Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Digital Callipers - again

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
old mart27/02/2021 15:49:12
2850 forum posts
181 photos

Gary, please let us know your opinion of those ambidextrous calipers when you have tried them out.

I am left handed, but tend to use whichever hand fits the job at the time. Lefthanded scissors are the only handed tools which I need, and Fiskars are the best you can buy.

Jon Lawes27/02/2021 16:27:26
507 forum posts

Funnily enough I just bought a Machine DRO set of left handed calipers for use on the lathe. I don't know if they will help much or not but it's an interesting experiment all the same.

Mick B127/02/2021 17:34:19
1862 forum posts
92 photos

When I got some LH calipers I found I was so used to holding ordinary RH ones - by the shank in the left hand whilst closing the jaws by finger and thumb of the right - that the LH ones just sit unemployed in their box, because they require me to learn a new technique to use them.

not done it yet28/02/2021 06:42:50
5790 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by old mart on 27/02/2021 15:49:12:

Gary, please let us know your opinion of those ambidextrous calipers when you have tried them out.

I am left handed, but tend to use whichever hand fits the job at the time. Lefthanded scissors are the only handed tools which I need, and Fiskars are the best you can buy.

Plus

Posted by Mick B1 on 27/02/2021 17:34:19:

When I got some LH calipers I found I was so used to holding ordinary RH ones - by the shank in the left hand whilst closing the jaws by finger and thumb of the right - that the LH ones just sit unemployed in their box, because they require me to learn a new technique to use them.

The ideal situation for one to get rid of something they will never use and for another to get to try out these much handier calipers - at a reasonable (virtually scrap?🙂 ) secondhand cost?

jaCK Hobson28/02/2021 08:48:19
202 forum posts
76 photos

I have a pair from Woolworths £15 maybe 15 years of careless use. Not so long back I took them apart, cleaned and polished bits, knocked off 'sharp edges', and used some watch oil on them. They became so much nicer to use. They do run the battery flat after a couple of months so I buy a bunch of cheap spares. They don't like any moisture at all. I tend to reset the origin every use. I love em.

I splashed out on a pair of iGaging. They are a slight step up. No need to fettle so these feel like the polished and oiled Woolworths right out the box. Had them a year and have not replaced battery. I don't think I have reset the origin either! You can get some that show fractional inches but these are not those: https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/products/igaging-origincal-ip54-digital-caliper-absolute-origin-0-6.

I'm left-handed and don't have a pair of left-handers. I get stupidly annoyed having to pay extra for left handed things! Not as annoyed as I get looking unsuccessfully for left-handed files! If M-DRO did a flash discount on left-handers then I would buy some

By the way - a small amount of fettling can transform other super-cheap stuff. I just got the cheapest linear slide rail off Amazon. I took it apart to cleaned it (see youtube) and go over it with a diamond hone, and the difference is amazing! It doesn't fix the 1mm vertical bend over 400mm length but that should be sorted by suitable packing. And you can tell how they manage to make em so cheap.

Edited By jaCK Hobson on 28/02/2021 08:53:13

Edited By jaCK Hobson on 28/02/2021 09:04:28

Mick B128/02/2021 10:30:10
1862 forum posts
92 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 28/02/2021 06:42:50:

Posted by Mick B1 on 27/02/2021 17:34:19:

The ideal situation for one to get rid of something they will never use and for another to get to try out these much handier calipers - at a reasonable (virtually scrap?🙂 ) secondhand cost?

I don't know any other lefthanded machinists I could give 'em to locally, but one of the grandkids shows signs of lefthanded mechanical aptitude - but he's two, so I'll await developments. smiley

Besides, I know I've come across one or two occasions where an LH caliper was practically essential - but I'll probably never remember what they were till they come up again...

old mart28/02/2021 16:07:15
2850 forum posts
181 photos

I'm left handed, but I would not want to use lefthanded calipers on anything else than work in a lathe spindle. It's what you are used to which just seems natural, I would not want a lefthanded micrometer either.

Gary Wooding04/03/2021 12:57:25
822 forum posts
211 photos

The tilting display callipers arrived yesterday. They seem OK and the rotating display appears to work fine. The following 2 photos show how the display can be tilted to make lathe measurements use easier when in right handed mode, or rotated to allow use left handed. Either way, seems to me, is better than the standard RH type.

tilt digical rh.jpg

tilt digical lh.jpg

Georgineer04/03/2021 17:28:39
503 forum posts
30 photos

That looks rather more convenient than I thought it would be, but I'll stick with my separate left- and right-handed versions.

George B.

Machine-DRO05/03/2021 10:21:34
30 forum posts
25 photos

"I was aware of the need to properly seat the rubber seal, but the device continued to miss-behave. Then it just gave up - after just 3 years of very light usage. M&W is not what it used to be. I would certainly never buy their stuff again."

I am sorry to hear that, overall we get very good feedback on this caliper, especially given its price point given its accuracy and repeatability. If you wanted to try the M-SURE caliper I would be happy to do a collection on it if you was not happy with it, we are really pleased with what we have achieved with this caliper 😊

"A Sylvac digital caliper from a reputable seller at £55 would tempt me.

Sadly, the lowest priced Sylvac offering at the moment from M-DRO/Allendale [the 30-810-14 S_Cal EVO] is £96 [or a little over £91 when including the standard 5% discount]. I have not found it elsewhere for anything like £55."

That was a stock clearance offer, we do have some units still in stock so happy to offer this price, please email me with the following;

Name
address
emaill

alan@allendale-group.co.uk

The left-handed calipers are more expensive simply because of the smaller market, so the more of you who go out and buy a pair, the cheaper they will become. Go out and buy some now!

100% correct – we are considering launching a left handed M-SURE caliper, but mould tool costs alone are over 20k GBP then higher unit costs as production runs are far smaller.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest