By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What V belt cross section for use on a standard sized Picador pulley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Tinsley10/06/2021 12:48:27
1461 forum posts

Having a case of brain fade today. I have a 2" Picador pulley, for which I need a V belt. Cannot for the life of me find this simple info!

I seem to remember that the belts are an "A "cross section, is this correct?

Thanks,

Andrew.

Howard Lewis10/06/2021 13:12:38
5237 forum posts
13 photos

My guess would be A section.

In which case, for pulleys less than 118 mm diameter, the outer edge of the groove should be 13.1 mm wide, with an angle of 34 degrees.. (Kempes Engineers Year Book )

HTH

Howard

Mark Rand10/06/2021 13:25:42
1055 forum posts
12 photos

Could be any section that was ever made. Picador made a lot of pulleys,

belt-sections-sizes.jpg

William Chitham10/06/2021 13:41:59
122 forum posts
49 photos

I happened to be looking at V belts on the Simply Bearings web site yesterday and they have teeny tiny ones down to 5mm width as well - "VB Classical".

W.

Swarf, Mostly!10/06/2021 13:53:47
606 forum posts
62 photos

Hi there, all,

Working from memory here but offered in good faith:

I believe that 'Picador' pulleys are 'A'-section while 'Z' or 'M' section pulleys from the same stable were branded 'Pelican'.

I have several of each size but they're all in a box several layers down so I can't easily do a physical check!!!!

Sad that they're no longer trading.

One source of Vee-belt info in the old days was the Fenner literature. There was also a book by (I believe) 'Duplex' - I don't know if it is still in print.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Andrew Tinsley10/06/2021 17:24:31
1461 forum posts

Thanks everyone,

Looks as though it is indeed an "A" size. I even had Kempes yearbook in front of me when I typed out the query. As for Mark's comment about being any size, I seriously doubt this. I must have seen a few hundred Picador pulleys over the years and they have all been the same belt size. I think that Swarf Mostly is correct in saying other sizes were branded Pelican.

Anyway all is sorted and I checked an "A" belt on the pulley and it is the correct fit. I don't think I was too good this morning, otherwise I would never have asked such a question. Maybe I should have a chat with my GP.

Thanks everyone,

Andrew.

Dave Halford10/06/2021 17:33:55
1671 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by Andrew Tinsley on 10/06/2021 17:24:31:

Thanks everyone,

Maybe I should have a chat with my GP.

Thanks everyone,

Andrew.

In your dreams

old mart10/06/2021 17:56:41
3316 forum posts
203 photos

Not your GP, you want your BS, (belt supplier).laugh

Andrew Tinsley10/06/2021 20:15:32
1461 forum posts

Hello Dave,

Not difficult to chat to my GP as he is a neighbour!

Andrew.

Bob Worsley16/06/2021 18:35:49
103 forum posts

Doing Vee belts as well, and the minimum diameter A section pulley is 3" from my findings.

Andrew Tinsley16/06/2021 18:42:50
1461 forum posts

Hello Bob, that is interesting I now have an A section belt running happily on the 2" pulley, Maybe working well because I have used a notched pulley which bend more easily.

Where did you find the 3" minimum diameter? Please don't say Kempes handbook!!!!

Thanks ,

Andrew.

Bob Worsley18/06/2021 12:16:32
103 forum posts

I did a search for stepped Vee pulleys, and was surprised at how many people make them. It was just in the application information section of their web sites.

There seem to be fairly strict limits on minimum pulley diameters, maximum ratios and shaft centre distances.

I needed a four step pulley to get the speed range on a mill, and to get a nice geometric ratio of speeds needed 3, 4, 5 and 6 inches at least, but 4" would be better to get the thing to actually drive when in the step up direction.

Use poly-vee belts? Expensive though.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
Dreweatts
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
cowells
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest