By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Driving trailer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robert Smith 2406/03/2021 13:57:41
12 forum posts

Hello all,this is my first question on this forum but I suspect won't be the last.

I have to build from new or modify from a ready made item, a driving trailer for a two inch scale Allchin traction engine. Does anyone know of any plans or could offer me advice on design and sourcing running gear please?

MichaelR06/03/2021 15:36:37
419 forum posts
81 photos

When I made my trolley for my 2" Traction engine I just went for something simple just a box on wheels, the wheels are plastic with solid rubber tyres, the steering swivel is the top cut off a heavy duty ball bearing caster, the seat is loose to access the built in water tank and spare coal, nothing fancy but it did the job.

pict0485.jpgWpict0152.jpg

MichaelR06/03/2021 15:36:38
419 forum posts
81 photos

When I made my trolley for my 2" Traction engine I just went for something simple just a box on wheels, the wheels are plastic with solid rubber tyres, the steering swivel is the top cut off a heavy duty ball bearing caster, the seat is loose to access the built in water tank and spare coal, nothing fancy but it did the job.

MichaelR

pict0485.jpgWpict0152.jpg

Edited By MichaelR on 06/03/2021 15:37:04

MichaelR06/03/2021 15:41:55
419 forum posts
81 photos

Don't know how that double post came about.

MichaelR

Robert Smith 2406/03/2021 17:04:59
12 forum posts

Thank you Michael for those pictures. They are exactly what I need to get my brain cell cogitating. One thing, where do you rest your feet?

MichaelR06/03/2021 18:08:15
419 forum posts
81 photos

I made the foot rest removable for ease transporting engine and trailer, the foot rests bolt through the trailer base board they are made from 1" square tubing, picture shows them in use.

driver.jpg

duncan webster06/03/2021 18:12:49
3139 forum posts
52 photos

Start with one of these? Might be a bit big I suppose

Screwfix trolley

or a smaller one

smaller

Robert Smith 2406/03/2021 18:24:58
12 forum posts

Thank you Duncan for the links. I tried one of the smaller trolleys but it was horribly unstable when turning owing to the front axle being set too far back. I actually slid off it during testing and I swear the dog laughed!

Michael, thank you for the clarification. May I trouble you for one further piece of information? What is the axle width dimension?

MichaelR06/03/2021 18:58:10
419 forum posts
81 photos

I can't give you the exact width as the engine and trailer have gone to a new owner, but from memory I made the axel width of the trailer to match the rear wheel width of the engine.

Michael.

Robert Smith 2406/03/2021 20:44:59
12 forum posts

Thank you Michael you have been very helpful.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest