Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Greenwood Tools

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Briggs02/04/2021 21:47:07
213 forum posts
9 photos

I visited the Greenwood Tools website this evening and I am saddened to see that they are closing. I have bought a few items from them over the years at ME exhibitions, always friendly and helpful people to deal with.

Michael

Michael Gilligan02/04/2021 21:57:33
17831 forum posts
824 photos

I’ve never used them, but you aroused my curiosity, Michael

**LINK** https://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk

... looks like we might keep an eye on ebay listings

MichaelG.

Tony Jeffree02/04/2021 22:47:22
457 forum posts
11 photos

That is very sad.

V8Eng02/04/2021 23:49:23
1574 forum posts
32 photos

Oh dear always bad to hear a good supplier is going.

My last set of Dormer drill bits came from them brilliant service and a good price.

Edited By V8Eng on 02/04/2021 23:50:05

Martin Kyte03/04/2021 09:01:12
2346 forum posts
39 photos

That's devastating. Greenwood was my exclusive supplier for carbide tips and drills.

Martin

Tony Pratt 103/04/2021 09:22:38
1503 forum posts
7 photos

Sounds like the guy is taking well earned retirement.smiley

Tony

Anthony Kendall03/04/2021 09:37:06
103 forum posts
Posted by Martin Kyte on 03/04/2021 09:01:12:

That's devastating. Greenwood was my exclusive supplier for carbide tips and drills.

Martin

Yes, a really good quality and reliable supplier.

I was not his biggest customer, but regular.

It's getting more difficult to buy from someone who can answer a question - Chronos for example just sell stuff.

not done it yet03/04/2021 10:57:10
5853 forum posts
20 photos

Chronos for example just sell stuff.

There are several other suppliers that you could choose. Your choice, I suppose.

Mike Hurley03/04/2021 11:28:51
108 forum posts
55 photos

I bought all my original tooling from them when I 1st got a lathe about 15yrs ago, they were quite pricey at the time but little alternatives. However they proved excellent quality and long life. I got replacement inserts etc at one or 2 MEX's over the years. Theirs was the first tipped parting tool I had come across (Q-Cut) and boy, what a joy to use that was. I know other companies now market similar units.

I suppose the market is just so crowded now its difficult to compete. Unfortunately with the very variable range of qualities on the market its not easy to get be sure what will suit both your pocket and tasks - Greenwood's stuff just suited me down to the ground. But such is life.

JA03/04/2021 12:26:10
1140 forum posts
72 photos

I only used Greenwood Tools at shows and only bought drills and drill sets from him. These were about the best on the market and, so, not cheap. I ranked the company amongst the best suppliers of tools and consumables.

I wish Peter a happy and good retirement.

JA

Mike guitar17/04/2021 12:54:30
40 forum posts

Sad news indeed.

worryingly I recently purchased their improved version of the parting tool blade and insert.

Kit-qd.....I've tried contacting on eBay viz spare inserts...I'm just trying to locate the manufacturer which will enable me to buy spare inserts

DC31k17/04/2021 14:08:03
452 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Mike guitar on 17/04/2021 12:54:30:

Kit-qd.....I've tried contacting on eBay viz spare inserts...I'm just trying to locate the manufacturer which will enable me to buy spare inserts

Greenwood's website is still alive and well. Details of the manufacturer (Sandvik) are given there and the insert code(s) are all there also.

https://www.greenwood-tools.co.uk/shop/indexable-inserts/insert-type-18-1405008.html

DMB17/04/2021 15:55:42
1092 forum posts

Too bad that Greenwoods gone, so below is how I now get by very well.

I recommend, purely on the basis of customer satisfaction, The Tap and Die Co of London. Excellent quality and service. I do sometimes use Tracey tools who are also good. Both of them for taps and dies, slotter and endmills.

I dont use insert cutters as having a large stock of HSS tools and the means to resharpen, is good enough. I use a QCTP holder with a wedge type clamp for my parting off blade.

Brazed carbide tools for cast iron.

Mike guitar17/04/2021 16:55:06
40 forum posts

Thanks DC31k, I've checked the website but missed ( my age) the fact they are sandvic, manufactured which in theory solves all my problems

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest