169 forum posts
I don't often order directly from America but when I lost a 'snug' for a nice Starrett set I had, it was the only place I could find a replacement. Imagine my surprise when the item arrived in its nice red Starrett box but with a label warning me that the clamp can cause cancer. On closer reading this risk seems to be limited to Californians and, as I live in Birmingham, I think I am safe.
Should I be taking any precautions?
Edited By lfoggy on 08/06/2021 17:36:17
|old mart||08/06/2021 17:37:30|
|3351 forum posts|
Yes, don't chew it.
|Tony Pratt 1||08/06/2021 17:56:03|
|1707 forum posts|
Jeez the world has gone mad! Now someone will pop up to justify the label.
|Mark Rand||08/06/2021 18:55:46|
|1062 forum posts|
The labels are printed with lead based ink and fixed to the box with a plutonium based glue...
Edited By Mark Rand on 08/06/2021 18:56:38
|Bill Phinn||08/06/2021 18:59:27|
|576 forum posts|
I'm sure Starrett could justify the label, since its existence, like that of many such labels these days, can be explained in one word: litigation.
|Jon Lawes||08/06/2021 19:07:23|
657 forum posts
Isn't it awful when people discuss things?
|Michael Gilligan||08/06/2021 19:33:50|
18995 forum posts
The referenced website will give you the story: **LINK**
But if you’ve lived in Birmingham for a while, you have probably already ingested orders-of-magnitude more Lead than 63% of Californians would consider safe.
|1169 forum posts|
Been a long time since the 2 Ks were boasting "mines bigger than yours" like teenagers in a changing room, but fact is, Krushchev and Kennedy s penny bangers chucked loads of radioactive muck high into the atmosphere and it's still falling back to earth today, increasing 'background radioactivity' half a century later. Cancer treatment centres very busy, wonder how many Cs can be blamed on the Ks toys?
|Nigel Graham 2||08/06/2021 22:12:06|
|1712 forum posts|
I'm puzzled how they even imagine the clamp can "expose" you to lead, even if it is made from free-cutting steel. Or how items so clearly dangerous in the state that harbours Hollywood would be perfectly safe in the state next door.
In my working life my superiors sometimes became all waffly and terrified by scrap pieces of a material called Lead Titanate, insisting it could not be put in the ordinary rubbish skip but unable to offer any sensible disposal advice.
It was that L-word that got their mouse-leads in a twist.
Yet it is a ceramic - as far as I know virtually insoluble in anything short of perhaps hydroflouric acid, and certainly insoluble in water. I hoped they did not keep their wine in crystal-glass decanters and serve their Sunday Dinners on plates made from china-clay, from kitchens with glazed stoneware sinks and genuine granite (or basalt sold as "granite" ) work-tops....
What did I know though? I were only a lab-floor oik with no high-flown ologies in maths and computers!
Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 08/06/2021 22:12:39
Edited By Nigel Graham 2 on 08/06/2021 22:13:28
|Jim Mason||08/06/2021 22:36:42|
|8 forum posts|
"By law, a warning must be given for listed chemicals unless the exposure is low enough to pose no significant risk of cancer or is significantly below levels observed to cause birth defects or other reproductive harm."
How on earth can that clamp pose a 'significant' risk of exposure to anything. Totally nuts.
4755 forum posts
169 forum posts
If it's considered necessary to put this warning on an inert steel clamp, then any item made of steel, or just containing steel, must carry the same warning. Thats virtually everything in a workshop and beyond. I would guess every person in the UK has physical contact with steel every day.
The value of warning labels then becomes nil....
Do all steel alloys contain lead?
|Martin Kyte||09/06/2021 09:47:56|
2571 forum posts
No. But all substances are toxic including water.
|Oven Man||09/06/2021 10:00:41|
158 forum posts
The box for my Starrett automatic centre punch has the same label. I don't think it refers to the product itself, more to the to the use of it on materials that may contain carcenagetic elements like lead.
|John Olsen||09/06/2021 11:03:03|
|1198 forum posts|
It is a CYA thing, you can get in trouble in California by not putting the label on, but you don't get in trouble by putting it on when it is not needed. So the natural result is that firms play it safe by putting it on practically anything.
|larry phelan 1||09/06/2021 12:24:04|
|1095 forum posts|
Just to be sure, to be sure, as they say around here !
|mark costello 1||09/06/2021 20:36:23|
671 forum posts
If We could only find a way to put a toxic label on Hollywood..............!
7574 forum posts
Don't see a problem with warning labels; I'd rather be told there's a risk and make my own mind up than be sold potentially harmful goods and discover the dangers myself. I like the Nanny State to mark dangerous bends in the road with big chevron signs that glow in the dark.
I think information is good. Guesswork, assumptions, 'common-sense', prejudice, beliefs, ignorant opinion and old-wives tales are lazy and risky.
Happens the State of California take a particularly tough line on hazardous materials, and the link on the label spotted by Michael is helpful in understanding that. Thanks to California, we know the Starrett product contains Lead, and being intelligent chaps we understand that's unlikely to matter in a workshop. Would matter if the product was much used by pregnant ladies, or small children chewed it. California don't guess who the end-user is; all products containing one or more of their list of hazardous materials must be labelled. Simples! - it's not assumed products are only bought by people who know their stuff.
Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power. Presumably chaps who hate safety warnings never read instructions either. Not me! I find it's easier to assemble flat-pack furniture by following the manufacturers comic book guide rather than doing it my way. And I always read the small print in contracts before signing anything!
Edited By SillyOldDuffer on 10/06/2021 11:48:28
|pgk pgk||10/06/2021 11:57:52|
|2324 forum posts|
At one point a very common item to dispense was discovered as labelled a 'Class C' carcinogen in the US.
|Howard Lewis||10/06/2021 13:27:21|
|5348 forum posts|
Take the doors off your workshops!
There is a danger that you might trap your fingers when closing!
And as for having electricity and rotating machinery in there!.
Common sense is not that common any more where legislators and the legal profession are concerned.
By typing this, I risk R S I. Who do I sue?
Please login to post a reply.
Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!
You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.
Click THIS LINK for full contact details.
For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.