By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Importing a power table feed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Chris Evans 626/04/2021 11:15:16
1923 forum posts

I am looking at replacing the power table feed on my Bridgeport. A lot on eBay at around £136. Some claim UK stock but all seem to be in Switzerland. Does the £136 come under the duty threshold ? I seem to recall reading that charges are made over £137. The items all seem to be very cheap for what you get and certainly cheaper than a repair to the old unit.

Pete.26/04/2021 11:32:55
540 forum posts
86 photos

Hi Chris, I bought something the other day that claimed it was in the UK, it wasn't, but you should be able to tell if the tax is paid, it  now shows separately on ebay, if you go into the checkout without buying, I think it shows separately at this point, it definitely shows separately after purchase.

eBay tax

Edited By Pete. on 26/04/2021 11:35:00

Matt Harrington26/04/2021 11:43:06
182 forum posts
7 photos

Like Pete, I had the same thing the other day for an ebay item coming from China. Interestingly the total price didn't change and the tax was part of the final price. However, I was soon informed that there was a 'customs' issue and would I like a refund. This was probably because there was no profit in the sale. Ironically, I found a similar item on Amazon (and UK based) at half the price - so it does pay to shop around.

Matt

Tony Pratt 126/04/2021 12:11:48
1544 forum posts
8 photos

On Ebay if the price says £136 that is what you will pay, they can't go adding on 'extras' once you have hit the 'buy it now button'.

Tony

JasonB26/04/2021 13:00:26
20637 forum posts
2296 photos
1 articles

Although ebay may not be able to charge you anymore if the seller cannot show tax has been deducted you may get charged by customs as it comes into the country. Had it several times buying castings from US sellers

I doubt any comply, most of the photos have had the plug poorly photoshopped out of the picture or are non UK ones.

feed tax.jpg

Edited By JasonB on 26/04/2021 13:01:17

Edited By JasonB on 26/04/2021 13:19:48

SillyOldDuffer26/04/2021 14:00:09
7229 forum posts
1593 photos

This isn't a good time to get a clear answer. The combination of Covid, Brexit and changes to the way VAT is collected on imports have made trade and costs uncertain at the moment. The VAT system is still settling in, while leaving the EU changes the UK's trade relationship with almost everyone, and it's a work in progress.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy to import anything on a very tight budget. Though ebay and others seem to be a doing a good job, the system isn't bedded down yet, and there's a risk it will go wrong, as in Matt's example. ebay cancelled his transaction probably because a mistake made the sale unprofitable and because ebay don't want to annoy customers with unexpected extra charges on delivery. Easier to cancel.

Typing in April 2021 I don't think there's a fail-safe guarantee an import buyer won't be charged surprise Duty, VAT, and Handling Charges. So, if unable to afford extra costs on a tight budget I wouldn't buy close to the £135 threshold, where Duty and VAT might both bite. However, as the number of people being charged more on delivery seems low, I would take the risk provided finding the extra money wasn't a painful embarrassment! As always, the world is kindest to folk with muscular bank accounts!

Dave

Stueeee26/04/2021 16:21:29
82 forum posts

Leaving aside any potential customs issues, is the power feed that the OP is thinking of buying a 220V unit like the one posted up by JasonB? I fitted an Align branded power feed on my Bridgeport; it's 110V. I found some space in the mill's control box to fit a 110V transformer. I wouldn't be happy to have mains voltage on the cables to the limit switches etc. on the front of the table. Even on my old DSG lathe all the control plane wiring is via 110v coil contactors.

Edited By Stueeee on 26/04/2021 16:22:11

Edited By Stueeee on 26/04/2021 16:22:40

old mart26/04/2021 17:19:00
3067 forum posts
194 photos

I have looked at those, and there are two types, the more powerful having an advertised torque of 450 inch pounds. Some of the sellers say their stock is in the UK, but lower in the listing, mention Switzerland. The possibility of getting a lot of import duty and costs added tend to put me off buying.

Chris Evans 626/04/2021 19:32:12
1923 forum posts

Thanks for all the replies, I could afford a few extra pounds but it is the uncertainty that worries me. My power feed has been out of use for a while so not an essential replacement, just a luxury. Good point re the 220 volts on limit switches, my Bridgeport still has the 110 volt available on the transformer. I will ponder the decision.

old mart26/04/2021 19:42:26
3067 forum posts
194 photos

Steviegtr has recently fitted one to the knee of his Tom Senior, he could confirm if the limit switches are mains voltage or lower.

Chris Evans 628/04/2021 19:40:12
1923 forum posts

Today I contacted one of the sellers claiming UK stock but still had item location shown as Switzerland.

The reply was, It is UK stock and no duty or taxes to pay. If I want one order soon. I will place the order in a few days time and post the results on here.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
cowells
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest