Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

The worst 'upcycling' tragedy ever?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Graham23/05/2021 23:47:15
866 forum posts
258 photos

I don't get out as much as I'd like these days (for obvious reasons) , but on a recent expedition I spotted this in the window of a new shop in my town:

upcyclingtragedy.jpg

I'm not sure where to start with the badness, but I'll have a go.

1. If they've gutted a working Wolf drill to make this monstrosity it is, if not a hanging offence, at least worth some sharp words from the bench.
  2. If the drill was unrepairable (unlikely - they were were built to last) the stand would still be be useful - it looks well made.
  3. Even as a piece of retro-industrial art it's a piece of dritt, as they might say in Norway. I don't want to use inappropriate English language and be censored.

The shop was closed when I passed so I couldn't ask what they wanted. I'll be down the town tomorrow and inquire, if it hasn't been snapped up.

Anyone want to guess the price , or give other examples?

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 23/05/2021 23:59:57

Hacksaw23/05/2021 23:56:34
449 forum posts
190 photos

I'd be tempted to pull the handle down..... devil

Hopper24/05/2021 01:45:16
5505 forum posts
137 photos

Looks like a real dimbulb project. Literally and figuratively.

Do tell us the price if you find out. Could use a good larf.

Edited By Hopper on 24/05/2021 01:46:49

DiogenesII24/05/2021 07:48:16
301 forum posts
149 photos

I had a Wolf press like that, it could drill holes like lightning. i.e. never struck twice in the same place..

Chris Evans 624/05/2021 08:23:55
1952 forum posts

Only last year I gave a similar drill and stand to a friend, a new power cable and a general safety check and it is running again. A used item when I aquired it 50 years ago but has seen little use. Torque is amazing, a low speed but unstoppable whatever the load.

LADmachining24/05/2021 09:22:05
120 forum posts
10 photos

You would hope they are not selling it, as it looks to be an electrical safety nightmare. The flex looks to be 2-core, if it is you can guarantee that the exposed metalwork isn't earthed. I guess it could have a plug-in mains adaptor that is out-of-shot somewhere - don't think those bulbs come in low voltage varieties though.

Anthony

Nicholas Farr24/05/2021 09:25:23
2962 forum posts
1335 photos

Hi, I don't wish to upset anyone about doing things like this, people do have a right to do what they wish (within legal reason) with their own belongings. The drill may well be burnt out/worn out and be beyond economical repair. You could criticize the guy on the TV programme Savage Hunters, for some of the stuff he repurposes, but they are appealing to some people. On a technical and authentic note though, it's got the wrong drill in that stand, that stand was designed for EG2c, EG23c or EG3c.

wolf.jpg

There again one can use whatever drill would fit onto that stand, even if it was another make.

I have a stand like that one or a very similar one and I think I have one of the recommended drills, also a drill very similar to the one in the photo, somewhere in my garage.

Regards Nick.

Oldiron24/05/2021 09:48:35
831 forum posts
23 photos

As we go around searching antique & bricabrac shops for mechanical calculators & slide rules we see many of these abominations on oilcans/drill stands/ typewriters etc etc. I agree that many have looked as if they beeen cobbled together by an "artist". Some had no grommets in drilled holes or no protection around moving joints or any obvious earthing points. I have asked several sellers if they have a PAT or some kind of electrical test certificate and have been met by a blank stare.

regards

Mike Hurley24/05/2021 09:52:07
181 forum posts
69 photos

As Nick says, people have a right to like what they want. To me, its quite awful, but then so is a lot of stuff on programs like Salvage Hunters and similar which I wouldn't give house room to with their 'original patination' (i.e rust). But hey - I'm not buying it , and he seems to make a good living from it AND I suppose he is truly recycling things that would often end up in the tip, so credit where its due.

Perhaps someone could re-purpose a Bridgeport as a candle holder?

Ady124/05/2021 10:08:16
4689 forum posts
713 photos
Posted by DiogenesII on 24/05/2021 07:48:16:

I had a Wolf press like that, it could drill holes like lightning. i.e. never struck twice in the same place..

The good old Quality British home tool market, built to last forever and keep your muscles toned

Mark Rand24/05/2021 10:14:48
1055 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Mike Hurley on 24/05/2021 09:52:07:

Perhaps someone could re-purpose a Bridgeport as a candle holder?

A bilgeport is far too flimsy to upcycle into a candle holder.

RIP Sir John!

Edited By Mark Rand on 24/05/2021 10:15:22

Bill Phinn24/05/2021 10:36:45
562 forum posts
86 photos

The worst example of this I know of is a large collection of decorative engraved bookbinder's finishing tools that were advertised for sale very cheaply in a newspaper local to a bookbinding friend of mine. The collection would have fetched thousands of pounds in the right auction.

My friend inquired only to be told the tools had been sold that day to a farmer not far away. My friend visited the farm to see if he could persuade the farmer to sell the tools on to him. When he got there, there was the remnants of a fire in the farmyard and the farmer was just shutting the doors of a large barn. All that was left in the fire was the charred remains of the tool handles; the brass tools themselves had been driven in to the barn doors tang-first with their engraved faces pointing outwards, so that the deep relief engraving on the faces of all the tools was by now hopelessly mangled by hammer blows, rendering the tools useless and valueless.

My friend, who would have put the tools to good use in the authentic restoration of period bindings, had arrived too late, but at least the farmer was delighted with himself for having created such a novel work of decorative art.

Neil Wyatt24/05/2021 10:57:33
18744 forum posts
733 photos
80 articles

Done well, some of these 'upcycling' projects give an extended life to worn out items and look good.

Some are just .... ugh!!

Neil

bernard towers24/05/2021 11:06:02
275 forum posts
82 photos

Hacksaw, you made me smile

Dave Halford24/05/2021 11:09:49
1671 forum posts
19 photos

Reminds me of the guy who wanted an ML7 to bolt to the roof of his longboat to make it more Steam Punk

larry phelan 124/05/2021 12:50:27
1079 forum posts
14 photos

I still have an old Desoutter drill stand, bought in a junkshop many moons ago.

Brought it home on the back of a Honda 50, interesting trip !

Never saw what drill it was intended for, but I managed to fit a Wolf 1/2" to it and later on, a Makita.

Seldom used now since I have a "Proper" floor drilling machine, but it still works.

This thing is all solid cast iron and steel, no plastic.

Martin King 224/05/2021 13:41:36
857 forum posts
361 photos

I am afraid I have been guilty of a couple of these things, they can make very good money and who am I to be the arbiter or other people’s taste? This made just over £100 at Yeovil Car Boot some years ago.

steampunk 3.jpg
steampunk 2.jpg

Cheers, Martin

Martin King 224/05/2021 13:45:02
857 forum posts
361 photos

‘Shade’ is a salad spinner!smiley

Frances IoM24/05/2021 14:02:55
1154 forum posts
28 photos
Martin - I trust the cutters were properly sharpened - would certainly enforce a 'do not touch' edict
old mart24/05/2021 14:09:58
3316 forum posts
203 photos

That old drill in the first picture is probably less likely to electrocute anybody now than if it was still being used as a drill.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
Warco
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
walker midge
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
Dreweatts
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest