Strange mini "turret" lathe?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Gilligan08/06/2021 09:07:48
18993 forum posts
945 photos
Posted by Clive Foster on 08/06/2021 08:26:46:

Michael

As I recall it getting the beasts apart is not as straightforward as it seems. Dim memory suggests that this was a prime reason for the rapid evaporation of my "do something with them" desires. Hafta say that if www.lathes.co.uk had existed then I'd never have bought them. E-Bay ad pictures didn't really show how they were made. Not having a conventional bed is seriously limiting for most turning purposes. Good basis for a baby Britan tho'.

Hope your pick-up trip is less stressful than mine was. […]

Clive

Thanks for the warning, Clive ... tomorrow will tell !

We’re going in the Suzuki GV, so at least loading it into the back should be relatively simple.

... I’m guessing the weight might be about 60kg, but would be grateful if you have a better estimate.

MichaelG.

duncan webster08/06/2021 11:24:41
3527 forum posts
63 photos

Clive, where are you? I'm in NW England. Are your lathes the spherical turning or parallel?

Clive Foster08/06/2021 11:55:17
2838 forum posts
103 photos

Michael

Your weight estimate sounds about right, possibly a touch high. Back then I was able to lift mine out of the car and down onto a sack barrow on my own but it was hard work. Not a chance now. Like grandfathers clock they have lived on the floor ever since.

Nothing to get a sensible grip on which doesn't help. If mine ever have to be lifted I shall pass two flat ratchet straps underneath and poke a pole through so two minions can move it for me.

Duncan

I'm in sunny Sussex. As I recall one is certainly spherical turning. The other may be but only carries one indicator which would suggest parallel. But its years since I properly looked. You are welcome to them, transport costs (pallet service?) would probably be uneconomic.

Clive

Michael Gilligan08/06/2021 14:08:27
18993 forum posts
945 photos
Posted by Clive Foster on 08/06/2021 11:55:17:

Michael

Your weight estimate sounds about right, possibly a touch high. […]

Thanks Clive yes

MichaelG.

Swarf, Mostly!08/06/2021 14:42:42
609 forum posts
65 photos
Posted by Clive Foster on 08/06/2021 08:26:46:

Michael

SNIP!

A side benefit of driving lessons from my godfather, who claimed to have been trained as a chaffeur by a Rolls Royce, whose mantra was "don't touch the brakes". Pretty much essential if rich bastard in the back is gonna get a smooth ride but also excellent for honing traffic reading and anticipation skills.

Investigation suggested I had about 10 gear changes left before it all went whaooie shape.

Clive

Clive and group,

Many years ago, I drove an Alvis. I had a car repair mentor, 'Charlie', who had previously been an Alvis employee and had gone through the Alvis Chauffeur training school. He told me that during one lesson driving through (I think) Coventry, a young woman had crossed the road in front of them without looking. Charlie hit the anchors and received an admonition along the lines taught by your godfather regarding shaking up the rich guy in the back. In Charlie's case, however, his instructor added the rider: 'besides, never kill crumpet - it's wasteful'.

Not very 'woke' but it was a long time ago!

Best regards,

Swarf, Mostly!

duncan webster08/06/2021 17:24:17
3527 forum posts
63 photos
Posted by Clive Foster on 08/06/2021 11:55:17:

Duncan

I'm in sunny Sussex. As I recall one is certainly spherical turning. The other may be but only carries one indicator which would suggest parallel. But its years since I properly looked. You are welcome to them, transport costs (pallet service?) would probably be uneconomic.

Clive

A bit (lot!) too far I fear, I've not been more than 20 miles since lockdown started, and that was to take SWMBO to a hospital appointment. Thanks for the offer tho'

Michael Gilligan11/06/2021 09:24:41
18993 forum posts
945 photos

We collected the Nissel on Wednesday ... all went surprisingly well:

Seller helped me lift it [complete with his little ‘sack barrow’] onto my decorator’s hop-up, and I then slid it into the Suzuki. ... Trickiest part was then removing the sack barrow from under the machine !!

It’s very dirty and there are a few scratches from previous attempts at cleaning, but basically it all seems good.

Lots to learn, and lots of tidying to do ... but meanwhile I have this for inspiration surprise

**LINK** : https://all-in-optics.de/prototyping-eng/

Scroll down to the ‘Diamond-cutting’ paragraph, and watch the video !!

MichaelG.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
cowells
emcomachinetools
rapid Direct
walker midge
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest