By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Anyone done any Nickel or Chrome plating of mild steel parts at home?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Smith 4725/03/2021 01:49:37
150 forum posts
5 photos

Hello

Have any of you good people done any plating with Nickel or Chrome?

The background is that we are making some prototypes for a consumer product. As part of this we are making magnetic flux guides as part of a magnetic latch for an indoors consumer product. Basically the flux guides need to survive fingerprints without rusting.

We are hoping to use some grade of ferromagnetic stainless steel (nobody thus for can tell me which!), but if that fails to have enough magnetic pull, we may be compelled to a mild steel which we would then plate to make it corrosion resistant.

Is that a difficult process? Have any of you tried it? Do home kits work well? Do we need electrodes or can we do it chemically?

Any advice would be welcome.

J

Hopper25/03/2021 01:53:52
5505 forum posts
137 photos

Zinc plating is cheaper and easier. But not as shiny looking. Plenty of kits available. I've a mate who does it on old motorbike parts with great success. He has done nickel at home too, but not chrome. All seems to go well with no great problems.

Edited By Hopper on 25/03/2021 01:55:19

gary25/03/2021 05:02:22
130 forum posts
31 photos

the home kits for nickel work very well if the instructions are followed exactly. i found it very time consuming as the parts to be plated have to be highly polished and free of any scratches, you can also control the thickness of the nickel by the time it is left in the tank.

colin wilkinson25/03/2021 06:12:57
69 forum posts

Did quite a few motorcycle parts , kits from Gateros. Extremely pleased with the results.

https://www.gaterosplating.co.uk/

Dave Wootton25/03/2021 06:30:17
187 forum posts
47 photos

A few years ago but I replated a 1930's motorcycle at home using a Dynic kit that was available in the 70's and 80's, agree with Gary that it is very time consuming. The kit I had only did the old fashioned dull nickel which had to be polished after plating, The results were very good and although I sold it a long time ago I know it still looks good today, There is a copy of " the vintage motorcyclists workshop " by Radco available free somewhere on the internet which has full practical instructions, I followed these to the letter. Only problem I had is that sometimes it is very difficult to get the plating to get into internal corners. I imagine that the Gateros kit is much the same as my old Dynic, I used their Zinc plating kit with very good results, if that is suitable it seemed slightly easier to use than the nickel. I enjoyed the whole thing found it a very satisfying process, almost magical!

Dave

Edited By Dave Wootton on 25/03/2021 06:30:52

Graham Stoppani25/03/2021 07:54:01
101 forum posts
18 photos

I've done bright nickel and zinc plating using home kits successfully. Chrome plating is a no no for home use because of the cyanide content. However, there are substitutes called "Copy Chrome" and "Replica Chrome" if you Google them, though I haven't tried them myself.

Just to repeat what has already been said, the metal prep. can be time consuming if a high polished finish is needed. Even without a polished finish the metal must be absolutely clean before plating.

Chris Evans 625/03/2021 08:33:44
1923 forum posts

A good few of my motorcycling friends use the DIY kits and have plated things for my bikes.

I believe they are now finding it harder to obtain the battery acid that is used in the process.

Andrew Tinsley25/03/2021 09:59:45
1418 forum posts

All plating needs super clean surfaces. Nickel plating (and nicasil dipping) is straightforward. Chrome plating isn't and requires toxic chemicals. I did a little, 40 years ago when the toxic items were to be had Would not recommend it now, even if you could get the chemicals. Horrendous problems in disposing of the solutions afterwards, as well. Leave it to the professionals!

Andrew.

John Haine25/03/2021 10:59:53
3872 forum posts
224 photos

As this is a prototype I guess that extreme hard wearing and longevity aren't so important. Many years ago we used "Niculoy" to electroless plate on aluminium, actually to make it solderable but the finish was very bright and corrosion resistant. It is still available, I think we got it from RS but they don't stock it now. Google is your friend.

As the name implies the plating is nickel.

Edited By John Haine on 25/03/2021 11:00:23

Roderick Jenkins25/03/2021 11:07:37
2086 forum posts
557 photos

I've used this nickel acetate method with success. I do however use a laboratory type variable DC power supply (only because I've got one)

Geoffrey Croker YouTube video

Rod

Russell Eberhardt25/03/2021 11:37:28
2672 forum posts
86 photos

Years ago I did the nickel plating on the 1929 Morris Cowley shown in my album. I used a recipe that I found in a book from the University chemistry department. Unfortunately I no longer have the recipe. It used some nasty chemicals which were easy to obtain from an industrial supplier at the time. All was done on brass items. For it to adhere properly and last on steel you must copper plate first and you need a cyanide bath to do that well.

If I was doing it now I think I would go to a commercial plating firm.

Russell

KWIL25/03/2021 12:29:27
3395 forum posts
66 photos

I have had a handfull of parts bright nickel plated by a local plater for "tea money", just go and ask them if there is one nearby.

Matt Harrington25/03/2021 12:45:49
182 forum posts
7 photos

I agree with KWIL. Try a local plater. I have sent small batches of items to be bright nickel plated to a company near me and the cost was relatively low.

Matt

Dave Smith 1425/03/2021 12:49:30
174 forum posts
26 photos
Posted by John Smith 47 on 25/03/2021 01:49:37:

We are hoping to use some grade of ferromagnetic stainless steel (nobody thus for can tell me which!), but if that fails to have enough magnetic pull, we may be compelled to a mild steel which we would then plate to make it corrosion resistant.

John

Austenitic stainless steel is non magnetic and is what most people recognise as rust proof Stainless Steel ( althouigh some grades can rust stain). Martensitic Stainless Steel does have magnetic properties, how ever it is at best a corrosion resisting steel and will rust in the correct conditions.

Martin Kyte25/03/2021 13:24:03
2407 forum posts
40 photos

If you are anywhere near Arlsey in Bedfordshire I have used these people before.

**LINK**

Very happy with the results on all my motorcycle chrome.

PS they really really will not do exhausts!!!!!!!!

regards Martin

Bazyle25/03/2021 13:33:33
5896 forum posts
218 photos

The stainless you want is that used for cutlery - go check your spoons with a magnet, It uses chromium up to a certain hardness. Then you have to add Nickel to balance the atomic level stucture. Non magnetic austenitic Stainless "18-8" is so common now it is hard to find other versions (it used to be extra expensive so only used where strength was needed as in nuts and bolts).

Edited By Bazyle on 25/03/2021 13:38:11

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
cowells
JD Metals
ChesterUK
emcomachinetools
Warco
Eccentric July 5 2018
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest