Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

End of the road for me

OLD CROC RETIRING

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
br14/05/2021 16:18:12
824 forum posts
7 photos

Arthritis, dementia , old age, etc, etc plus making too many mistakes and upsetting members, means end of the road for me in the workkshop and a very much reduced forum activity. .

Have a Sieg SC3 with most accessories,, not listed in sales, yet, and a unimat 3 in sales ,

Loads of workshop equipment

Happy to pass on to members on the understanding to be kept and used

Small items FOC , otherwise a nominal amount

PM please if you think \i can help assumilng me ancient computer plays ball

Thanks

bill  ---   forum name initials br

Edited By br on 14/05/2021 16:18:50

Edited By br on 14/05/2021 16:19:55

Edited By br on 14/05/2021 16:27:18

Edited By br on 14/05/2021 16:28:40

Brian Baker 114/05/2021 16:38:39
186 forum posts
36 photos

Sad to hear that Bill, good luck toyou in the future.

Regards

Brian B

br14/05/2021 16:42:31
824 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Brian -- message much appreciated

bill

br14/05/2021 16:45:18
824 forum posts
7 photos

PS -- if you send a message and get no reply due to my clockwork computer smiley then please leave forum name on this thread and I will find some way of making contact

Thanks

bill

Brian H14/05/2021 16:58:17
2288 forum posts
112 photos

Very sorry to hear of your retirement Bill but I know what you mean about ailments and memory. I shall soldier on for a few more years hopefully.

All the best in whatever you do instead and you know where to come for any advice.

Brian

Oldiron14/05/2021 17:33:36
906 forum posts
40 photos

Hi Bill. Sorry to hear that you have decided it is time to pack up the workshop. Sadly it comes to all of us at some time or another. Can I suggest that if you have any items left over after you sell the big items that you donate them to a local Mens Shed. They are always looking for more tools/materials/bits & pieces and will likely be able to help many that do not have their own workshops.

Best regards

br14/05/2021 17:43:52
824 forum posts
7 photos

Thanks Brian H and Oldiron

Mens sheds are a new one on me but a quick google shows one about 5 miles away.

Just called the chap and he says they have a metal lathe and two members making trains so I cannot think of a better home . Well pleased as at least i will be in contact with chaps with same interest if only as a viewer

bill

Bazyle14/05/2021 17:56:38
6168 forum posts
222 photos

I've been mentioning Men's Sheds for years - where have you been. Great place to have a cup of tea and a natter with like minded people. In many ways an ME club is the same. Not all sheds are able to sport a metal workshop as they tend to start off with woodworking as it is more accessible to more people however you will usually find that someof the Shed members do have metalworking experience or equipment of their own. As you put out feelers you suddenly find closet machinists all around you.

Another angle for retirees to consider is Meccano. Several of our members have found it enables them to keep messing about with metal after they have had to relinquish their equipment as it is compatible with sheltered husing if necessary.

Ady114/05/2021 17:59:51
4900 forum posts
726 photos

Sorry to hear that Bill, don't be a stranger, we're all mad in here anyway

Jon Lawes14/05/2021 19:05:32
726 forum posts

Don't give up on the forum side just yet; the odd bit of conflict is the side effect of being able to communicate with so many people.

The Men's shed would be a great place for you to share your skills with novices even if you don't feel you can carry on doing the work yourself. I dearly miss my grandfathers engineering advice, someone nearby will surely be grateful for yours.

larry phelan 114/05/2021 19:06:49
1137 forum posts
14 photos

Reading posts like this make me sad, We are all in the waiting room and wondering what to do with our gear.

The younger crowd dont want to know, too messy for them.

Must admit I never thought about Mens Sheds. I have much woodwork gear which should be of interest to them

Metal work equipment is not very big around these parts.

Sad to say, it comes to us all, so let us enjoy it while we can.

Keep your interest alive as long as you can Bill, what more can any of us do ?

Grindstone Cowboy14/05/2021 19:23:19
790 forum posts
61 photos

Sad to read this Bill, I've never read any posts from you that I would consider to be upsetting.

All the best in whatever you do next.

Rob

Michael Gilligan14/05/2021 20:13:04
19571 forum posts
994 photos

Arthritis is cruel, Bill

I’m perhaps not as debilitated as you, but everything I do takes more time and effort than it should.

Unless it pains you to do so though ... Please do keep contributing to the forum !

MichaelG.

Ian Skeldon 214/05/2021 21:25:12
540 forum posts
54 photos

My best wishes for whatever you decide to do in the Future Bill, I'm sure your contributions will be missed.

Martin Payne14/05/2021 22:15:39
8 forum posts

Bill,

It's sad to see anyone reach a point when they can no longer enjoy their chosen hobby, however, don't give up on the forum too soon: us youngsters (mid-50s) can still benefit from your knowledge.

I'm also interested in the Unimat 3 to replace my SL1000. Email sent.

Respectfully,

Martin.

Edited By Martin Payne on 14/05/2021 22:16:25

Howard Lewis14/05/2021 22:42:54
5734 forum posts
13 photos

Sad news Bill.

The Men's Shed may be a good alternative. Probably you will be a big help to them.

Don't desert the Forum, you would be missed and your experience will be needed by newcomers who need advice and help

The problem is how to dispose of all the kit, when no one in the family has any interest.

My grandchildren will look at a lot of the stuff and wonder what it is and what it is for.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest