Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Oofle Dust

Musings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Mc03/05/2021 14:35:01
205 forum posts
26 photos

Its raining... I can't do the garden...theyt chucked me out of work because I'm too old...I can't stand watching the telly.. I've read all my emails and don't need to buy anything...I daren't stay in the house as SWMBO will find me some decorating to do....so the only place to create a bit of interest and have a bit of peace is in the workshop.

I decided to clean up, first item is the bandsaw, I often use the dust mixed with PVA to fill in any holes in wood which is a well known trick of woodworkers. I keep different colours of wood in separate jars so it is ready and waiting for when needed and on marking my glass jars with the material it seemed to me to a good idea to create a name for the stuff, hence OOFLE DUST.. oldies like me will remember where this came from...youngies will have to scratch their heads!

In the past I have used other types of Oofle dust, ie brass, which mixed with epoxy makes a very strong filler, and used for blueing, and of course there are metal filings which I have not used as yet.

Being a grandad, I have to be the font of all knowledge and entertaining...of course my grandson, the oldest likes to see what goes on in the workshop and he can read .... he wanted to know what was in those jars? ... oofle dust I says....no! you have spelled it incorrectly! it should be OOFAL dust.....Ok,Ok... I give in...and had to change all the labels....oh well its better than working!

dsc_0137.jpg

Tom Sheppard03/05/2021 14:43:16
31 forum posts

Youngsters cannot spell. It is and always has been "OOFLE!"

Dave Wootton03/05/2021 15:15:05
234 forum posts
56 photos

Someone please put me out of my misery, was it Sooty? Google failed me just bought up festivals and twaddle.

Dave

I think lockdown is getting to me a little!

Problem solved how come it comes up when the wife googles it with the same keywords, she says its man looking again.

Edited By Dave Wootton on 03/05/2021 15:19:10

Edited By Dave Wootton on 03/05/2021 15:25:21

Bob Mc03/05/2021 16:04:29
205 forum posts
26 photos

Thanks Tom....

I knew I was right with OOFLE... I will change the labels back when I get some more white tape. I don't know why I get bullied into doing things like this on such an important issue.... I can't thank you enough Tom.

...Bob...

Derek Lane03/05/2021 16:17:20
630 forum posts
127 photos

Reminds me of what is in my cupboard pots of different wood dust as well as Brass, Copper and Ali powder

Dr. MC Black03/05/2021 16:31:34
266 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Bob Mc on 03/05/2021 16:04:29:

Thanks Tom....

I knew I was right with OOFLE... I will change the labels back when I get some more white tape. I don't know why I get bullied into doing things like this on such an important issue.... I can't thank you enough Tom.

...Bob...

Why don't you ask your grandson to make the new labels for you.

How old is he?

He might like to read **LINK**and watch the films there?

MC

Howard Lewis03/05/2021 17:36:35
5751 forum posts
13 photos

Grab a teenager while they still know everything!

Howard

Robert Dodds03/05/2021 19:40:10
305 forum posts
58 photos

After a minor mishap with the domestic formica worktop I got away with a camouflage of epoxy and an oofle dust from the ladies nail bar, where they have mica powder in multiple colourways that can match the chipped corner. My supply came courtesy of the greeting card production line where the same oofle dust is used to enhance the greeting cards.

Bob D

larry phelan 104/05/2021 17:06:18
1141 forum posts
14 photos

You are lucky to have a grandson who has any interest in such things !

Wish I had one !

larry phelan 104/05/2021 17:10:00
1141 forum posts
14 photos

Forgot to mention that you are now considered to be "Useless" until something goes wrong, and then, it all changes !! How do I know ? Ask me !laugh

Rob McSweeney04/05/2021 19:54:44
67 forum posts

Anyone come across the word 'oofle' in another context? When playing cribbage with my late Dad many years ago, he used to use 'oofle' in the context of 'turn, as in 'it's your oofle now, come on'.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
rapid Direct
Warco
MIDLNDS GARDEN RAIL Jan 2022
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest