Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

RandA 3 inch lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Brookfield04/06/2021 18:32:32
2 forum posts
2 photos

I think this is a Ross and Alexander screwcutting lathe of pre-war design20210530_155537small.jpg. My father acquired it and had it running but never set it to work because of the slippy leather belts.

It looks complete with motor, gears, two chucks and faceplate. One of the bearing caps has a plate screwed to it which I guess might hide a crack but can't see without dismantling.

It is for sale and I am looking for advice on how to sell it and how much to ask.

Perko705/06/2021 13:34:26
391 forum posts
31 photos

Perhaps this might give you an idea on how muchsmiley?

Don't know what the equivalent Myford/Zyto/Drummond/Boxford/etc would be at that time.

img_20160825_0001.jpg

Perko705/06/2021 13:36:43
391 forum posts
31 photos

PS: the 'slippy leather belts' is a much overlooked safety feature as anyone who has had a dig-in or caught their coat sleeve could verify.

Brian H05/06/2021 13:46:31
2230 forum posts
113 photos

This may help a little.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/randa/index.html

Brian

Nicholas Farr05/06/2021 15:12:22
2985 forum posts
1352 photos

Hi Martin, yes it looks like the RandA model B lathe, the face plate looks the right pattern and as suggested have a look at RandA it's value will depend on what someone is prepared to pay for it but if the bearing cap does have a crack, it will reduce it's value quite a bit, however, it does have a good value for spares and you may well get a three figure sum for it.

Regards Nick.

Bazyle05/06/2021 19:03:31
6038 forum posts
220 photos

It does depend where you are and what else is available. Plus people are now thinking more of holidays than shed activities however you have a good set of changewheels, prbably a full set for imperial screwcutting. See if you can find the second set of jaws for the 3-jaw chuck.
The set up on the bench looks good except it makes it diffiult to move without strip down or a van/trailer.
It is a good size for a modeller up to Gauge 3 (2 1/2 in).

I think it would be worth £150 to £200 having seen a couple of larger Drummonds go for about £230 in awkward areas to get to.

Martin Brookfield07/06/2021 11:28:17
2 forum posts
2 photos

Thanks everyone for your comments.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
BOLDON
JD Metals
walker midge
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest