Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Snowey trip out

Carers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Oldiron24/01/2021 21:46:21
729 forum posts
23 photos

Just spent 4+ hours out in the snow delivering a couple of lady carers out to an old bedridden gentleman in one of the out lying villages. They tried to get out there at lunch time but their little cars would not make the journey. So picked one up in Corby and the other in Market Harborough. Took them out to Medbourne which is in the sticks. Sat in the car for 2 hours whilst they attended to him. Poor old feller had not had a drink since 7am when one carer got to him before it snowed to much. Coming back the road from Market Harborough was closed because of a crash on one of the hills. Landed up detouring via the A6/A14/A43.

Very thankful for my 4x4.

So a round about trip at less than 40mph and most at less than 30mph all the way. At least it gave me a chance to get out and give the car a run legally smiley

Glad I could help them out. The snow stopped as I got home just after 9pm

regards

pgk pgk24/01/2021 21:59:44
2060 forum posts
290 photos

Kudos!

pgk

Steviegtr24/01/2021 22:27:27
1917 forum posts
256 photos

Oldiron. 4X4 what you got. . Let me guess. Land rover 90 with a v8 rover engine & 21" wheels with humongous snow tyres. Plus a 4 ton winch. Howmy doing.

?????.

Steve.

Oldiron24/01/2021 22:40:48
729 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by Steviegtr on 24/01/2021 22:27:27:

Oldiron. 4X4 what you got. . Let me guess. Land rover 90 with a v8 rover engine & 21" wheels with humongous snow tyres. Plus a 4 ton winch. Howmy doing.

?????.

Steve.

Nope Steve not quite right.

Nissan Patrol TD42, LWB, 32"x 11.5" BF Goodrich all terrain tyres . No winch. Never needed one yet. smiley

regards

Edited By Oldiron on 24/01/2021 22:41:41

Bazyle24/01/2021 22:46:02
5790 forum posts
216 photos

Good move to help out but pity that the carer system doesn't organise local services as snow aside it both wastes time and energy while not offering local in-village employment.

On my late afternoon stroll it was clear which cars had moved during the day - and how many of those hadn't cleared the snow off the roof before doing so. But at least most of the 4x4s 'kid taxis' are inhibited at the moment. Meanwhile it was also pleasing to see that most houses were not melting the snow off the roof owing to lack of insulaton.

JA24/01/2021 23:41:36
1102 forum posts
62 photos

Medbourne - Truely great place with the Nevill Arms and the Horse & Trumpet. I am sure the latter closed years ago. It was an anachronism even when I lived in the next village, Drayton, in the mid 1970s.

I remember coming back from Market Harborough late one freezing February night on the bike. It had just rained and I had a little too much beer in me. Just before Medbourne the road forked, right towards the village and home. The gritting lorry had turned left and I went into the hedge.

It would be nice to be there now. But.............

JA

Oldiron25/01/2021 07:32:25
729 forum posts
23 photos

Bazyle. Hi, the care company tried to get Northants 4x4 club to help them but the phone was busy all the time. So probably extremely busy. Northants 4x4 do a lot of bad weather volunteering for the community. The care company have a lady carer in the next village but she could not get her car up the hill between her and Medbourne. They put out a call for help on FB. As my wife is friends with one of the carers she volunteered me to help out. smiley

JA. Hi, I think the Neville Arms is now the only pub in the village. First time I had been out that way for about 5 years. A very nice place to live by the looks of it.

regards

Joe McKean25/01/2021 08:08:09
46 forum posts

Well done Oldiron I had trouble getting from one end of Corby to the other in my VW , going to walk to the shop this morning.

Howard Lewis25/01/2021 09:04:43
4455 forum posts
8 photos

Well Done, Good work, for all concerned.

Currently (0900 ), -3.7 in Peterborough, lowest was -4.8 @ 0610 this am.

Small beer for some parts of the globe, but pretty unusual for this part of the country

And King Knut and Ethelred the Unready were our ancestors!

Howard

Anthony Kendall25/01/2021 09:31:05
98 forum posts
Posted by Oldiron on 24/01/2021 21:46:21:

Just spent 4+ hours out in the snow delivering a couple of lady carers out to an old bedridden gentleman in one of the out lying villages. They tried to get out there at lunch time but their little cars would not make the journey. So picked one up in Corby and the other in Market Harborough. Took them out to Medbourne which is in the sticks. ......

Well done Oldiron.

Good to see people still care.

Oldiron25/01/2021 10:02:04
729 forum posts
23 photos
Posted by Joe McKean on 25/01/2021 08:08:09:

Well done Oldiron I had trouble getting from one end of Corby to the other in my VW , going to walk to the shop this morning.

Hi Joe. Took the wife to work on the Earlstrees at 6 this morning and it was freezing -3. Good old Corby council had not sent a gritter out as far as I could see.

regards

Nicholas Farr25/01/2021 10:09:56
2630 forum posts
1225 photos
Posted by Bazyle on 24/01/2021 22:46:02:

Good move to help out but pity that the carer system doesn't organise local services as snow aside it both wastes time and energy while not offering local in-village employment.

On my late afternoon stroll it was clear which cars had moved during the day - and how many of those hadn't cleared the snow off the roof before doing so. But at least most of the 4x4s 'kid taxis' are inhibited at the moment. Meanwhile it was also pleasing to see that most houses were not melting the snow off the roof owing to lack of insulaton.

Hi, it is against UK motoring law not to clear snow off the roof before you drive it on public roads , but not a lot of people know that.

Good to hear people put themselves out to help others in need.

Regards Nick.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest