Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Cheap 4.5" grinding discs

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
pgk pgk22/01/2021 14:56:11
2059 forum posts
290 photos

I was just looking to get one for a one-off job since my stocks are all cutting discs (except for the grinding discs I can't find!!) and noticed that screwfix have some for collection only at 19p each

I couldn't be bothered to drive 30miles round trip for that so ordered elsewhere on-line for a couple of quid more.

But if you use lots...

pgk

larry phelan 122/01/2021 16:45:55
942 forum posts
14 photos

At that price you can,t go far wrong !

But for collection only ? Pity,, Pity.

Who do you know who lives near Screwfix ???cheeky

Steviegtr22/01/2021 16:49:37
1905 forum posts
250 photos

I have used the screwfix ones & had good results. I also have used some el cheepo's once that should be banned.

Steve.

old mart22/01/2021 17:00:59
2659 forum posts
176 photos

Be aware that reputable makes have a date stamped in the metal boss. This is the expiry date for the discs, there are plenty on sale which are out of date. One of the volunteers at the museum brought this to my attention and I ended up destroying most of the supply of 4 1/2" and 7" discs.

pgk pgk22/01/2021 17:06:39
2059 forum posts
290 photos

Click and collect at my 'local' (15 miles each way) screwfix is well handled during C-19 when I have had to go... guy outside with walkie checks it's clear for next customer at counter...floods en route are receeding so it might have been possible but £1.50 in leccy for my car unless going that way for other reasons....

pgk

not done it yet22/01/2021 17:23:17
5581 forum posts
20 photos

but £1.50 in leccy for my car unless going that way for other reasons....

Are you not on a cheap-rate tariff? Even at 3 miles/kWh, leccy might be only 50p (how cheap these motoring miles become when you go electric🙂 ). Not much solar gain from PV this time of the year or it could even be ‘free’ home generated power🙂 .

One tariff was actually paying as much as 90p for every unit sent to the grid at one period last week (but charging 35p/kWh for users) and was likely paying the customer a few pence for every unit used during the recent storm.

pgk pgk22/01/2021 21:09:31
2059 forum posts
290 photos
Posted by not done it yet on 22/01/2021 17:23:17:

but £1.50 in leccy for my car unless going that way for other reasons....

Are you not on a cheap-rate tariff? Even at 3 miles/kWh, leccy might be only 50p (how cheap these motoring miles become when you go electric🙂 ). Not much solar gain from PV this time of the year or it could even be ‘free’ home generated power🙂 .

One tariff was actually paying as much as 90p for every unit sent to the grid at one period last week (but charging 35p/kWh for users) and was likely paying the customer a few pence for every unit used during the recent storm.

Out in the sticks we can't get a mobile signal so can't get smart meters/fancy tariffs. we're on (I think) 15p/KWH. The trip to Oswestry is 15 miles each way but in winter there's an overhead in warming the car and it's battery at the start of a journey and a little more after a short stop and wait. I get about 450wh/m on a trip there this time of year. It would come down to better average on a longer trip at steady speeds. Funnily enough if I go to the other nearer town only 12 miles away (but no screwfix) I actually use more leccy because of topography 500wh/m winter. Solar not as much use here due to a 300ft ridge south of me circa 1 mile and lots of trees.

pgk

Samsaranda22/01/2021 21:20:52
1037 forum posts
5 photos

PGK, if your 15 miles from Oswestry does the sun shine that far up the country in winter? 😜

Dave W

pgk pgk22/01/2021 23:07:34
2059 forum posts
290 photos

Dave W

If the sun shines in this neck of the wood we call it drought..

pgk

duncan webster23/01/2021 00:21:29
3035 forum posts
36 photos

Oswestry is down south! In this neck of the woods if the sun is shining it's a sure sign it's going to rain

mechman4823/01/2021 11:35:08
2852 forum posts
442 photos
Posted by duncan webster on 23/01/2021 00:21:29:

Oswestry is down south! In this neck of the woods if the sun is shining it's a sure sign it's going to rain

In my neck of the woods, Cleveland/Teesside if you can see the Cleveland hills it's going to rain, if you can't see the hills, it is raining devil.

George.

Roger Best23/01/2021 16:29:53
215 forum posts
31 photos

This is just for impulse buys for those who turn up.

Screwfix is set up for people who buy loads of stuff at a time.

Steviegtr23/01/2021 16:37:12
1905 forum posts
250 photos

I keep forgetting we now have a Screwfix in Garforth, near me. The amount of times i have gone elsewhere & remembered. Old age ,great eh.

Steve.

Pete.23/01/2021 16:39:19
400 forum posts
57 photos

When I bought my brushless 18v makita grinder a couple years back, it came with a Makita branded grinding disc, it's by far the best I've ever used, it's a light brown beigey colour rather than black like most, it seems slightly softer and doesn't skip around on the surface of whatever you're grinding.

I normally use 3" roloc abrasives, but if I ever wanted more hard discs, those are what I'd look for.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest