Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

3.1/2" gauge Don Youngs George

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jon Cameron24/05/2021 08:55:28
359 forum posts
113 photos

Hello,

Im hoping one of you may be able to help. Been a keen narrow gauge railway fan, I've been looking at George as a build, designed by Don Young in LLAS. I have all but drawing sheet four in the magazines. Though this has now been sorted and I have the remaining drawing.

My question, is there any of these locos ever been finished. As despite searching the Internet, I've yet to come across a running example. There are three or four partially built ones that I've found. (One of these is the example shown in the article text). But I've never seen one running, so it begs the question is it a flawed design somehow?

Now a lot of what I've read on Don Young suggests that he was an excellent designer, so I doubt my last statement can be true. So let's see a show of hands for anyone that has seen one running. Any other thoughts or ideas also welcome.

Regards

Jon

br24/05/2021 09:43:24
824 forum posts
7 photos

Flawed Design - well documented.

SRS have had one part built chassis, etc, which sells and comes back and sells agin with no work carried out.

I did consider buying but research and advice from club members made it a no go.

bill

PS   --  worth asking on thje MECH forum as you are a member . Also a search on there may help. 

Edited By br on 24/05/2021 10:01:11

Jon Cameron24/05/2021 10:08:50
359 forum posts
113 photos

Hi Bill,

I've searched on the MECH forum and came up with nothing. Can you enlighten me as to what is flawed in the design please? Or where this is documented? As I've found very little info.

Ill put a post on the MECH forum and see what is said.

Regards

Jon

br24/05/2021 10:29:02
824 forum posts
7 photos

PM sent

br26/05/2021 09:07:38
824 forum posts
7 photos

Good to see you are sorted and ordering the wheels tomorrow

Please keep updated on progress.

bill

Jon Cameron26/05/2021 09:25:58
359 forum posts
113 photos

Hi Bill,

Yes I had meant to message you yesterday regarding making contact with a guy whos built one.

Wheels will be ordered Friday and then the fun begins.

Meanwhile I'm giving my ml4 a tune up, before they arrive so I can get to with machining them. Including aligning the tailstock properly which is a real pain!

Regards

Jon

CJW27/05/2021 08:39:54
10 forum posts

Hi all,

I too have an interest in this locomotive. It is clear that some builders got at least part way through construction as there are photographs of models in various stages of development in issues of LLaS. That said, I have also had a look around for completed models and haven't been successful.

I would be keen to find out what the design flaws are so if anyone could refer me to where this information may be found that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

br27/05/2021 09:14:51
824 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by CJW on 27/05/2021 08:39:54:

Hi all,

I too have an interest in this locomotive. It is clear that some builders got at least part way through construction as there are photographs of models in various stages of development in issues of LLaS. That said, I have also had a look around for completed models and haven't been successful.

I would be keen to find out what the design flaws are so if anyone could refer me to where this information may be found that would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris

See thread on MECH which Jon has going at present.

bill

Jon Cameron27/05/2021 10:12:21
359 forum posts
113 photos

Hello Chris,

I'll post info here as well as on the MECH forum. I have found a completed and running model, I haven't shared pictures of it as I'm not sure if hes happy for me to do so. But I'll ask permission and share if he's happy for me to do so.

The main issue is the firebox forming a structural part of the frames. This means there is no allowance for expansion in the boiler, thus the front of the boiler expands forward, this then causes alignment issues with steam pipes, hence the curled pipes shown in the articles. Also with the blast nozzle that doesn't align with the chimney base.

The solution to all these is rather simple albeit a deviation from the prototype. Extend the steel frame plate that the boiler is suppose to bolt to. So it is wide enough to clear the sides of the firebox (5.1/4" wide). Then 3/16" frames bolted or brazed to support the firebox (copper or bronze angle riveted and brazed to sides of boiler) tied together at the rear with a 1/2x3/4" drag beam bolted up.

The boiler then has room to expand rearward, pipes don't need to be flexible, and can be fixed.

There is an issue with the valve spindle not aligning but there's again a simple fix. But making from scratch id be tempted to increase the valvechest size and move the spindle so it aligns.

Really it should have a proper lubricator on it rather than the hydrostatic one, which apparently runs out very quick so don't bother with this. A larger one of 2" dia can be fitted under the footplate, or an alternative for the lubricator to be fed from an eccentric somewhere onthe loco, (ie not sure yet).

These are all points to get you started.

Regards

Jon

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest