Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Digital Callipers - again

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
martin perman24/02/2021 20:35:36
1950 forum posts
81 photos

I would recommend a ‘left hander’ as it makes checking on the lathe sooo much easier.🙂

I'm left handed and use my calipers upside down, the left handed once I've seen are expensive particulary when I can buy resonable quality ones for £20.00.

Martin P

David Colwill24/02/2021 20:37:01
739 forum posts
38 photos

So why the 5.08? I have various calipers including Moore and Wright that do this.

I have recently ascended to the Mitutoyo club and am very pleased with them.

David.

Michael Gilligan24/02/2021 20:49:12
17667 forum posts
811 photos
Posted by David Colwill on 24/02/2021 20:37:01:

So why the 5.08?

It’s to do with the physical nature of the scale [which is natively Imperial, not metric]

MichaelG.

Edit: __ See my post at the bottom of this page:

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=103411

Edited By Michael Gilligan on 24/02/2021 20:54:18

Oily Rag24/02/2021 21:00:31
370 forum posts
131 photos

#1 Mitutoya - had a 6" for best part of 40 years. Get the one with the measurement adjusting thumb wheel!

#2 Tesa - picked up a 6" at a good price as a standby, and soon after also picked up a 18" at a 'stock clearance sale' - highly underrated brand, also have Tesa Micrometers in metric and they are all quality kit.

#3 Draper - 6" - drop it, kick it, knock it, cover it in oil and swarf and it still works - but I only trust it to 0.002" at best

#4 Guanghuo - 8" Mitutoya lookalike (reputedly comes off the same production line as the Mitutoya - rebranded for the home market) Good but does not live up to the Mitutoya for 'feel', no thumbwheel.

Note: avoid any that say 'Hardened Stainless'

Martin

Edited By Oily Rag on 24/02/2021 21:04:01

bricky24/02/2021 21:06:38
483 forum posts
48 photos

I have a Baty digital which has been very good.

Frank

Pete.25/02/2021 00:13:28
457 forum posts
60 photos

Have a look at sylvac, I bought some on offer just before Christmas for £55 from the forum sponsor allendale, there's another retailer that offers lifetime warranty on these, I emailed sylvac, it's only specific sellers offering that, I think it was 3 years as standard.

These are Swiss made, and had a much nicer feel than any mitutoyo I've used.

Bill Phinn25/02/2021 02:07:18
470 forum posts
78 photos
Posted by Pete. on 25/02/2021 00:13:28:

Have a look at sylvac, I bought some on offer just before Christmas for £55 from the forum sponsor allendale

A Sylvac digital caliper from a reputable seller at £55 would tempt me.

Sadly, the lowest priced Sylvac offering at the moment from M-DRO/Allendale [the 30-810-14 S_Cal EVO] is £96 [or a little over £91 when including the standard 5% discount]. I have not found it elsewhere for anything like £55.

John Haine25/02/2021 06:49:46
3784 forum posts
220 photos

I've posted here on experiences with a Baty unit from Allendale which also exhibited the 2.54mm offset problem even after "repair" by the supplier. I still use my "Trojan" which is good and now have a Mitutoyo inductive scale one which is excellent, also Allendale.

I just got a Mitutoyo 25mm reference piece and it's fascinating to compare what the two calipers, a Mit ordinary mic, and a mit 1 micron reading digital mic make of it. You won't feel the same about digital calipers again...

not done it yet25/02/2021 07:31:19
5790 forum posts
20 photos

Martin,

Yet another using parts of a previous posting without any reference or differrentiation. Please desist. Have you used a left handed caliper? Somehow I doubt it. I have and that left hander is my ‘go to’ in the workshop - even more so than my 4” (right-handed). I couldn’t care a monkey on pricing (mine was in the £20-30 price bracket at the show - but rather more than the price paid by the friend who recommended it the previous year).

I would simply argue that ease of use has a value if the caliper is used with the ‘normal orientated’ lathe. I am naturally right handed and have mitutoyo calipers, too, but reading a caliper upside down or in tight places is not something I would choose to do when there is a far better practical option available - even if the suppliers appear to supply them at an inflated premium.

If you only measure items ‘in hand’ a normal right handed caliper is perfectly adequate (and often easier for the majority of right-handers), but for parts held in the lathe chuck, the left-handed calipers are intrinsically a far better option. All my micrometers are right handed and sometimes I wish some were of the opposite hand - particularly my mitutoyo digi.

This recommendation is from a user with practical experience of both options, not from someone who prioritises cheap pricing when making purchases. I only bought mine on the strong recommendation of a friend. He was spot on with his recommendation.

Bo'sun25/02/2021 09:20:45
396 forum posts

Another vote for Mitutoyo. The Moore & Wright "budget" digital callipers also work well (at least for me anyway).

Just worked out what the "absolute" function was for. Why on earth hadn't I worked it out before?

Machine-DRO25/02/2021 10:29:28
30 forum posts
25 photos

Hi All,

For those not aware of our launch of our own brand M-SURE last year and for those willing to give our standard 150mm Caliper a try I have just applied a 25% discount on this item for online orders (ending Monday 1st March)

**LINK**

If purchasing Mitutoyo please be cautious of the fakes out there, they fall short to the quality standard and battery life that you come to expect of Mitutoyo.

Another thing for any Instagram’ers on here, we are running a Mitutoyo giveaway, ends 1st of March, Good luck;
https://www.instagram.com/p/CLZA8kqLsBl/

Happy to answer any caliper questions you have

Regards

Alan Ward
Allendale Group

Edited By Machine-DRO on 25/02/2021 10:29:51

Edited By Machine-DRO on 25/02/2021 10:32:23

Emgee25/02/2021 10:49:33
1988 forum posts
250 photos
Posted by Machine-DRO on 25/02/2021 10:29:28:

Hi All,

For those not aware of our launch of our own brand M-SURE last year and for those willing to give our standard 150mm Caliper a try I have just applied a 25% discount on this item for online orders (ending Monday 1st March)

**LINK**

Alan Ward
Allendale Group

Hi Alan

Please advise, will the caliper linked to drive the remote display M_SURE MS-620-001 USB REMOTE DISPLAY FOR ALL T1 OUTPUTS ?

Emgee

Machine-DRO25/02/2021 10:57:41
30 forum posts
25 photos

Hi Emgee - That remote display is compatible

Hi Gary - in reply to your original post regarding your M&W caliper, this sounds to be the result of the rubber seal cover not being put back after the battery has been changed, it is needed both to maintain the IP54 rating and to apply small amount of pressure on the battery for it to make reliable contact - worth checking 😊

"It frequently reset it's zero indication to 5.08, so I complained and got it replaced. I didn't particularly like it because it switched itself off too soon when idle, and continued to reset it's zero to 5.08 every now and again, but I persevered, until a couple of weeks ago, when It just went haywire. I've replaced the battery to no avail. It's useless. A great disappointment with a previously respected make."

old mart25/02/2021 16:52:12
2850 forum posts
181 photos

Looking idly at left handed calipers which are useful with lathes, I came upon this one. Even better, it comes from Warco.

**LINK**

Gary Wooding26/02/2021 13:43:40
822 forum posts
211 photos
Posted by Machine-DRO on 25/02/2021 10:57:41:Hi Gary - in reply to your original post regarding your M&W caliper, this sounds to be the result of the rubber seal cover not being put back after the battery has been changed, it is needed both to maintain the IP54 rating and to apply small amount of pressure on the battery for it to make reliable contact - worth checking 😊

I was aware of the need to properly seat the rubber seal, but the device continued to miss-behave. Then it just gave up - after just 3 years of very light usage. M&W is not what it used to be. I would certainly never buy their stuff again.

Gary Wooding26/02/2021 13:48:30
822 forum posts
211 photos
Posted by old mart on 25/02/2021 16:52:12:

Looking idly at left handed calipers which are useful with lathes, I came upon this one. Even better, it comes from Warco.

Strange coincidence. I've just ordered the same thing from Chronos 'cos I'm tired of performing gymnastics to measure things on the lathe.

I'll report back when it arrives and I've used it.

Pete.26/02/2021 17:10:10
457 forum posts
60 photos
Posted by Bill Phinn on 25/02/2021 02:07:18:
Posted by Pete. on 25/02/2021 00:13:28:

Have a look at sylvac, I bought some on offer just before Christmas for £55 from the forum sponsor allendale

A Sylvac digital caliper from a reputable seller at £55 would tempt me.

Sadly, the lowest priced Sylvac offering at the moment from M-DRO/Allendale [the 30-810-14 S_Cal EVO] is £96 [or a little over £91 when including the standard 5% discount]. I have not found it elsewhere for anything like £55.

I bought mine from allendale, there's my receipt, apologies I couldn't find any method of rotating photos in the album?

That price included delivery, very nice quality BTW, I'd highly recommend.

Sylvac

Edited By Pete. on 26/02/2021 17:10:54

Paul Kemp26/02/2021 22:28:53
617 forum posts
18 photos

I bought from Allendale (I believe) at Ally Pally MEX probably in 2016 a 12" calliper on offer for about £50 as I didn't have anything of that size to assist with my half size TE build. It had very little use really only being used for machining ops on the larger bits like diff housing and brake drum etc. I bought in preparation for those parts so didn't get to really use it for about 6 months and before it was a year old I found when sliding closed to check zero it regularly started to jump. Initially it was only small amounts (less than 50 thou which almost caught me out!) but as time went on by inches! Tried cleaning, battery changes etc but nothing seemed to cure it. Any ideas what caused that? I can't follow up as its well out of warranty and it then befell an unfortunate incident where it was on the headstock of the lathe and the machine lamp drooped close to the case and melted a nice depression in it! Typically over the reading head! Opening the box it was very warm and the display had gone completely black! When it cooled down the display returned to normal so I thought I would try it, still functions but still jumps! Looking at it there appears to be play in the measuring head so the moving arm rocks slightly, not good for accuracy anyway but it appears when it rocks it jumps! I can't see any way of adjusting the play out so it's really only fit for the bin! Would be interested if anyone else has had similar experience though and the cause?

Conversely I have a ladle unit that must be 15 years old and is the go to instrument for anything not of high precision. I calibrated it with slip gauges in December out of interest and was quite please it is not more than half a thou out over its full range. It probably gets a new battery every 18 months. Great value for a cheap supermarket item!

Paul.

Georgineer27/02/2021 11:57:09
503 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by old mart on 25/02/2021 16:52:12:

**LINK**

As a left-hander I suspect that this would combine the worst of all worlds, because the jaws would point away from you when used in the left hand. This would be comparable in use with the 'left-handed scissors' I was given which were right-handed scissors (the difference is in the crossover of the blades) with a deeply moulded handle which made it impossible to hold them in the right hand. I threw them away.

I have both left- and right-handed calipers (their black cases differentiated by red and green tape as befits a seafaring town) , and they both have their uses.

The left-handed calipers are more expensive simply because of the smaller market, so the more of you who go out and buy a pair, the cheaper they will become. Go out and buy some now!

George B.

Gary Wooding27/02/2021 13:49:28
822 forum posts
211 photos

My first digital callipers were by Mitutoyo, which I purchased about 40 years ago. I seem to recall that they were rather expensive at about £80. Some years later, at an MEX show, I was tempted by some own-branded ones on a Proops stand, at less than £20. So I treated myself.The digits were larger and easier to read than the Mitutoyo, so I started using them in preference, saving the Mitutoyo for best.

The Mitutoyo is currently not working (needs a good clean, I think), but the Proops special is still working fine and, although it's never switched off, the battery lasts for pretty near a year. Because I got tired of moving the Proops around I decided to buy a M&W as a new best, and that's the one that is now useless. What price quality?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest