result of the just concluded annual final draws held on the 12th September 2021 by Publishers Clearing House Promotion program powered and sponsored by the EU and UN to fight this Pandemic Covid-19 your email was among the 10 Lucky winners who won $650,000.00 USD each on THE PUBLISHERS CLEARING HOUSE PROMOTION.

You are advice to complete the form and send it immediately to our Promotion manager through email.

1, Full Name: ...............................
2, Country of Residence: .................
3, Nationality: ..................................
4, Residential Address: ....................
5, Date Of Birth/Age: ........................
6, Marital Status/Sex: .......................
7, Telephone /Fax No: ........................
8, Mobile No: .....................................
9, Occupation: ...................................
10, Winning Email Address..................

Send your details Via this email: Publishers_ClearingHouse@workmail.com

WISHING YOU A HAPPY DAY !!!
(CONTACT PROMOTION MANAGER)

Mr. David Smith

Online Award Director.
Publisher's Clearing House.
"

The message's domain ended ".br". I don't know where that is but I bet Mr. David Smith is not his real name!

Clive Hartland17/09/2021 12:47:30
2724 forum posts
40 photos

The fact that they say 650 million should tell you to pull up the shutters quickly, nobody is going to give away more than what the company is worth!

Bryan Cedar 117/09/2021 13:41:09
82 forum posts
4 photos

Thousand not millions. Not worth answering for such a puny amount!

Oily Rag17/09/2021 14:34:57
480 forum posts
152 photos

I have just had a call from Virgin Media (allegedly) informing me that my router had a serious problem, a very pleasant Indian fellow told me - they had detected the problem in my connection speed. He said he was a technician that needed to check my router software as there was a definite problem with it. I played him along (I have Sky Internet!)

First thing I said was "send me a new router then, if there is a problem with it". "Oh, but I need to check the software on it first" he said. "But you told me you have checked it already - just send me a new router, you have the address" "No, I need to check it remotely, please switch on your device and go to the following address".

Now this is where they take control of your PC and search for all your bank details and data. I carried on playing him along by pretending to switch on and doing as he said. I told him the address he had given me was blocked as being an insecure and dangerous site. "What fire wall do you have?" he asked. I told him "Double Ace" - this threw him as he had never heard of it (neither have I - I made it up on the spur of the moment). I then said if you are a technician you should have heard of it - it is to stop scammers and fraudulent people. He then asked if I had a internet speed reader programme - I said yes - he asked me to run it and tell him the upload and download speeds, I made him wait while I pretended to load the programme. The told him the speeds were 350 Mbs download and 415 Mbs upload - he said "there is the proof that there is a problem!" - I told him that the reason is down to internet bandwidth usage within my area and background programmes running on my PC. I again told him to send me a new router if there was a problem and if there is an issue with the software you can re-programme it from his end, no need for me to intervene.

After keeping him on line for the best part of 30 minutes he eventually hung up on me! It's a great game to play on these bar stewards!

Martin

Mike Poole17/09/2021 17:30:04
3071 forum posts
72 photos

30mins is a good run, I start out to string them along as much as possible but then get bored and lose interest. There are some smart guys on YouTube who turn the tables on them and take control of their machines.

Mike

Peter Greene17/09/2021 22:39:50
287 forum posts
2 photos

In my view, major telephone companies are as guilty as the scammers in some of this and should be dealt with under criminal law.

For example, a typical scam (around here at least - Ontario) involves persuading the innocent (often elderly and/or mentally deficient) to push a button. At that point a charge is made to their account.

The fact that the telephone company knows that its lines are being used for criminal activity and takes no steps to stop it makes them complicit in my view. The best way would be to eliminate charge-back lines altogether - they may have had their uses once. I'm not sure whether they are much used these days (except by scammers).

Failing that, they should give subscribers the ability to opt-out of these lines.

charadam17/09/2021 23:03:32
184 forum posts
6 photos

I usually ask them to input their 4-digit PIN number on their keypad so as to confirm their identity.

Usually does the trick.

pgk pgk17/09/2021 23:43:30
2317 forum posts
293 photos

I used to ask for their name and employee reference number to carry out a security check but got bored with that. Now I just tell them I need to fire up the PC and put the phone down and let them hang...

Robin Graham21/09/2021 23:15:04
874 forum posts
261 photos

Here's a strange one from my inbox today:

Dear null,

Great news! We’ve automatically upgraded your 50 GB iCloud storage plan to iCloud+ at no additional charge, and you can now share your subscription with your family.

Maybe it's genuine - I have an iPhone and Apple abstracts 79p from my bank account every month, which I think has something to do with iCloud. But the salutation is strange, and doesn't give me a warm 'I'm part of the global Apple family' feeling. Or even a tepid 'I'm a human being' feeling.

I don't think I'll click on the 'find out more' link though.

char *Robin;  /*(aka null)*/

/* I'd like to know how this happened - any computer language buffs out there? */

Edited By Robin Graham on 21/09/2021 23:16:52

Edited By Robin Graham on 21/09/2021 23:23:27

Grindstone Cowboy22/09/2021 00:06:43
708 forum posts
58 photos

iCloud Plus is apparently a new feature being rolled out to existing iCloud subscribers, so I would think the email is genuine.

Regarding your new "name", I suspect you haven't supplied them with your forename when signing up. Or they just didn't test their mailing list code properly. devil

Rob

Bazyle22/09/2021 13:23:04
6038 forum posts
220 photos

Beware that it is no extra charge at present but when it comes to the next phase you will be deemed to want the extra facility at the extra charge.
A few years ago one of my clubs was caught out by 'free' features we didn't want or use from the website provider. Then the following year they deemed them accepted as extras and very underhandedly charged for only 6 months at almost double the rate so the bill looked the same.

Samsaranda22/09/2021 17:11:35
1207 forum posts
5 photos

My hearing is very bad and when I get someone from the Indian subcontinent on the phone I really struggle to understand what they are saying, this makes it very difficult to have fun and string them along , which I would very much like to indulge in. 😇 Dave W

Zan22/09/2021 17:56:00
282 forum posts
19 photos

Try this

I’m an old man and my son is a financial adviser and he doesn’t let me use the computer

its compromised you need to switch it on

how do I do that?

press the button

which one?
the one on the base unit

whats a base unit?
etc etc for about so mins

then. Change voice from old man

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE TROUBLING MY DAD HES 92 AND HAS NEVER USED A COMPUTER. ….etc etc

great fun if you have half an hour to waste…..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
walker midge
BOLDON
emcomachinetools
Warco
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest