Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

The art of the con...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Robin Graham26/02/2021 01:06:01
807 forum posts
209 photos

is sadly lacking in these times I fear. The latest with me was a text message from 'Royal Mail' telling me that I had to pay £2.99 in excess postage charges. Well that could be possible - like many people in these times I get much more stuff delivered than I used to. Hmm. Full marks so far.

What blew it was the sinister warning that if I didn't click on the link and cough up 'further action would be taken'. What 'further action'? That sounds like a threat. From Royal Mail? My interface with them is Jez the postie who would knock on the door and explain.

I'm making a joke of the artlessness of these con-tricks, but presumably people fall for them, and that's not funny.

Robin.

Edited By Robin Graham on 26/02/2021 01:08:18

Hopper26/02/2021 01:25:41
5404 forum posts
131 photos

Possibly some homeless boy in an internet booth in Lagos just trying to get some lunch money. Saddest part is that with the internet the world's richest 10 per cent (that's us) are readily accessible to the world's starving masses but carry on as if they inhabit a different world. Not funny at all really.

But some of his more sophisticated compadres do seem to do remarkably well out of it. Much more than lunch money. Which is hard to believe that people still fall for it, to the tune of tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars. The romance scams seem the most cynical of all and hit the biggest payouts. Incredible.

Edited By Hopper on 26/02/2021 01:30:47

Dave Halford26/02/2021 11:25:51
1395 forum posts
12 photos

What happens in real cases is that postie leaves a card telling you to pick it up from the local sorting office where you will be charged any fee.

More to the point when did you give the PO your mobile number?

HOWARDT26/02/2021 12:10:57
707 forum posts
25 photos

I had the email from the Post Office telling me I needed to make contact re undeliverable parcel. The trouble was the email address they used to me was my old business email which does not get used these days as a day to day address. The email seems to come from Belgium as a lot of spam does.

Nigel Graham 226/02/2021 13:10:00
1275 forum posts
17 photos

If I thought it was genuine I would print the e-mail, take it the local sorting-office, with ID (as they do request) and ask for the parcel there.

However, Royal Mail always leaves a card if they cannot deliver, but I think do charge a small fee for re-delivery or re-direction. I certainly trust it far more than the courier firms, which are designed primarily to deliver to business not domestic addresses, and can be the sloppy ones.

So I'd be very suspicious of an e-mail supposedly from Royal Mail - especially as I have not given it my telephone numbers or e-post address!

mick H26/02/2021 14:45:36
737 forum posts
21 photos

The email seems to come from Belgium as a lot of spam does.

Possibly some homeless boy in an internet booth in Brussels just trying to get some lunch money.

Mick

Mike E.26/02/2021 14:54:13
210 forum posts
31 photos
Posted by mick H on 26/02/2021 14:45:36:

The email seems to come from Belgium as a lot of spam does.

Possibly some homeless boy in an internet booth in Brussels just trying to get some lunch money.

Mick

Should be spending his money on food instead of an internet booth attempting to rob someone.

Tony Pratt 126/02/2021 15:48:59
1472 forum posts
7 photos

What really annoys me is the lack of clear English when I get a phone call scam as happened yesterday on my mobile, they may think they are speaking clearly but usually their accent is so heavy I give up and cut them off.angrywink

Tony

Oven Man26/02/2021 16:33:38
118 forum posts
8 photos
Posted by Tony Pratt 1 on 26/02/2021 15:48:59:

What really annoys me is the lack of clear English when I get a phone call scam as happened yesterday on my mobile, they may think they are speaking clearly but usually their accent is so heavy I give up and cut them off.angrywink

Tony

I had the completely opposite experience recently when a "detective" from the "serious fraud office" rang me about someone using my credit card. The upper class English accent was really convincing and it took a couple of minutes to realise it was a scam.

Peter

Tom Sheppard26/02/2021 17:03:39
27 forum posts

The upper classes do not join the police. They employ them in order to protect the haves from the have nots. Years ago, it was considered a good and charitable thing to give our old computers to developing nations. The recipients, not burdened by the pressures of life in the more developed world, studiously embraced the machines and became very proficient in their use. This made them adept at working cyber cons and redistributed many millions of poundes from the gullible to the dishonest.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest