Boxford electrical problem

Boxford lathe kept cutting out.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Ray02/03/2021 23:40:46
177 forum posts
43 photos

Hi Graham,

I have become a regular customer of M-Machine metals who advertise in MEW. Whilst eBay seller usually don’t charge postage you pay for it in the material,cost. I try to bulk up an order and then the postage that M machine add is better value, not that their rates are high. Service is efficient & friendly and delivery is fast. Finally they stock a good range of material. If you have a scrapyard near your that can be a good source of material too.

Graham Halstead06/03/2021 13:17:53
15 forum posts
9 photos

9fb011e0-1399-46e1-a10d-9e32e1e05252.jpeg6abbb512-85cc-4a06-b487-318c8a08d742.jpegHi just going through some of the inherited parts I have. I have no idea what these are for ? I’m sure you guys will know?

old drive belt off now and doing bearings on pulley shafts. Label on motor is a stuck on one that is scratched up so can’t see the HP of it. Will post a pic. Old drive belt to head stock was so soaked in oil could almost ring it out.12e4265d-9e9d-4f15-a87b-7abf572319a0.jpeg

many thanks

Graham Halstead06/03/2021 13:24:20
15 forum posts
9 photos

2efc4165-bed7-43ec-8b6c-a71d63f5cb7e.jpeg6334bfe7-74a1-48e5-b969-136296596402.jpegMotor from the lathe. Cant quite read what HP it could be?

d9fed662-0577-4098-ac0e-a0ff18c71ec6.jpeg

noel shelley06/03/2021 13:35:00
484 forum posts
14 photos

MOTOR, can you read any of the numbers ? wattage - 550 or 750 ?, amps 5.4 or 7ish ? ,rpm1425 or 2850. I take it to be single phase ? The numbers are a rough guide. Noel

Speedy Builder506/03/2021 14:47:49
2257 forum posts
170 photos

looking at other Brook Crompton labels (KP7575), the power is marked in Watts on the left hand side of the second line of the typed printing.

Unfortunately, the KP7575 is the part number of a blank label and doesn't help to identify the motor.

Your label shows 240 volts 1425 rpm, single phase, IP 22 and 40degrees C max

I think I can see the wattage marked at 550 watts which is a 3/4 Hp motor ?? as Noel said above.

My Boxford AUD has a 3/4 Hp motor which is adequate, but lacks power for really heavy cuts but good for most of the time. 

Bob

Edited By Speedy Builder5 on 06/03/2021 14:56:08

Howard Lewis06/03/2021 17:48:23
4678 forum posts
10 photos

If the machine has been standing for a LONG time, is it possible that the oil (not grease hopefully ) in some of the bearings has congealed?

If it has, either adding a solvent, such as kerosene or white spirit may soften, together with some patience.

The next step is to relube the bearing with the proper lubricant. Possibly some SAE 30 would suffice. Followed with some gentle running to help distribute the lubricant.,

If the motor is OK, running off load, not overheating, refitting the belt and running, may show the cause by the problem area becoming uncomfortably warm. Hopefully, the solvent, having thinned the "lubricant" may ease things to the overload cut out no longer operates.

No doubt someone will already have said that if the motor runs hot unloaded, it suggests that maybe the centrifugal switch has stuck, keeping the start coil energised. You should be able to hear the centrifugal switch "click" as the motor runs down after power is switched off..

HTH

Howard

Howard Lewis06/03/2021 18:03:46
4678 forum posts
10 photos

Looking at the first picture of the Heritage items.

At the back there is what looks very much like a Swivelling Vertical Slide for a Series 7 Myford.

Front left is what looks like a Rear Toolpost, with part of a "boat" type tool holder.

The Angle Plate at the back of the piocture looks to be a useful piece of eqyipment.

The centre of attraction looks as if it might be a Tailstock for Dividing Head or Rotary Table, but it looks as if it equipped for direct dividing. The gear might even be a 60T Myford one. Is there a chuck, even on a spindle, that would fit in place of the centre?

Are the gears at the far back changewheels for the Boxford?

Howard

Graham Halstead06/03/2021 20:10:34
15 forum posts
9 photos

Hi yes was confused why you would want a diving type device with a centre, makes more sense to have a Chuck like you say. There is a notch cutout I n the Centre with a grub screw lock something in. Yes the gears are for the boxford. Vertical mill slide is a good one to have. It was seized but stripped and found the dovetail locking side grub screws were solid and locking the slide. Managed to get them out all bar 1 and drilled that out, full clean and strip and re oil and works well now. Think it’s ok with only 2 of the 3 screws in. I don’t have a spare. The other bits of kit are confusing for sure. Definitely some form of indexing that can be locked.
hard to see the motor label, but will stick with it as it works. If I run out of power on it I will look to upgrade later.

can’t find the motor part number at all online so guessing it’s nit made anymore. It’s not the original motor for sure.

thanks.

Graham Halstead14/03/2021 08:39:29
15 forum posts
9 photos

New belts and bearings for pulley shafts fitted yesterday. Was really happy with the progress yesterday and managed to turn some parts. Brilliant it all seems to work. I’m sure there’s lots more to do and cover. Thanks to everyone again for the valued support and advice. The Boxford lives on,!

such a great feeling to be able to use it now.

Howard Lewis15/03/2021 14:44:46
4678 forum posts
10 photos

It is possible that the missing gib strip adjuster will be a BA thread, being Myford. You will need a new grubscrew and a nut to lock it once adjusted.

If you want to use on the Boxford, you will probably need to make a new T nut to suit.

An epic case of "Need one to make one"! Maybe for a one off, you might get away with a jury rig, (Turn a bit of bar, tap it and file two flats ) so that the end product can be used for the future.

Howard

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
ChesterUK
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
Warco
cowells
emcomachinetools
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest