By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

drill chuck recommendations for a bridgeport

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Gary Clarke 405/05/2021 15:37:40
19 forum posts

A seemingly simple topic.. but perhaps worth discussion..

What type of drill chuck should I buy for a bridgeport mill? I want to get maximum utility from it.. capacity? integral R8 taper or an arbor? Keyless or? Are smaller capacity chucks more accurate for smaller drill sizes? Do I need more than 1?

I have other equipment (lathe) which uses a MT2 taper in the tailstock..

What kind of quality should I get.. any recommendations?

old mart05/05/2021 15:51:16
3487 forum posts
213 photos

First get an R8 to MT2 tanged adaptor. Being able to share drill chucks between machines is a great bonus. At the museum, we have gradually acquired a lot of drill chucks up to 16mm capacity. The smallest is a 1/4" in MT2 but the Cutwel 13mm integral keyless R8 runs best throughout its full range.

Andrew Johnston05/05/2021 16:01:15
6390 forum posts
682 photos

I've got five drill chucks for the Bridgeport. Four of those were new Jacobs (1 x 1/4", 2 x 3/8" and 1 x 1/2" ) and are on quick change arbors, so I don't need to remove the R8 collet each time. They also get used on the R8 CNC mill. I also have a Jacobs drill chuck on an R8 arbor that came with the Bridgeport.

I don't mess about sharing tooling on mill and lathe. I have two separate drill chucks on 3MT for the lathe. One came with the lathe, now too worn to be useful, and another, larger one, bought secondhand on Ebay.

All my drill chucks are keyed. When not in use the keys are stored in the chuck, so I don't lose them.

I also have an R8 to 3MT adaptor for Morse taper drills on the Bridgeport, but things can get short on headroom at times, 19" can get eaten up pretty quickly. In general I don't use drills bigger than 1" on the Bridgeport.

Andrew

John Haine05/05/2021 16:03:33
4403 forum posts
261 photos

Hmm. Mounting an R8 MT2 adapter so you can then fit an MT2 chuck takes a while and loses height. My recommendation (based on years using R8 in a VMB) is to have a big (13mm) (possibly keyless) chuck for the large drills on an R8 arbor. I also have a small keyless (6mm, Albrecht) on an R8 arbor, but often wish it as on a parallel arbor so it could go in a collet to save so much winding the head up and down.

Vic05/05/2021 16:04:07
3012 forum posts
8 photos

Chuck capacities seem to vary depending on make so you may need two. I have an Albrecht 3-16mm on an MT3 arbor for my mill so I ended up getting a Rohm 10mm chuck also on a MT3 arbor for the smaller sizes. I have a cheap Chinese copy of an Albrecht on a MT2 arbor for my lathe and that seems to go from virtually zero up to 16mm.

Dave Wootton05/05/2021 16:54:54
227 forum posts
56 photos

I use a Vertex keyless chuck with an integral R8 shank, used a lot over the last 10 years and still as good as new, very accurate and grips well. Not cheap but very good, came from Rotagrip.

Dave

John Reese08/05/2021 05:30:07
1013 forum posts

I have a 1/4 capacity Albrecht keyless, a 1/2 capacity Grizzly integral shank keyless, and a 3/4 capacity keyed ball bearing Jacobs.

John Reese08/05/2021 05:40:16
1013 forum posts

If you expect to use a hole saw you need a keyed chuck. A hole saw will over tighten a keyless chuck.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest