Professional rebuild ! (???)

Anyone ever had a quote?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
NooNoo23/05/2021 15:16:18
22 forum posts
11 photos

Greetings people …

i have bought a colchester bantam, metric 20”. It belonged to a recently deceased gentleman whose son was clearing out his workshop to raise funds for his mum.

lovely machine in good mechanical condition but exceptionally cosmetically challenged. The chap who owned it had been ill a long time & it had basically sat unused in a damp garage for a good few years til it came to me.

here’s the killer …. The pallet company that were delivering it DROPPED IT! …. Only from pallet to floor …. Then again when it fell backwards onto the forklift when picked up! … devastated to say the least.

they have thankfully agreed to pay towards repairs and what have you.

i am genuinely thinking of treating myself (& it! Lol) to a professional rebuild …. Maybe not “fully”, but upto a budget perhaps …. Maybe saying i have £1500 or whatever & asking them to continue til my budget is used …. This is only a theory as it’s only been on my mind today to perhaps get quotes.

anyone have experience of having a rebuild professionally done? Or a quote? Or even a partial rebuild?

im not after “mint” but a repaint/full check over etc …. Like i say, i have put next to no thought into this & im hoping for your experiences.

will maybe ring TE-Bar as they are nearest me in south wales, Blue Diamond, Style Machine Tools, Unislide etc.

know any private individuals that do this? Any small independants? Deleted by Mods

anyways, just thinking out loud & hoping for some advice/poking in the right direction, or even personal experience really.

the pics are from yesterday after i’d cleaned it up a bit & unbent some levers …& before it was sent when in its original home

Edited By NooNoo on 23/05/2021 15:30:18

Edited By JasonB on 23/05/2021 15:44:13

HOWARDT23/05/2021 15:29:34
901 forum posts
39 photos

A professional rebuild likely very expensive. I used to work in the machine tool industry and typical costs at the time for rebuilds to new condition but better accuracy, difference between mass manufacture and individual build, was in the region of 2/3rds list price. With hourly rates north side of £100/hour plus parts you want get much done if the machine has to be stripped, repaired, and rebuilt with paint. You may find someone with the skills but not the tools to do a sympathetic rebuild without major refurbishment. Perhaps take the insurance money and do what you can yourself.

old mart23/05/2021 15:45:33
3721 forum posts
233 photos

Unfortunately for you, all Colchester parts on ebay, for instance seem to be extremely expensive. The price for a refurbish on an old lathe is so much that it could run into 5 figures.

NooNoo23/05/2021 15:55:40
22 forum posts
11 photos

Which bit did you delete JasonB ? Cant even remember which bit is missing lol, old age doesnt come alone so i hear …Best i learn to not make this mistake again ….

SillyOldDuffer23/05/2021 16:09:21
8496 forum posts
1900 photos

Commiserations! Awful experience. Lathes are dreadful top-heavy. No consolation that you aren't the first to be caught out. And won't be the last.

I agree with Howard - having anything done professionally will be ouch costly. Wouldn't be difficult to run up a bill bigger than the cost of a replacement machine. Is it worth it? Dunno how much Bantams go for these days but Home and Workshop Machinery have a Student with collet chuck and Hydraulic copy attachment for £2950.

Far cheaper to do it yourself if you can, especially if the work is mostly cosmetic. Your labour is free and second-hand spares can be hunted down rather than bought at premium rate. I personally prefer to cut metal rather than restore damaged tools, but many enjoy fixing machines themselves. Needs must when the devil drives.

Much depends on the damage. The two falls described could be something or nothing. Can you publish photos as described here of the lathe and damage . (The forum's software is picky about how photos are inserted into posts.) I recommend a careful survey before doing anything. (Apart from howling at the moon or indulging in a stiff drink!)

Dave

JasonB23/05/2021 16:23:20
22588 forum posts
2641 photos
1 articles
Posted by NooNoo on 23/05/2021 15:55:40:

Which bit did you delete JasonB ? Cant even remember which bit is missing lol, old age doesnt come alone so i hear …Best i learn to not make this mistake again ….

The inappropriate language

Pete.23/05/2021 16:30:43
796 forum posts
235 photos

How much has the pallet courier agreed to pay out?

How much did the lathe cost you?

Former Member23/05/2021 16:32:16
1085 forum posts

[This posting has been removed]

NooNoo28/05/2021 16:15:51
22 forum posts
11 photos

Booked an appointment for a lathe repair engineer from TE-Bar engineering to come & visit the lathe to give me a quote for repairing only the damage caused, 10th July, wish me luck lol.

hoping the insurance of the pallet company will pay for it.

also getting him to quote separately for a work over/check/setup & possibly a repaint, that id then pay myself on top

NooNoo28/05/2021 16:25:20
22 forum posts
11 photos

To answer a few posted questions ….

lathe cost me £1250

pallet company said if its 5 or 6 hundred, they’d pay out of the coffers, if more then insurance job.

i did initially intend reworking it myself over time, but am so livid with them for causing this, i said to them “if i did my job as badly as you’ve done yours, id not have a job”. I fix electronic tools & devices within the electricity supply industry, I also maintain all our machine tools & started my career as an electrical fitter building substations, so i do have the hand-skills & patience to do it ….. but i want them to pay for at least what they’ve done. It wasnt in this state when they picked it up, so i want it put right.

Pete.28/05/2021 23:42:01
796 forum posts
235 photos

In the past when using a pallet company, I remember looking at the insurance in the small print and seeing something to do with price per unit of weight, I can't remember what it was but remember thinking that's not very much if you were moving something quite expensive.

If your repair quote is more than the purchase cost, surely insurance would class that as a write off, and reimburse you the purchase cost?

I'd take the money, put some of it towards the repair doing it myself, have yourself a very cheap lathe.

Robert Butler29/05/2021 16:39:16
384 forum posts
6 photos

£1,300 per tonne, 250 kilo's = £325 so I wouldn't get too excited.

Robert Butler

Edited By Robert Butler on 29/05/2021 16:39:57

Swarf, Mostly!29/05/2021 16:54:03
646 forum posts
70 photos

Hi there, Noonoo,

I believe that it's generally the case that if an insurance comopany pay out for a damaged item, that damaged item becomes their property?

I did once negotiate us out of such a situation (involving a 'dinged' motor car) but at the cost of a greatly reduced pay-out.

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

Dan Shilling30/05/2021 20:46:49
6 forum posts

that's terrible bad luck they should pay you the full £1250.

If you find somebody that can fix that then perhaps you could give me their details because mine needs a metric leadscrew and half nut See my post.

If you decide to break it.... well more than it is, then I need a metric leadscrew and half nut.

Robert Butler30/05/2021 21:26:35
384 forum posts
6 photos

In this instance if the Carriers Insurers pay up to the limit per tonne and using the previous example they have no right to take possession of the salvage as they have not paid full value.

Robert Butler

Robert Butler30/05/2021 21:31:41
384 forum posts
6 photos

In this instance if the Carriers Insurers pay up to the limit per tonne and using the previous example they have no right to take possession of the salvage as they have not paid full value.

Robert Butler

Double posted can't delete

Edited By Robert Butler on 30/05/2021 21:34:45

NooNoo16/06/2021 20:58:39
22 forum posts
11 photos

Had TE-Bar come & inspect it, their quote for picking it up, repairing only the damage caused, rewiring & truing it all up with adjustments, checking all operations fully, checking accuracy (which they thought would be fine as there is so little wear) & dropping it back off is £746 + vat. They were lovely guys too, family owned !, made me feel a whole lot better about it, they said their only concern was if one of the oil holding gearboxes had a crack, they said highly unlikely but possible. Work would take 2 or 3 weeks & they could pick it up anytime once the nod is given.
so, Anyways, sent the quote to the pallet company …. “Because of cost, we have sent this to our insurance company, we will be in touch in due course”. It is what it is, will just have to wait now.

Edited By NooNoo on 16/06/2021 20:59:16

Michael Gilligan16/06/2021 21:16:26
20096 forum posts
1042 photos

That sounds a very decent price yes

… You don’t get much skilled labour for £746 these days !

MichaelG.

Pete.16/06/2021 22:14:02
796 forum posts
235 photos

That's about £900, if someone else is paying, suppose it doesn't matter, what exactly are they fixing?

Robert Butler16/06/2021 22:54:46
384 forum posts
6 photos

Not allot! Considering time spent collecting, loading, return to works, off loading, repair, re-load, return to customer, off-load and position. Parts?????? VAT @ 20%

Robert Butler

Edited By Robert Butler on 16/06/2021 22:56:21

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
Rapid RC
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Dreweatts
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest