Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Advice for a newbie on tools and tool post for a Myford super 7

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Pete.23/01/2021 22:34:03
400 forum posts
57 photos

Thank you very much Ian, that's what I remember seeing a while back, then more recently when considering buying, it was an updated site and that wasn't What I saw, thanks.

clivel23/01/2021 22:53:08
310 forum posts
13 photos

Like others have mentioned in this thread, I can highly recommend a tangential tool. Although it is possible to make one's own, as a beginner, buying would be easiest.

Although not particularly cheap, I have the "Diamond tool holder" as supplied by Eccentric Engineering who advertise on this site on both my Unimat and Myford ML7 lathes.

The cost is somewhat mitigated by how versatile the tools are. In my case, they are almost permanent fixtures, used for nearly everything other than boring and parting. So there is a saving in not having to carry a range of tools and with fewer tool changes, there is less advantage in having a QCTP. Especially as the Diamond Tool has a built-in height adjustment.

Using the supplied jig, sharpening the Diamond Tool is trivially easy. It is almost impossible to get it wrong even for the clumsiest of us, and if anything, it gave me the confidence to experiment with freehand sharpening of HSS tools on the rare occasion that I need a different tool form.

Clive

Edited to add:
Sorry for the duplication with the previous posters, but I wrote this post and then forgot to post it before going for lunch. Posting it when I came back, I hadn't realised that the thread had moved on in the meantime

Edited By clivel on 23/01/2021 23:10:27

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest