By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Denford Starturn 8 Lathe Docs & Software needed.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Binning26/03/2021 22:06:09
39 forum posts
9 photos

Having drawn a blank with Denfords I am hoping that some one has a the documentation and software for a Starturn 8 CNC Lathe. 1987 year so is probably DOS based software. I would be grateful for a copy ( I will pay costs ) of the docs and software to get this machine operational. The Stepper drives are Digiplan SD3 and main motor is a Cheetah Anyspeed ASP~5 DC controller. The lathe is fitted with a tool changer.

Hope someone can help me here please?

Emgee26/03/2021 22:27:05
2310 forum posts
277 photos

Andrew

Couple of links take you to some info and the 2nd one to the Denford Forum.

**LINK**

**LINK**

Emgee

Andrew Binning26/03/2021 22:50:10
39 forum posts
9 photos

Thank you for your links , but as I said , I have gone through the Denford forums which are the only source of documentation/software for the older Denford machines. I had a very prompt reply from the MD who sent me two photos of the processor board in a Starturn 8 but neither of them bore any resemblance to my hardware. So I don't know the names of the hardware or the software to drive it. The Stepper drives are Digiplan SD3s and the head stock drive motor controller is an Cheetah Anyspeed ASP~5 in and the lathe has an ATC fitted. I have mentioned these items in case anyone recognises these combinations of hardware.

Emgee26/03/2021 23:16:26
2310 forum posts
277 photos

Andrew

Have you been to this page ?

**LINK**

Emgee

denford starturn documents.jpg

Michael Gilligan27/03/2021 07:56:52
19571 forum posts
994 photos
Posted by Emgee on 26/03/2021 23:16:26:

Andrew

Have you been to this page ?

**LINK**

Emgee

Just for curiosity’s sake, I tried your link ... which [as posted] doesn’t work sad

... somehow, an extra ‘http’ has crept into the address

This should do the trick: **LINK**

http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=3376

... It looks an excellent find !!

MichaelG.

Rod Ashton27/03/2021 08:59:26
339 forum posts
12 photos

Tried for a long time to get my Starturn 5 slant bed to perform with Denford software. Gave up and converted to Mach 3 and laterly to PlanetCNC. Never looked back. Excellent machines.

John Haine27/03/2021 09:58:04
4403 forum posts
261 photos

Denford machines are excellent generally, though it looks like the Starturn is based on a small Emco platform? None the worse for that. I have a Novamill that came (fortunately IMHO) without the controller and software, so I have used Mach 3 with modern drivers but keeping the original steppers. The tool changer is a bit of a wild card but I'd suggest that you don't bother with any of the control electronics and just replace the stepper drivers and get a modern controller such as UCCNC or Mach4 with a motion control card.

Emgee27/03/2021 10:00:25
2310 forum posts
277 photos

Michael, strange the link got corrupted, thanks for re-posting a working link. Same happened again when using the LINK menu, link when posted didn't work.

Andrew

Starturn 8 software on the forum at  http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2087 

Emgee

denford starturn 8 software.jpg

Edited By Emgee on 27/03/2021 10:01:28

Edited By Emgee on 27/03/2021 10:03:23

Andrew Binning27/03/2021 11:39:19
39 forum posts
9 photos

Emgee , your last link , amended by Michael G , http://www.denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=2087 has a photo of boards in a machine that is only 6 months older than mine but they are all different from the boards in my machine. Denford MD , Steve , sent me that link as well but it was no help.

So far all the links that I have seen have not turned up anything that looks like my kit! My plan is to try and find the software that will run the lathe and then sell it , I would love to get stuck in and do a conversion to interface with Mach 3 but I have a loco that needs building and the Starturn is a distraction!

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

Andrew

Rod Ashton27/03/2021 12:14:13
339 forum posts
12 photos

Would it not serve you well to sell "as is" ?

Andrew Binning27/03/2021 13:14:10
39 forum posts
9 photos

Rod, It may come to that but the lathe belongs to a friend who has entrusted it to me to obtain best value so I am obliged to try and get it in a working state. He used it 20 years ago but can't find the software! I am still exploring other avenues for the software but if all else fails I have already had a PM from someone who is interested in it as is.

Emgee27/03/2021 17:55:16
2310 forum posts
277 photos

Just because the boards have a different appearance they can still use the same software, you won't know until you download and attempt to run the machine.

If you use the link it takes you to a copy of the software to run your machine, if you want an older version I can send that via email if you pm me your email address.

Emgee

Andrew Evans27/03/2021 18:25:33
342 forum posts
8 photos

I think most people upgrade these to work with a modern controller anyway so I can't see you getting any more money if it works with the original software or not. I would sell as is or if you have the inclination upgrade it and then sell.

Andrew Binning27/03/2021 20:31:06
39 forum posts
9 photos

I realise the different boards may run the same software but I was also hoping to get connection schematics which relate to my board. With a view to doing a conversion.

I have sent a PM for the older software. Thanks.

The other query I have just now is regarding the RS232 protocol. Is it a null modem or a DCE-DTE connection. It would be helpful if I could eliminate this as a source of failure before I start trying to work through the software and what files need to be run before which.

Andrew Binning27/03/2021 20:43:28
39 forum posts
9 photos

Whoops! I should have said null modem cable ( Rx to Tx and Tx to Rx or DTE-DCE and hand shaking with the other functions , e.g. RTS to CTS and CTS to RTS) or DTE-DTE in other words straight Tx to Tx and Rx to Rx and so on with the other functions.

I hope I have got this right now

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
Warco
cowells
Eccentric July 5 2018
walker midge
emcomachinetools
JD Metals
rapid Direct
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest