By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by Allendale Jan 24th

Newbie from North Hampshire

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jonathan White 421/01/2021 13:09:00
4 forum posts

Good day to you all - I've been reviewing many a thread on this site - some really helpful info for me a complete novice.

My father had wood working lathes and spent hours in his shed. A lathe has always been something I've wanted and so I found a Myford ML7 for sale locally - an engineer owned it and only wanted what seemed a fair price.

I paid my money and took my chance - it was delivered to my door on a bench and so far has only needed, new oil lite bushings all round, new counter shaft, new oilers - complete strip down to remove all the grease which had been pumped into the oil ways....

A bit of paint and it's up and running nicely...

I love it - I make chips....and that's it....just taking chunks of metal and making them smaller is so therapeutic!

Now I want a Mill. I've been looking at the SX2 but it is clearly a rubbish time to buy as everything seems to be out of stock...

Anyone selling one - let me know.

Thanks

Jon

br21/01/2021 13:15:24
461 forum posts
3 photos

Axminster are listing as in stock?

br

SillyOldDuffer21/01/2021 13:18:52
6877 forum posts
1539 photos

Welcome to the forum Jonathan.

You've fulfilled one of my early lathe fantasies - finding a local Myford at a good price that the nice man delivered and it didn't need major rework. A bench too! Happy days.

Cheers

Dave

noel shelley21/01/2021 13:27:05
381 forum posts
9 photos

Welcome aboard shipmate ! Where abouts are you ? Noel.

Jonathan White 421/01/2021 18:40:45
4 forum posts

Thank you.

i'm in Farnborough. I was considering an axminster but its a good few hundred more than some and has the tilting head. Reading the reviews the solid column seems to be better/more rigid but happy to be told differently!

jon

Brian H21/01/2021 18:52:30
2039 forum posts
111 photos

Hello Jonathon and welcome. I'm nowhere near you, in North Derbyshire but at least this site means you can talk to people who are miles away.

When you've finished making piles of swarf, what are your plans?

The general consensus on tilting heads seems to be leave it fixed and find a way to tilt the job.

Brian

Oldiron21/01/2021 19:01:57
726 forum posts
23 photos

Hi Jonathan. Welcome to the forum.

regards

Howard Lewis21/01/2021 19:51:07
4448 forum posts
8 photos

Welcome!

Yes, making swarf salves many pains, even if little to show for it except peace of mind.

And the sense of satisfaction when you have made / repaired / refurbished something and it does what was intended. Oh Bliss!

Lots of help available on here, whatever your interest.

Try to find a Model Engineerring club, near by to join and to mix with fellow minds and enthusiasts.

IPMS meet in Farnborough, obviously associated with the Railway Enthusiasts Club.

Howard

Jonathan White 421/01/2021 20:04:39
4 forum posts

thanks

plans after I get the hang of making metal smaller...well im not sure if I'm honest.

I think I'd like to try a basic engine of sorts, I've watched lots of YouTube as is tradition and there are numerous projects on there...

don't tell her indoors but I just got the email fro. Arc saying the Sx2P is back in stock so I've just ordered one..🙄😂

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of Model Engineer or Model Engineers' Workshop? Use our magazine locator links to find your nearest stockist!

Find Model Engineer & Model Engineers' Workshop

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
JD Metals
emcomachinetools
ChesterUK
Eccentric July 5 2018
cowells
Warco
Eccentric Engineering
Subscription Offer

Latest "For Sale" Ads
Latest "Wanted" Ads
Get In Touch!

Do you want to contact the Model Engineer and Model Engineers' Workshop team?

You can contact us by phone, mail or email about the magazines including becoming a contributor, submitting reader's letters or making queries about articles. You can also get in touch about this website, advertising or other general issues.

Click THIS LINK for full contact details.

For subscription issues please see THIS LINK.

Digital Back Issues

Social Media online

'Like' us on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter
 Twitter Logo

Pin us on Pinterest