By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

X-axis power drive

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Kevin Hodgkins 126/05/2021 11:22:39
1 forum posts

My power feed is a directly connected stepper motor. The stepper driver is always powered when the mill is on, but when not actively being driven, the motor is disabled using the drivers enable/disable input. It offers hardly any resistance to hand feeding.

My particular driver is a DM542T, but most stepper drivers I've come across have an input to the disable motor.

Rob Wheatley26/05/2021 20:19:54
35 forum posts
12 photos

I have fitted X and Z powerfeeds to my mill with nema 23 steppers, X is direct drive to the leadscrew, the Z is belt driven with a high reduction (6:1)

The X axis can be moved easily when the power is off but the Z is very stiff unless I unplug the stepper.

I am going to install relays to power down the drivers and disconnect the steppers if I need to move manually.

At some point, when I'm feeling brave, I will drill a hole in the top of the column and direct drive the Z too but will go to a nema 34 for that one.

Terry Kirkup18/07/2021 20:38:42
102 forum posts
77 photos

Well I've made steady progress since taking the bait. I'm pretty sure my methods are somewhat unorthodox , as are so many others on here but all with the desired result, and I enjoy looking at everyone elses' solutions, as varied as they are. I dived straight in after advice from John Haine and plenty of Googling and ended up with a Nema 34 9Nm closed loop stepper motor, PSU and controller. What didn't come with the kit, or indeed what wasn't even mentioned on Stepper-Online's web site, was the ubiquitous PWM thingy, viz:

61bol2gv+6l._sl1001_.jpg

So I located a few and bought them without a real clue as to how it would all fit together. Anyway, this puny item became something of an enemy very quickly. Which dimwit (apologies if you are seeing this, whoever you are) arranged for the controls to point in different directions? Absolutely nonsensical, surely? However, once I'd got the thing wired up and saw the motor respond correctly I sat down to ponder, and this is what I came up with:

20210718_144831.jpg

A quick turning job, shame I only hadd 25mm diameter stock, but hey, I got there. So with a carefully chosen box having a suitable lid, they solved that little issue.

20210718_153722.jpg

And this afternoon I got most of the gubbins mounted ready for the timing belts arriving and just hoping I haven't missed anything.

20210718_173319.jpg

I will be covering up the slotted things to keep metal at bay and also running a nice earth lead between the mill and that ally end panel.

And incidentally, that Nema34 motor turned out to be WAY too big and heavy for the X-axis so it's movig up to the Z now, replaced by a Nema24 4Nm job.

img_20210714_114918.jpg

Edited By Terry Kirkup on 18/07/2021 20:44:40

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
BOLDON
JD Metals
walker midge
rapid Direct
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest