By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

What lathe

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 12:35:10
37 forum posts

Correct I now in retrospect liked the myfords but didn’t like messing with gears. I also liked the db8vs but found it lacked in quality control and that electronic board an motor set up was in my opinion a bit toyish

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 12:39:14
37 forum posts

So I’m currently looking at a boxford

Tony Pratt 123/01/2021 12:45:53
1403 forum posts
6 photos

Joshua, you have now arrived at the position most of us faced at one time or another, I had a super 7 for years which is now with my son, an excellent quality product but limited in capacity. I went for a Warco 290V lathe, so much more capable than the Myford but rough as old boots in places. Your choice as always is old British/American/European iron or new Chinese products, both have their good & bad points!

If pre loved, condition is key as you have found out so if going down that route again you must see the lathe in the flesh, if you don't like change gears & who does get a screw cutting gearbox.

There are loads of threads on this subject but no easy answers.

Tony

Edited By Tony Pratt 1 on 23/01/2021 12:46:41

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 12:47:27
37 forum posts

Yeah that’s exactly where am at

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 12:48:24
37 forum posts

What about a proxxon pd400 any one got one?

Robert Butler23/01/2021 12:51:52
204 forum posts
6 photos

We thought you required a gearbox?

Robert Butler

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 12:53:12
37 forum posts

Like not essentiall mate

br23/01/2021 13:03:25
457 forum posts
3 photos

Myford ML7 Lathe, little used and well maintained. Comes with set of change wheels, 3-jaw (x2) and 4-jaw chucks, face-plates (x2), travelling and fixed steadies.(Does not include Dickson toolpost shown in photo) (buyer collects – location Cardiff). Available separately, Dickson toolpost with 13 holders and 9 assorted cutting tools, £200.

In the classifieds - FOR SALE

Not likely to get ripped off by a forum member.

Also, there is always the WANTED section?

br

Edited By br on 23/01/2021 13:05:06

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 13:05:51
37 forum posts

That sounds ok I’ll look now

not done it yet23/01/2021 14:22:46
5581 forum posts
20 photos

As to the PCP air guns, one can get about 100 (accurate) shots from the normal 200 Bar bottle on the gun. One can charge the gun either by a manual pump or from an air bottle (not all firemen go scuba diving🙂 ).

The 100 shots is usually achieved by fitting a regulator (or buying a gun which has one already fitted). One generally achieves a higher pellet count with a 0.22 caliber, at the legal 12 foot pound limit (16 Joules), than a similar 0.177 gun.

The Air Arms S410, I use at the range, gives about 70 shots maximum, not all of which are at the best part of the pressure band for accuracy. 195-115 Bar, with those above 180 and below 125-130 decidedly of poor consistency or drooping trajectory. The Air Arms S200, that my wife prefers to use, is far noisier than the much heavier S410 I use. The S410 has a sound moderator but there is not one fitted to the S200 she uses. It is certainly not deafening, but certainly would be more noticeable in a vermin control situation. It is loud enough to make ear defenders worthwhile/sensible at the range.

The S410 totes a magazine holding 10 pellets; the S200 can be fitted with a 10 shot magazine but is a single shot gun (magazines are not permitted in competition shooting, I believe). Both are capable of blasting the bull from a target with ten pellets, leaving a single hole (a little larger than a single pellet hole with the 0.22) at 20m.

There are guns which are well out of the range of the average for PCPs, but I’ve not seen one (yet) with a 30 shot magazine (they do exist - but probably only for ‘plinkers&rsquo.

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 14:29:30
37 forum posts

S410 is a lovely rifle

Vic23/01/2021 16:36:19
2733 forum posts
1 photos

The problem with most ML7’s is that they have a bore too small for working on airgun barrels. I have a modest 8 x 14 lathe and it has a more useful 20mm bore.

I only have a bit of experience with FT guns and they generally have a 200 bar cylinder which gives around 100 shots with a reg set to about 60 bar. I think the Walther’s had 300 bar cylinders which may have given more shots but as diving cylinders only go up to 300 bar filling them up to full capacity could be a problem.

I don’t know if it’s true but I was told the legal limit is effectively just under 12ft lbs. If you’re caught with an AIr Rifle that when tested achieves 12ft lbs that’s a court case. For Pistols it’s only 6ft lbs. Most FT shooters try to ensure their rifles are safely under the limit. If you leave a legal PCP in a warm place in the summer for example though it can easily go over the limit, I’ve seen it happen.

I’ve made parts from 99% commercially pure Titanium without too much problem with sharp HSS tools but as said if you let it rub it catches fire pretty easily BTDT. laugh Ti6Al4V seems to be commonly available but I’ve found it tougher to machine.

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 16:42:45
37 forum posts

I think it’s the co2 rifles that go up in the heat but you could be right I ft 22 springer class I run mine at around 10.5flb for accuracy it lowers the recoil

not done it yet23/01/2021 17:55:39
5581 forum posts
20 photos

Projectile weight is also a factor which may give over-the-limit results if the gun is adjusted to be very close to the limit.

Limit was 12 foot Pounds but possibly they now use the SI unit and have rounded it to 16?

Recoil is exactly the same for any system - the only factors being mass of gun and the mass and muzzle velocity of the pellet. The difference with springers is the inertia of the spring/piston which causes apparent opposing forces before the pellet exits the muzzle. Momentum must be conserved - it is a Law of Physics.

’Dieseling’ springers will easily produce muzzle velocities exceeding the speed of sound but it neither improves accuracy nor the health of the gun - apart from breaking the law, of course. ‘Washering’ the spring used to be a common method of ‘up-rating’ a springer (before the laws were applied quite so forcefully).

gary23/01/2021 18:05:46
125 forum posts
31 photos

interesting info on the air rifles, for what its worth i owned a boxford and a super 7 i would choose the boxford every time. i now have a harrison m250 and would not part with it.

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 18:05:57
37 forum posts

Don’t know about “dieseling pellets” but yeah correct yeah a calculation between pellet weight an speed equals power how ever you measure it in joules or foot pounds. Common pellets on the market do change the “power” but only by around 1/2 flb typically that’s why most manufacturers set rifles to around 11 ish with springers an they do creap up over time once bedded in. Pcps tend to be set a bit higher as the generally a lot mor consistent

Joshua Kempster23/01/2021 18:07:05
37 forum posts

I think iv got a boxford cud sorted lol

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Support Our Partners
cowells
emcomachinetools
Warco
JD Metals
Eccentric July 5 2018
ChesterUK
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest