By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

ML7 Hoover Motor Cover

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dr_GMJN25/02/2021 21:23:09
996 forum posts

Got fed up of cleaning the back of the motor of iron and brass dust, and oil from the bearing. So I made an easy to clean 3D printed cover that presses on to the bearing housing. It’s got a small clamp screw for good measure. Plenty of room around the sides for cooling air too. Sprayed with Black Smoothrite to protect the plastic. Result. Could really do with a new motor I guess.

Howard Lewis26/02/2021 14:40:43
4683 forum posts
10 photos

AS long as the motor can get cooling air, a really good idea.

Years ago, in the afternoon of New Years Eve, the motor on the Myford erupted sparks and smoke.

Took it off and rushed the local Electric Motor rewinders/repairers. Two hours later call to say"Swarf in the centrifugal switch. Come and collect" The two lads had cleaned it up and all worked as it should. Had not been booked in as a job, so gave them a drink and went back home and put things back as they should be. Then made a sheet Aluminium cover to keep swarf from the motor cooling slots. No more trouble!

So, in my book, You did the right thing!

Howard

Dr_GMJN26/02/2021 15:33:18
996 forum posts
Posted by Howard Lewis on 26/02/2021 14:40:43:

AS long as the motor can get cooling air, a really good idea.

Years ago, in the afternoon of New Years Eve, the motor on the Myford erupted sparks and smoke.

Took it off and rushed the local Electric Motor rewinders/repairers. Two hours later call to say"Swarf in the centrifugal switch. Come and collect" The two lads had cleaned it up and all worked as it should. Had not been booked in as a job, so gave them a drink and went back home and put things back as they should be. Then made a sheet Aluminium cover to keep swarf from the motor cooling slots. No more trouble!

So, in my book, You did the right thing!

Howard

Thanks Howard - yes, I kept getting the acrid "electrical" smells, and last year the centrifugal switch wouldn't switch off - it was coated in machining crud. Worked fine once stripped and cleaned. I got the idea from Sparrey's "A man and his lathe" book, which has all sorts of ML7 modifications listed. One is a tin motor cover, which he made for the reasons listed above. I just updated it a bit. There is plenty of room all around, as well as some stand-offs to make sure the sides can't get squashed in:

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest