Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Machining Wheel Castings

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Nick Clarke 324/04/2021 17:26:57
1253 forum posts
50 photos

Here are the front and back of a small wheel casting.

The back of the casting will need to be recessed to open up the spokes. Stan Bray in one of his books suggests that this used to be done like this in the past.

How much extra care do I need to take to avoid chipping the spokes as they come clear and the cut becomes intermittent? - and while normally I would use a tipped tool would I be better with HSS or a combination of carbide to begin and switch to HSS after the skin has been removed to avoid chipping the tool tip?

wheel.jpg

Robin Dufton24/04/2021 21:59:50
34 forum posts
10 photos

Buy an insert for cast iron. There is a specific ISO code for it, K. https://www.sandvik.coromant.com/en-gb/knowledge/materials/pages/workpiece-materials.aspx.

You can look up a suitable insert on any of the manufacturers websites and get one for £5-6. Machining cast iron I've always used round inserts although I'd guess you don't have a tool for round inserts.

Edited By Robin Dufton on 24/04/2021 22:00:08

Phil H125/04/2021 09:33:22
397 forum posts
46 photos

Nick,

For my last set of wheels (about 4 1/2" diameter), I used tungsten for the backs and the tips were fine - no problem when 'breaking through' but they did have a significant round nose and were the brazed tip style. The castings were very old and had significant hard patches on the front of the wheels but they were fine when I had to use a thin HSS tool for cutting the groove between the tyres and counter balance weights.

Phil H

Zan25/04/2021 10:07:03
282 forum posts
19 photos

Ugh. That’s one bad casting

OldMetaller25/04/2021 12:39:47
193 forum posts
24 photos

Hi Nick, I've just finished turning the wheel castings for my next loco, in 1/2" scale they are 2&3/4" diameter and from Walsall Industries. They came with the solid back you have on yours, which I'd never encountered before. I used a carbide tipped tool and just took it steady when I thought I was close to breaking through. I noticed that as the cut became intermittent the sound changed. There were no problems, but I was a bit shocked when I realised how little allowance there was for thickness- I'd very nearly 'overshot the platform', as The Master used to say.

John.

wheel turning 2.jpg

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
BOLDON
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
rapid Direct
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest