Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Micromite Basic (MMB) on Raspberry Pico

A modern, well supported Basic for inexpensive Raspberry Pico

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
IanT28/05/2021 10:20:11
1882 forum posts
182 photos

I know there are other readers here who also use Micromite Basic in some form, be that on the Maximite family of SBCs or in it's many Micromite forms.

I have a number of 'Mites' based on the PIC32MX170 chip that cost me about £3.50 each and give a fully self contained and very capable embedded 'compute' solution in a single 28pin DIL package. My PIC32 Mites have been fast enough for my needs but others use faster SBCs running ARM chips. All of them run Micromite Basic (MMB) which has been developed and improved over the past decade by the (very active) MMB community.

They are now in the process of developing MMB for the Raspberry Pico and it already has some of the more recent language features developed for the very fast Colour Maximite 2 over the past year or so.

I am well aware that there are already many other language/IDE choices available for Raspberry Pico and I'm not going to debate their relative merits because frankly they don't matter to me. I have found MMB to be a very friendly and productive environment for my needs and that's all that matters to most MMB users. It's supported by a relatively small but very active user community at the Back Shed and that seems to work well for me too.

The Pico will provide me with an inexpensive alternative to the PIC32-170 with more memory and therefore room for some of the recent CMM2 language extensions. Knowing what the MMB community has already achieved with other platforms, I'm also sure that more Pico specific features will also probably emerge over time but it's already very capable.

An initial description of the MMB based Pico can be found here and I think other MMB/Mite users will also find it interesting, as it builds on what we already have.

Initial description of MMB on Raspberry Pico - The BackShed

Regards,

IanT

Edited By IanT on 28/05/2021 10:23:29

Michael Gilligan28/05/2021 10:43:32
18710 forum posts
915 photos

Thanks for that, Ian yes

MichaelG.

IanT02/07/2021 09:39:17
1882 forum posts
182 photos

The clever people at the Backshed have made very good progress on getting Micromite Basic (MMB) onto the Pico (the 'PicoMite' ) and are now working on being able to programming the PIO channels from within a MMB programme. Most of this is very much over my head but it's interesting to watch others work their way through the puzzle.

PIO Channels on PicoMite

Meanwhile Geoff Graham has announced the second generation of the Colour Maximite 2 for any 'Retro' computer fans out there.

Colour Maximite 2 - Gen2

I'm still just using my smaller '170' Mites at the moment but it's good to have alternatives if or when I need them.

Regards,

IanT

Kiwi Bloke02/07/2021 22:33:21
602 forum posts
1 photos

Colour Maximite Generation 2? Oh no! I've only recently built my first generation version...

That's the trouble with progress - it just keeps going...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
walker midge
Dreweatts
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
JD Metals
Warco
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest